Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I have been loving my 2013 Tiger 800 Roadie. I have taken it off road, on fire roads, on long trips.. but something recently has been bothering me. I ride with a group of sportbike riders often, I used to be a CBR600rr and Striple owner, and they have become my buddies. I can usually keep up with them on our open road stints while we're cruising, and on the twisties I am usually able to pass up these guys. The Tiger can take some REALLY nice corners at a good speed! I am constantly amazed by how well this bike takes lines.

Something I have noticed however;

0-99 mph the bike feels very planted. 105 and up and the bike feels very washy in the front end. I nearly caught myself in a dangerous speed wobble coming out of a turn at about 103 at the apex. I Throttled out and got my weight distributed better and was able to catch the bike before the wobble became a death wobble.

I am wondering if anyone else has had this happen of if this is just something I need to get used to with the bike, or if I can do something to fix my problem. I saw a couple other threads talking about this, but after coming out of that turn I figured I'd ask about my specific situation.

I am 5'10", 175 lbs.

I have the Heidenau K60 tires at the proper cold PSI. (Wondering if these 50/50 tires are the reason) I am REALLY thinking about switching to Pilot 3 Trails if its the knobbies that are throwing my front end awash

I have wolfman soft saddle bags that are usually never full.

I have not messed with suspension settings or preload since I am not sure If I'd want the rear stiffer to keep weight on the front end or softer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
No experience with the model but I'd lose those tires and see if the steering stem doesn't need to be snugged up as well.

·
Super Moderator
2,944 Posts
Those bikes are picky with tires at speed and those tires you have aren't very sporty tire. Lose them if you want to ride fast like that. Also be cautious of how you have the bike loaded if you carry any luggage of any sort.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I think I'd get more road based tires-the K60s are a great compromise for occasional fire roads but not ideal for haulin' ass round corners

·
Registered
24 Posts
Speed wobble

Wheels - any flattening in center of front tire tread is not a good, promotes tank slippers

Aero - luggage is really dangerous at high speeds. Moves center of pressure aft. Will wobble rear badly, especially in crossword. My Ducati panniers are limited to 90mph and there fairly Aero.

Tire pressure - too low pressures on street, not airing up after trail

Worn headset

These are the most common I can think of

Bob

·
Registered
472 Posts
My feeble brain says stop trying to ride a 50/50 tire like a 90/10 tire and your issues will likely go away :thumbsup

Just because a tire is rated for a certain speed doesn't necessarily mean you should ride that fast :rofl >:)

·
Premium Member
7,344 Posts
My feeble brain says stop trying to ride a 50/50 tire like a 90/10 tire and your issues will likely go away :thumbsup
I don't have any first hand experience riding with the Heidenau K60's, but I have ridden with people that had them on their Tigers and BMW's. They are a very good tire for riding dirt but over the road they have their limitations... especially at speed in the corners and on wet roads.

So no Keith, it's not your feeble brain saying to not ride a 50/50 Heidenau K60 tire like you have a high performance road tire on your bike. Just common sense in my opinion... :nod

Bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey all! I appreciate the restraint in smart ass comments, I kind of had it coming. I know I probably shouldn't be cornering too crazy with 50/50s on. I do significantly more road travel than dirt (commuting and I do ride with a lot of sportier bikes), so I was thinking about getting the Pilot Road 4 Trails. Seem like a universally approved tire for these bikes.

·
Banned
1,585 Posts
Took my T8XRx down to ride the Italian Alps fully loaded with camping gear Trax ally 45/37 panniers, 52L Givi Trekker topbox + 15L City tankbag, total load 85lbs + 200lbs of me. It handled the Alpine passes/hairpins fine with the stock Metz Tourance Next tyres. Mind, I wasn't cornering at 100'ish mph. Some of those hairpins are a 1st/2nd gear job. On the normal roads 80 -90 was fine. It aint a sports bike but handles great in the tight twisties, horses for courses innit 'tis a pig on stilts.
I'll maybe fit PR4 trails when these tyres wear out but no good reason to change.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I was alarmed by the title of this thread, as I have a 2016 Tiger 800 Roadie, until I got to the 105 mph part. Whew! I don’t think I’ve seen 99 yet, and certainly not while cornering. Good thing there are people out there to test the limits for the rest of us. ?

·
Banned
1,585 Posts
I was alarmed by the title of this thread, as I have a 2016 Tiger 800 Roadie, until I got to the 105 mph part. Whew! I don’t think I’ve seen 99 yet, and certainly not while cornering. Good thing there are people out there to test the limits for the rest of us. ?

They go an awful lot faster in the pub :wink2:

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
My 2012 800XC had Heidenau K60's on it. They were kind of buzzy, but ran ok, no problems. I changed them out with Shinko 805/804 on concerns of wet weather grip. I commute a lot, and also wanted off road capability. I started getting a speed wobble around 75mph, no matter what pressure I run at. I did find that the front tire is not round, so that probably has everything to do with it. The Shinkos will be coming off. Never again. I'll try Full Bore M40/M41 next. I read a lot about Tigers and found a lot of people are having issues with speed wobbles. So I bought a RalleMoto RM3 steering damper. Problem compensated for.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well this 'corner' is a section of 75 mph hour highway that makes a decent corner. For years I have taken that section of the road looking forward to that exact turn, it Just took me by surprise when I did it the first time on this bike at similar speeds and it felt pretty washy lol. I know it shouldn't take me by too much surprise, I am on K60s, but it did :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts