Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In rearranging the garage last night I moved the bike and misgauged. It fell and slid about a foot down my driveway. So far at a glance, bent brake lever, trashed right fairing and scraped right mirror.

I need more time when it's light out and I can focus on the full damage - but in the meantime I'm debating insurance vs self-fix.

I know that the fairing by itself is about $500 (with the silver trim piece). Set of brake levers $150. Bleed/replace time etc. I'm out about $1k if a dealer does this. If I do it - we'll see, but first I need a clue on where to get used parts. I'm sure someone out there must have parts off a crashed bike that ended sunny-side up, but where to look?

Ebay and classifieds here no yield, and we're in the winter season so it's not like there will be a big push on parts.

If I go through insurance, my deductible is $250 and I can expect the annual to go up $150, $100, $50 years one two and three. So net-net, $450 loss that route. If I can get the parts together for less than that, it's the way to go (keeps mark off record at that).

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Peet

·
Registered
155 Posts
In rearranging the garage last night I moved the bike and misgauged. It fell and slid about a foot down my driveway. So far at a glance, bent brake lever, trashed right fairing and scraped right mirror.

I need more time when it's light out and I can focus on the full damage - but in the meantime I'm debating insurance vs self-fix.

I know that the fairing by itself is about $500 (with the silver trim piece). Set of brake levers $150. Bleed/replace time etc. I'm out about $1k if a dealer does this. If I do it - we'll see, but first I need a clue on where to get used parts. I'm sure someone out there must have parts off a crashed bike that ended sunny-side up, but where to look?

Ebay and classifieds here no yield, and we're in the winter season so it's not like there will be a big push on parts.

If I go through insurance, my deductible is $250 and I can expect the annual to go up $150, $100, $50 years one two and three. So net-net, $450 loss that route. If I can get the parts together for less than that, it's the way to go (keeps mark off record at that).

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Peet
Fix it yourself.. the silver trim piece on the fairing is $35 on bike bandit.
You can re-paint the fairing if it's not destroyed much cheaper than you can buy one.
You can Buy the replacement decals also.
You don't have to re-bleed the brakes for the rear brake lever. I replaced mine after a tipover without doing so. Just bought the lever off bike bandit and took less than 10 minutes

Check your bar end weights also. I bent the bolt on mine when my bike was tipped over

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Fairing is $580 or so and the Silver trim DOESNOT come with it. That is another 50.

Brake lever is cheap, about 40 bucks. Not sure about the mirrors.

I am sorry to hear about this. That really sucks. When mine blew over I thought I would cry.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had a tip over yesterday and am in the same dilemma. Insurance or not, have no idea how much my rates would go up and don't want them to total the bike (being an '01 its not worth very much to the insurance company).

My frame slider broke off, so it hit hard and then landed on the fairing. I had the side hard bags on so that got all scrapped up and it bent the brake lever too.

Such a tough decision, would hate for insurance to total it. Let us know what route you end up taking.

·
Registered
329 Posts
fix it yerself

The fairing is your biggest expense, if it is not cracked and only gouged it can be filled, sanded and repainted (well if cracked that also can be plastic welded). Check around and find a body shop that also does motorcycle body repair/painting. I've traditionally have done my own body filling, surface prep etc. and then take it to a good painter. I got hooked up with a good shop by asking a new bike dealer where they take their stuff (new bikes get scratched, marred etc and sometimes need a section repainted) and they recommended a shop to me. Also i've found that bike only body repair shops seem to be higher in costs that those that do both but that is based on a very limited sample. Any shop should have stuff recently done and not picked up yet that you can check on the quality of work, get recommendations and check out their work.
Like you i avoid the insurance reporting, plus i carry a very high deductable ($1000) to keep my rates low. As a result with minor and major crashes i fix it myself...i break it...i fix it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Quick update... after speaking with my agent in more detail, since the bike fell on its own I think I'm off the hook. The comprehensive portion of the policy will cover it for a $100 deductible and no impact to my rates. Never say never - but it seems that this ordeal may be easier than I expected.

Good luck to the rest of you in this boat!
P

·
Registered
119 Posts
Might I ask what frame sliders you have?
They are the ones from Sky King. You can see in this picture, the supplied double-end stud broke inside the engine mount on the frame. This was the 2nd time it has fallen over on this side, so maybe the hardware is only good for one fall and then needs to be replaced.

I am going to post a thread about this as I can't find a metric double-end stud locally for a replacement.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I had skyking sliders on, then switched to LSL sliders because they use an offset bracket that is easily replaced. The LSLs break off too, as I found out dumping the bike on a coolant slick @ 35mph on the PCH a month ago.

If you have no luck finding a replacement stud, PM me and I'll sell you the set of skykings for cheap-ish if you'd like.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts