Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally did it. i dropped my cool moto scooter today. And did some damage. Let me set the scene.

I had just finished changing the oil in my truck and was putting everything back in the garage. Now I didn't just stuff everything back in there all willy-nilly, I had to sweepit out and rearange stuff to put my toys, the 2 bikes and the 2 handicaped bikes (they have 4 wheels ya know) closer to the door.

All the toys save one, were safe back in the garage. So I prepare to wheel the Sprint in.

A while back you may remember I had an incident were the two bikes got into a shoving match out in the driveway and they both fell over, one in the grass the other against the truck. No harm no foul. I now keep them separated so that won't happen again.

So back to todays story. I picked the Sprint up off the kickstand but didn't fold it up because if I got off balance I can always drop it back on the stand. Then proceeded to walk it down the front sidewalk and hang the corner into the garage and then the unimaginable happened. As the bike rolled forward the front tire rolled off the edge of the sidewalk. No big deal I was ready for the weight tranfer toward me. But I was not ready for the kickstand to dig into the concrete and act like a pogo stick and throw the bike onto its rightside, and drag me over with it.

The damage consists of:
1.RH lowers scratched up
2. brake lever bent into a U
3. chromethingy snapped off

Here are some pictures (I hope).

Its not horrible and I have a friend who owns a body shop, but as I was telling the wife I realized this was the first time I dropped a bike and messed up something in 9 years. And the biggest insult is it happened in the driveway and not out on the road. This just bites!

·
Super Moderator
21,184 Posts
...And the biggest insult is it happened in the driveway and not out on the road. This just bites!
Empathies kubbie - I parked mine on the sloping driveway while I went to put my gear on - stupidly facing down the hill. (It was congested just outside the garage on the 'flat' spot with parked cars)

Walking back up to the garage, obviously with back to bike, I heard the crash as it went over. The slider saved most but major rash on the stator case. I was able to refinish that successfully however without having to replace it - even though it looked like it was a goner!

Will never park on sidestand facing downhill again! :mad:

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Been there done that got the tee shirt and paid the 500 bucks for the fairing :(

Very sorry to hear about it...

--Kory

·
Registered
213 Posts
Major empathy.

It hurts at the time and I'm not sure in my case what was worse, the wife bending my ear about the damage or the fact she couldn't stop laughing while she did it.

But like I was told at work, nobody got killed.
If it's just a few bruises and scrapes, we get to learn and move on.
(but it's still sickening at the time)

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Sorry about your mishap.

The damages do not appear to be anything more than a bit of sanding and filling and repaint. If you wanted to, you could do the repairs yourself, then take it to your friend for the painting.

I think you are going to be mildly shocked at the chrome swoosh and decal costs.:mad:

It the swoosh was not scratched it could have easily been reinstalled with screws.

The brake lever can be straightened. Inspect the switch for correct operation.

Remove the fairing an inspect all of the mount tabs. Look closely for cracks. You should also inspect the lower mount points on the opposite fairing.

The top mount point attached to the frame is easily bent in the upward direction from fairing impact. You might want to keep that in mind in case you experience a bit of difficulty when reinstalling the fairing/fastener at that position.

In the the Body & Fender section, item 17 is the fastener I am referring to.

http://www.bikebandit.com/triumph-motorcycle-sprint-st-2006/o/m17659

·
Registered
166 Posts
Look on the bright side, now you can go down the pub/bar and say you crashed it at speed, make up all sorts of poop about how you were being chased by the police etc, you'll get big respect and street cred.

I'd put a few more dents and scratches on it, you might even be able to pull some bird if your lucky now. !!!!

Pete

·
Registered
108 Posts
Sorry about your off. no damage to operator is a good thing. swoosh and decal was almost $100.00 in april of 07. had 89 miles on mine when it tipped over. a little paint and parts, all good. now i know about full turn at slow speed and front brake. didnt work very well for me.
cheers, maury

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
I always wondered why my dad always yelled at me to put up the stand before I moved the bike. I guess he's smarter than I know.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the help, the wife feels worse than me.

cool part is she gave her blessing for new piazzo(spelling?) levers, which means the TT will get the adjustable clutch lever from the Sprint. win win!

the little bits aren't too bad just annoying.

thanks again for letting vent

·
Registered
219 Posts
Well I finally did it. i dropped my cool moto scooter today.
I hate to hear about the drop, and trust me I know how you feel. I have a right fairing in shipment (due from low speed drop back in Oct). Then last week I had a scare in the garage. I was was pushing the bike from the left side and it almost overbalanced to the right - and this time the bike was was headed for my car door! Luckily I was was able to catch it before it passed the point of no return. The plan for the present is try to stick to duck paddling the bike (or moving it under it's own power).

·
Registered
218 Posts
havent dropped the sprint yet, but I feel your pain.. :mad: I have dropped a bike before... seems like slow motion and you cant stop it.. then to make it worse, you get that adrenalin flowing and pick up the bike only to drop it on its other side!!! :eek:

you my freind just sold me on some frame sliders!:cool:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Sorry about the mishap Kubbie. Glad you didn't get hurt when she pulled you over.

OldandDumb has a good point I would not have thought about pulling the faring off to look for cracked mounts.

Sticks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts