Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*****. Well, the Ventura rack is useless for me then. I need the luggage rack to stay firmly in place, and only the big bar be removable.

I suppose I could buy just the luggage rack part and not the part with the big hoop for the Ventura bag, but it's more expensive than regular racks, and impossible to find for sale in the USA anyhow.

Oh well. I'll just have to strap a bag to the seat or something. I just don't want to give up good looks when the bike is unloaded, and I don't want to have to disconnect the fuel cell I plan to install on the luggage rack every time I stop for a few days.

Charles.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Dude!

The Ventura Rack System is DA BOMB!
You're not limited to the big hoop of a bar, you can get a little one..... it looks like a little grab rail. Or, I just made myself a couple plugs to plug up the hoop holes when I wasn't using the rack.

You can also choose to get a small bag that fits on the rack if you want. They're really really versitile. However they are NOT to be confused for providing a passenger something to lean against.

[ This message was edited by: Olderyoungster on 2007-01-16 14:43 ]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bomb maybe, but I want the luggage rack to stay firmly attached at all times, because that's where I plan to mount my fuel cell.

Most of my trips are like this:
Ride to mountians. Unload bike, set up camp.
Go riding with friends through all the cool roads.

I suppose I could remove the entire ventura rack, with the fuel cell and all, and then go riding.... but a 130 mile range makes me a little uneasy in the mountians. Plus the grab bar, all angular like that, looks really hokey.

Before I dismiss it entirely... how sturdy is the rack? I mean, only those two little posts with thumbscrews hold it in place... can it take the stress of the weight of four gallons of fuel on the rack, over rough terrain? (gravel roads, nothing *too* gnarly)

Or would I be better off with a more sturdy rack to hold the fuel, and come up with something else for the luggage?

Charles.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Actually, the Ventura system is pretty stout.... considering the size of bags they make for it.... doubled up bags even! But I wouldn't support four gallons of gas on it. Besides, I wouldn't have that much weight hanging out past and beyond the rear axle, let alone past the rear tire......

Why not rig up a way that your additional gas tank rests on the passenger seat (forward of the rear axle) in a second Ventura bag, soundly secured of course...... while the luggage rack holds the other Ventura bag (they're made to zip together).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I could bolt the fuel pack to the tall part of the Ventura rack and have it rest on the rear seat, but that's really not how I want to do it. What's the big deal about weight beyond the rear axle? I've been doing that for years with top boxes without any problems.

This is my current luggage setup on my V65 Magna:

Never had any problems so far.

Charles.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I really like that set up on the W650, I couldn't remember the name of the site you got the image from, otherwise I woulda recommended it to you. I have a bike now that gives me a 200 miles between fill-ups, and it's NICE not having to stop for gas often. I considered one of those tanks as shown, and the best looking set up shown on that site was where the guys hid the extra gas tank in his factory tour pack.

With regard to hanging stuff off past the rear axle, I just don't do it..... personal preferance. I tend to ride like an idiot, exceeding the "safe" and/or legal speed limit sometimes. I had a Yamaha 750 full dresser that I put a tour pack onto..... never again. My buddy's FLHTS with a tour pack got a high speed wobble at 95 mph and went down. I just don't..... But I'm anal, I actually weigh my saddlebags to make sure they are equally weighted.....

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
This is the look I'm going for:

Nuts! I always thought those carried beer!

Seriously though, how much weight are we talking with 4 gallons of gas aft of the rear axle? I have been contemplating a similar setup but was concerned about exceeding the rear wheel load limit.

I'd really like to see some pics of your bike loaded and then hear how it worked out.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Get the biggest of those backpak water bags and fill it with high octane gasoline then strap it on your back. Then you will be sure to blow up if you have a get off or light a cigar or whatever. You too can become a Napalm idiot!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts