Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm struggling with it too. The constant GDPR compliance is a pain and I thought that the drag'n'drop method of uploading photos on the old forum was the simplest I've ever seen.

·
Premium Member
9,498 Posts
I don't like it either, not sure if it's because it's new, or badly designed.
The poster' s details used to be next to the post. Now, to see the bike/location, you have to touch the poster's icon and go back to answer

·
Administrator
634 Posts
I'm struggling with it too. The constant GDPR compliance is a pain and I thought that the drag'n'drop method of uploading photos on the old forum was the simplest I've ever seen.
Are you unable to drag and drop into the text anymore? or Copy/Paste? Clicking the image icon still allows you to input the image as you remember it, but the functionality has become more responsive still.

I don't like it either, not sure if it's because it's new, or badly designed.
The poster' s details used to be next to the post. Now, to see the bike/location, you have to touch the poster's icon and go back to answer
This is something we're currently bug testing a feature like this on a few sites and once we believe that we can implement this without issue we'll be bringing it over here as well. Thank you for your patience while we work to get you the features you're most looking forward to.

-Gerrit

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Jeez, I'm on a old Windows 7 computer have zero issue loading this forum and it loads quickly..I do have cable...Maybe you all are stuck on dial up? Adapt with changing conditions or become extinct...

·
Administrator
11,245 Posts
Well, it's about average speed for me a lot of the time. It does get very slow for me. Clicking on the my avatar I very often wait several seconds before the popup appears so I can select "Alerts" or whatever. And a lot of these, especially yesterday. I'm getting more of those errors than we had on the last site over the last couple months, but it certainly has been far worse in the past.

These errors are server-side, independent of connection speeds.

2019-12-04 13.27.41.png 2019-12-06 13.45.18.png

·
Premium Member
9,498 Posts
Most of the time I am on an oldish (4? Year old) iPad and have 100 meg broadband

I am not seeing an gdpr warnings. That's not to say that at first post on the new system I didn't "ok" a cookie that now hides the warning

·
Premium Member
9,498 Posts
Most of the time I am on an oldish (4? Year old) iPad and have 100meg broadband

I am not seeing an gdpr warnings. That's not to say that at first post on the new system I didn't "ok" a cookie that now hides the warning
How do you edit posts??

·
Administrator
634 Posts
Most of the time I am on an oldish (4? Year old) iPad and have 70meg broadband

What warning are you expecting to see related to GDPR, it might be grandfathered in from the first time you approved it on the old platform.

Jeff M

·
Premium Member
9,498 Posts
Thanks halfpint

I don't get the three dots but now, I do see the "edit" where I'll swear it wasn't earlier!

Ref- GDPR I don't get them but Rusty was complaining about them. I assumed that I'd saved a cookie that hid them

·
6,414 Posts
Hi @Halfpint,

To keep us GDPR complaint all users currently in the EU must be made aware of any and all cookies on this site.
If you accept it, this pop-up will disappear until the next time your cache and cookies are cleared.
Ye-ea-ah ... two things you might want to review:-

1. How the new(?) implementation actually works in practice. "Caulky's" original post:-

On access to the web-site, I am greeted with a list of various cookies, which default to yes.
Not only that, before posting there is a further list: tags, options, etc.
Now access is delayed by your adware cookies and not user friendly.
... followed by:-

I'm struggling with it too. The constant GDPR compliance is a pain
... although "Rusty1" isn't clear whether the "constant" applies just to TriumphRat or to using the www generally.

I signed up to TriumphRat long before GDPR was implemented, but I've both cleared all cookies many times and changed computers a few times ... and I've never experienced what particularly "Caulky" has described, nor what "Rusty1" has described if he's referring just to TriumphRat? Otoh, there's another website I read regularly that's recently started requiring me to review the cookie settings every time I want to use the site, even though I click on "Save & exit" each time - on that website, the reaction to that selection has clearly not been implemented correctly.

2. VerticalScope's GDPR compliance implementation. As I say, I've yet to experience first-hand what's been described by "Caulky" and "Rusty1" but I use the www a lot, different websites implement GDPR compliance differently, "Caulky's" description of VS's implementation isn't unique but it's definitely at the "over complicated" end of the scale. Could VS's legal team be persuaded to review GDPR compliance on some British websites and devise a less-time-consuming implementation? Note I don't recommend the Ebay/CraigsList/Picclick implementation - dump the cookies first, then ask the user but don't remove the cookies if the user doesn't click on "Accept" ... :censored:

Hth.

Regards,

·
6,414 Posts
Hi,

It is certainly no improvement...…….I see lots of work done, but for nil benefit.
The upgrade could've been publicised much better before it happened ...

If I understand the threads on the Community Help and moderator forums correctly, the old forum software was hard to port to handheld devices like 'phones and tablets. TriumphRat's owner VerticalScope apparently has forums covering numerous different subjects apart from motorcycles and many people want to access both motorcycling and non-motorcycling forums on such devices. Good or bad, VS makes its money showing adverts. to forum users. Ime, no matter how well anything - e.g. computer software, motorcycle - is designed in the first place, sooner or later you have to start over.

When underlying software that runs any computer system is changed, sometimes the 'user interface' (what's displayed on a screen) has to change also. But not always. Aiui, VS hired a design company to do the 'user interface' to go with the new underlying software. Ime (a lot) of such projects and companies, the one phrase you'll never, ever hear or see is:-

If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It ...

If you're scared of privacy issues just type your home address in search bar. In USA anyway make no mistake. Your life is no longer private.
Mmmm ... did that for my address ... the only name that comes up is of someone I've never heard of, so it's at least five years old.

GDPR might be a pita but it's the same as locks on the doors and windows of your house, it/they won't stop the determined ne'er-do-well but it/they mean most go and annoy someone else. Most people don't have a problem locking the doors and windows of their house and carrying a key, GDPR is just a new type of lock and key.

Regards,

·
Administrator
634 Posts
I have a huge favor to ask of y'all.

Can we please keep all questions, comments, feedback, etc. regarding the new platform in our Community Feedback thread instead of starting new threads?

The reason this is important is that we will be seeing weekly updates (approximately) to the platform that are largely based on community feedback. By keeping all the information together in one thread it will help us make sure we don't miss anything.

I am closing this thread to avoid confusion but we absolutely want to hear your feedback in our community thread above.

- Cricket

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.