Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What have you done to this forum?
On access to the web-site, I am greeted with a list of various cookies, which default to yes.
This is to try to make the unwary click it anyway.
These are supposed to enhance my experience?
NO, they are purely spyware for YOUR benefit, and after selection they appear later again before logging in.
Not only that, before posting there is a further list: tags, options, etc. Three of which default with ticks in the boxes.
A few years ago, the forum took ages to load,"waiting for x (ad) to load", which was annoying,
Ten years ago this forum used to be very useful for members with bike issues and was very accessible.
Now access is delayed by your adware cookies and not user friendly.
This site is a disgrace.
GOODBYE AND GOOD RIDDANCE!
Caulky

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Well, it is different...But I see none of what you are talking about...it's all the same except graphics...I do have an active ad blocker...My bookmarkmark is directly to this forum and not Rat Triumph in general..

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Well after reserving judgement I have found there are many things on the updated site I am NOT in love with. But as a mushroom I can do nothing about it and I am sure management truly gives a Rats A$$ about my opinion Also being an old F*** (your choice of ool, art or uck.) I am not interested in a Reaction Score or Points (whatever the hell they are)
But since this site has helped me keep my mind active and sane (some might disagree with the later) over the last nine years think I hang around a bit longer.

If for no other reason than to aggravate some of the College Boys out here...….. ;)

By the way REALLY dislike the new smiley faces

K

·
Registered
229 Posts
i used to participate more. i cut way back after the second most recent update. this one is worse.

i have a slow system, and the adware takes so long to load i often just close the window instead of loading the website.

not everybody has high speed internet.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
I don't care for the new format either. But it is what it is. Tech just gets more complicated to negotiate.
If you're scared of privacy issues just type your home address in search bar. In USA anyway make no mistake. Your life is no longer private.
If you don't want to participate in group any longer, I understand. Just set in the back ground. When you're ready come back in. No hard feelings from me.
Don

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
I am finding my way around again. I find pictures easy to load but anyone needing to see any, has to watch for the tiny piece allowing you to see them. Youtube changed in a big way a few years back and disliked it at first but seems normal now.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
It is certainly no improvement...…….I see lots of work done, but for nil benefit. Isn't that government/council territory?

·
Administrator
612 Posts
On access to the web-site, I am greeted with a list of various cookies, which default to yes.
NO, they are purely spyware for YOUR benefit, and after selection they appear later again before logging in.
Not only that, before posting there is a further list: tags, options, etc. Three of which default with ticks in the boxes.
A few years ago, the forum took ages to load,"waiting for x (ad) to load", which was annoying,
Ten years ago this forum used to be very useful for members with bike issues and was very accessible.
This site is a disgrace.
Caulky
To keep us GDPR complaint all users currently in the EU must be made aware of any and all cookies on this site. Some of them, yes, are for ads. These are mostly to make sure ads are of relevant interest to you. Other cookies, allow us to keep you logged in between uses, or load pages faster. Cookies are not a universally bad feature of browsers. Much of the sites functionality is tied to cookies, just like with the previous software, so if you do not accept we can not proceed. Browser settings can be set, by you or anyone to affect which cookies are save or how they are saved. Hope that explains why you have seen this pop up. If you accept it, this pop-up will disappear until the next time your cache and cookies are cleared.

i used to participate more. i cut way back after the second most recent update. this one is worse.

i have a slow system, and the adware takes so long to load i often just close the window instead of loading the website.

not everybody has high speed internet.
As a question, what type of device and browser are you using for this? Page loads have been reported as quicker usually, so to hear the opposite has piqued my concern.

-Gerrit

·
6,298 Posts
Hi Gerrit,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. (y) I'll drop Caulky a PM so, even if he isn't receiving email notifications about additions to the thread, hopefully he'll see a copy of the PM in his emails.

Regards,

·
Registered
229 Posts
As a question, what type of device and browser are you using for this? Page loads have been reported as quicker usually, so to hear the opposite has piqued my concern.

-Gerrit
hi gerrett

i use a high-end gaming laptop running intel i7-4700 HQCPU at 2.40 GHz, with 11.9 GB free RAM, windows 10 version 1903. my browser is vivaldi, version 2.9.

the problem lies in my connection speed. i live many, many miles from any physical connections, so i have the choice of two slow satellite connections or i can use my telephone as a hotspot, which is also slow. where i live, any solid connection is decades away. there will never be a fiber optic line to my house in my lifetime.

my system is faster than it used to be, but it still may take sixty seconds to load a page from triumphrat on my laptop. the text panels sometimes remain blank until the ads are fully loaded, and sometimes they do not load and the system stalls. generally the phone-optimized views are so slow or otherwise awkward that i simply close the window and go do something else.

at other times triumphrat loads reasonably quickly, or at least what i am satisfied as reasonably quickly. high speed is something i see only when i travel; away from home.

my first modem was 48 baud, by the way, so i know what slow really means.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
I am finding my way around again. I find pictures easy to load but anyone needing to see any, has to watch for the tiny piece allowing you to see them. Youtube changed in a big way a few years back

·
Premium Member
3,380 Posts
Well after reserving judgement I have found there are many things on the updated site I am NOT in love with. But as a mushroom I can do nothing about it and I am sure management truly gives a Rats A$$ about my opinion Also being an old F*** (your choice of ool, art or uck.) I am not interested in a Reaction Score or Points (whatever the hell they are)
But since this site has helped me keep my mind active and sane (some might disagree with the later) over the last nine years think I hang around a bit longer.

If for no other reason than to aggravate some of the College Boys out here...….. ;)

By the way REALLY dislike the new smiley faces

K
Ditto, K.......

GN

·
Premium Member
3,380 Posts
This site is a disgrace.
Caulky
Caulky - Agree with RetroRod - please don't leave. You are too valuable to so many of us......

GN

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
This site's latest update is chitte that was designed by millennials. It's NOT an improvement; rather, it's merely a modification just like the newer automobiles on the market. Crap. (EDIT) Millennial stuff is not noted for innovations.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts