Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Most of the damage was minor except the crankshaft cover dented and cracked. Haven't seen the inside of it yet. Hopefully insides are non-damaged.

Damaged parts from what I can see:
Crankshaft dented and cracked. Don't know about the inside.
Clutch lever bent
belly pan cracked and scratched
rear, left fairing cracked and scratched
left foot peg gone
Left engine fairing scratched/cracked

<br>
Made videos of the damage and accident description below:
damage
accident

Let me know if you know where I can get replacement parts cheap!

·
Super Moderator
8,937 Posts
What you are calling the crankshaft is actually the stator cover. Yes, it can be taken off and replaced without too much problem, and it will leak oil really badly from the damage you have. I broke two of those, once getting picked off on the freeway, once on the track. You can actually repair it with JB Weld, but I don't recommend it as a long term fix. Getting it apart can be a challenge, because the alternator is what lives behind the cover. It consists of powerful magnets and lots of wire coils. So, the magnets pull on the coils and make it tough to pull apart. The coils (stator) screw to the back of the cover and the rotor is on the end of the crankshaft. From what I can see in your videos, I doubt you have too much serious damage.

Funny thing about a crash like yours is how you don't even know you got hit until you look at the bike. The bike is there and then it isn't. I got hit on the freeway by a car which changed lanes very suddenly, and I didn't realize I had been hit until the police officer who came to inspect noticed silver paint on my front tire. I thought I had fallen off on my own, trying to avoid getting hit, and couldn't figure out why the front of the bike had done what it did. The officer showed me the reason. I suspect your crash was very similar and you may well have been able to swerve around the problem if she had not hit you. It is just one of those unfortunate things. It seems like you are ready to get right back on and you have no lasting damage to yourself. That's good. You will notice you don't have the same confidence for a while, but that's normal after a crash of any kind. High level racers who fall off and then set lap records are not normal people!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont mind replacing the oil as I was going to do it in a few weeks anyway.
I'm not too mechanical and some of your post I'm having a hard time understanding haha.
But on the cover, I removed all the screws but trying to get it off wasn't working yet.
You're saying it's held there by a magnet? Whats the best way to get it off?
Once I take it off, will anything fall out? And what type of damage should I look for?

So sad that 90% of this could have been avoided if I just put on some damn frame sliders :(

·
Super Moderator
8,937 Posts
You are wrestling with a powerful magnet. If you get wood, or better yet, plastic door shims from a hardware store and use those to help pry the cover off, it will be a bit easier. Don't use a screw driver or some other steel tool, since it will put a gouge into the aluminum engine case and make leaks more likely. Oil will fall out! You will have to unplug a cable from the wiring harness, then take the part which is attached to the cover off. There are several screws with 10mm allen heads, if I remember right. Put the whole thing back on a new cover, using locktite to keep the screws from backing out, plug it back in, then put it all back together with a new gasket. Taking it apart is a pain, and putting it back is also a pain, since you will be fighting the power of the magnets both times, and putting it back together means you don't want to mess up the gasket. I hope this makes sense.

I doubt frame sliders would have saved you much damage from looking at the photos.

·
Registered
78 Posts
So sad that 90% of this could have been avoided if I just put on some damn frame sliders :(

Join the Club - I thought I was the only one regretting my failure to have them on. LOL

We should all hold hands and sing - YOU ARE NOT ALONE, I AM HERE WITH YOU!!!!!!!!

AHAHAHHAHAHA

·
Registered
122 Posts
its good you have the paint on your bike... in case there is any doubt in who is at fault when it comes to discussing it with your insurance company... when I was in hawaii alotta people had stories of insurance companies screwing them cause the driver didnt hit them...

as far as cheap parts........ LMFAO!!!!! cheap parts and triumph are polar opposites, I found out the hard way, my D650 was a steal I thought at the price I got her even though I knew I would have to replace parts I figured I would come out on top... yeah not so much...

Good luck with everything bro, and when you get her back together throw some sliders on her and try and keep the shiny side up :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I took off the Stator cover and the cog on the upper right fell out.
How in the hell do you get that back in?? I can put it in the right spot, but the metal rod doesn't line up 100% and won't go all the way through.
The cog has 2 rows and i'm assuming the smaller row goes on the outside (facing you as you put it in), right?

And the other woman's insurance does claim liability! The appraisal guy just left. I made sure he knows it's not a total loss and pointed out all the damaged pieces, and even gave hiim a list with estimated prices.

Here's the list I had:
Critical damage:
-Stator Cover 100$
-Left Foot peg 200$
-Oil 40$
-Clutch Lever 75$

Cosmetic:
-Left Engine cover 100?$
-Belly pan 200?$
-Rear left fairing 200?$

Towing cost 330$

I'd estimate the damage 1000-1500$ Bike is valued around 3500$.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
That's the starter gear, and yes, the smaller cog faces the outside of the engine to where it can engage the crankshaft sprocket. The pin won't go in all the way, as its purpose is to align the starter gear. Put the pin in and then slip the larger starter cog in behind the crankshaft and stator gear/sprag. Line it up and run it home. It takes some fiddling, but it should go.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You put the rod in first? I tried that way but how can you get the cog in with the rod also in?

And hopefully they'll cut me a check for 1000-1500$, maybe more!
If they do, what should I spend the $ on?
I already got the stator cover. I'll definitely get frame sliders. I honestly will probably just take off the engine cover fairing. I might replace the rear left plastic, but I don't care a whole lot about all the plastics honestly. Most of them are just cracked or scratched and it's not too noticeable.

So that leaves me with a good 90% left of whatever $ they give me.
I'm thinking new, better tires.
What else you think would be worth putting $ into on the bike?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts