Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my poor Bird's in the shop because it doesn't start easy. Sometimes it turns over fine, sometimes it starts and dies unless I open the throttle for a moment, and once in a while it just cranks and won't turn over for a while.

It's in the shop, they're talking with Triumph, they know about the "let it run for twelve minutes" trick, and they want to run a leak test to try to figure this out, but it requires replacing the oil gasket and they don't have a new gasket in stock, neither does the other Triumph dealer in the stake.

So my month and a half old Bird with a mere eleven hundred miles on it won't start easy, the dealer nor Triumph can yet figure out why, and I have to wait until a new gasket comes in to hope to get it fixed (and that could be more than a week).

Has anyone else had a starting problem this annoying?

OK, it's not the STARTER itself, sorry -- my bad. It's something with the engine and/or timing.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
A number of people have had various starting issues that were rectified with a change to the tors map, many of whom are NOT running tors, so who are. Mine had a hot starting issue. If the bike was warm it would not hold idle and just die unless i blipped the throttle a couple times. TORs tune fixed it 100%. You might at least have them load the TORs tune as a test and if that cures it you know it's a issue with the stock map. Someone recently mentioned a problem with a stock R3 map that had a fuel setting that was way off when the engine was at a certain temp. so there are triumph maps that are wacky i guess. I don't know if this is a issue with certain maps or if they get corrupted or what. All i know is many starting issues were cured by changing to the tors map on the Tbird, so that may be the place your dealer should look at.

So my poor Bird's in the shop because it doesn't start easy. Sometimes it turns over fine, sometimes it starts and dies unless I open the throttle for a moment, and once in a while it just cranks and won't turn over for a while.

It's in the shop, they're talking with Triumph, they know about the "let it run for twelve minutes" trick, and they want to run a leak test to try to figure this out, but it requires replacing the oil gasket and they don't have a new gasket in stock, neither does the other Triumph dealer in the stake.

So my month and a half old Bird with a mere eleven hundred miles on it won't start easy, the dealer nor Triumph can yet figure out why, and I have to wait until a new gasket comes in to hope to get it fixed (and that could be more than a week).

Has anyone else had a starting problem this annoying?

OK, it's not the STARTER itself, sorry -- my bad. It's something with the engine and/or timing.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I just took mine in today because it recently started stuttering like it's running out of gas and fluctuating at idle causing it to occasionally die. I also asked them to check into the hard starting issue. It's always started harder than what I'm used to on other bikes, but sometimes (particularly lately) it can take several times for it to fire up and keep running. Most of the time when starting it has to putt, putt, putt a few times until it gets up enough rpm's to sustain itself. I'm OK if it just has to turn over a few more times than I'm used to before starting, but once it kicks, I think it should take off like it's got someplace to go. Hopefully they can straighten it out quickly since I'm leaving for the Dragon next Friday (fingers crossed).

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have the shorty tors with the tor tune and have never had a problem starting the bike, got about 3500 miles on her now and so far no issues with starting.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just got mine back from the shop yesterday. I took it in on 7/1!! It had the same problem as the rest. Hard start and want to die when hot, took two or three stabs to start when cold and finally the right cylinder would not fire when cold unless I kept some throttle on. First they replaced the coil. Better but not right. They were in touch with Georgia and went through some hoops.Finally told me it was an air sensor that was bad. Seems to be fine now. Even though they had it for a long time, I did get a loaner. A brand new Tiger...Whew!! Those things are FAST....
Len

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I have the standard tune and have no starting problems - I have 11,000 miles on my Bird.

When I first got the bike it started hard once or twice, but has been rock solid since.

To me must either be this learning process people are discussing or a malfunction. You could try the TOR tune, but personally I would want the dealer to make it right without the change in tune for two reasons 1) the bike should run fine with the standard tune and 2) if it doesn't and the TOR tune corrects it, then the TOR tune could be masking the issue, i.e. a band-aid, not a cure.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I also have the hard starting problem when the engine is hot, and has only been off for a few minutes. If I hold the throttle at about 2k for 15 seconds or so then everything is fine after that. After reading this thread I am wondering if I should also have my dealer take another look. I mentioned it to them when I took the bike in for its initial service, but forgot to ask them about it before I rode it home. According the tech everything checked out, but I don't know if the service writer actually had him look at the issue or not.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
A number of Tbirds have had a bad O-ring causing there not to be enough pressure in the fuel line. Your dealer can easily check the pressure. Have them call Triumph if they aren't familar with this.

I starting have starting issue at the end of last summer. Reflashing the ECU with TuneECU solved the problem, but I am not sure why.

·
Registered
684 Posts
engage, I would think since the fuel pump primes the line prior to the rider actually starting the bike that line pressure should not be an issue. I was actually wondering if what I am experiencing is vapor lock since it only happens when the bike is hot.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
engage, I would think since the fuel pump primes the line prior to the rider actually starting the bike that line pressure should not be an issue.
It does, but evidently this issue still causes hard starting. My dealer has made this fix on one of their birds and I know a few others have reported the same issue.

I was actually wondering if what I am experiencing is vapor lock since it only happens when the bike is hot.
Sorry - I missed that. You are right, we are talking a different issue then. On rare occasion mine will start hard when warm, but not enough for me to do anything about it. If yours is a regular occurrence, I would have it checked out - that's what warranties are for.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I actually have a dealer service appointment this Thursday for a brake squeal that has developed. I'll have to remember to ask them to check into the hard start issue as well.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've started to get a squeal on the front brakes too. It only happens when I touch the brakes to bring the bike to a stop slowly. No noise on harder braking. It does get annoying after a while but they stop the bike well enough.

I'll have to mention it next time I'm at the dealers too.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I had the same problem on my bird for awhile. But what i noticed was that it didnt want to idel when hot, or in gear with the clutch disengaged. But the problem took care of it self shortly after had my first oil change. Havent had a problem since.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Got my bike back from the shop yesterday after taking it in to get this issue looked at. They reset the ecm, and raised my idle a little. I spoke with the tech directly. He said Triumph is aware of the problem, but there is no official fix yet. He said he expects that at some point they will revise the fuel map, but that has not happened yet. So basically he said what he did was a band-aid fix, and that once a new map is available I'll have to bring the bike back in again. So far it does seem a bit better, but I it will be nice once it is fixed correctly.

Oh and engage they did pull the tank and go over the whole injection system. They didn't find anything wrong in there.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Lantesh - that doesn't sound right. This can't be a systemic issue or it would plaque all of us. If you routinely have an issue starting the bike when it's hot, then something isn't right. I suspect your dealer is confused by the issue and given you the runaround. I'd call Triumph Customer Service and see what they say.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My bird began starting hard, then after about a week of that, she suddenly wouldn't idle, didn't want to start without throttle and just plain ran crappy. Thankfully I was within a few miles of my new dealer.

The mechanic listened to my story and diagnosed it before he even rolled her into the shop.

MAP sensor hose had come undone off one side. It must have been working its way loose for a while then finally just parted. Mechanic had seen it before on a T-bird. He reconnected it securely, reflashed the ecm and voila! Smooth like butter.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Yes it occurred to me that the dealer may not really know what to make of things. For now I'm going to see how the bike runs over the next couple of weeks, and if there is still and issue I may call Triumph.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
My bird began starting hard, then after about a week of that, she suddenly wouldn't idle, didn't want to start without throttle and just plain ran crappy. Thankfully I was within a few miles of my new dealer.

The mechanic listened to my story and diagnosed it before he even rolled her into the shop.

MAP sensor hose had come undone off one side. It must have been working its way loose for a while then finally just parted. Mechanic had seen it before on a T-bird. He reconnected it securely, reflashed the ecm and voila! Smooth like butter.
This and the problem with the fuel pump maintaining proper pressure have been common starting issues with the bike. The problem you mention can easily be fixed at home by simply reconnecting the hose. The fuel pump issue requires that the pressure be measured.

Triumph knows about both and if a dealer actually takes the time to call, Triumph will walk them through the diagnostic procedure (this comes from the Service Manager at my Triumph dealer).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts