Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my dad died. This was his retirement project that I have now. Story goes that it's a Ness frame, Roth paint bike he got it 1972ish, last titled in '76, and now I get to figure out how to go about putting it back together. No idea if the history is true, all I know is that I've been threatened harm if I "mess" with it by his old friends. 0627191503a_HDR_1561674681056.jpg 0627191503a_HDR_1561674681056.jpg

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,811 Posts
Sorry to hear of your Dad's passing, glad you are keeping his bike.

Looks like a very cool classic custom.

I suggest you do a basic "prep & make-run" with a full flushing of oil & gas tanks, forks, carbs, transmission, primary chaincase, and crankcase. Re-fill all the lube sections with proper fresh fluids.

Check the valve adjustment, primary chain adjustment, throttle cable adjustment, clutch & cable adjustment, and make sure your rear brake is properly adjusted and that your brake shoes have ample friction material, as they are all you've got!

Once you are ready to try a start-up, pull in the clutch and kick the kicker till it "slips through", meaning your clutch is actually disengaging. The plates can stick over time, and stay engaged, which will launch the bike as soon as a gear is selected regardless of having the lever pulled in!

The carbs need to have the "tickler" buttons depressed 'till they dribble a few drops of fuel, before starting.

Then, start the bike and get it to idle smoothly. You might have to twiddle the low speed mixture screw on the carbs (tiny screws that point straight in the sides of the carbs); it should be ABOUT 1-1/2 turns OUT from all the way screwed in GENTLY.

You should be able to see oil squirting back into the tank if you open the oil filler cap while the bike is idling. If no oil return after a minute of blipping the throttle, turn the bike off and see if any oil comes out the bottom crankcase drain bolt. If no oil, you have a blockage that needs to be found. If that checks out, proceed. Balancing the carbs can come later (hopefully they don't need it badly)

Once it's running right, point the bike down the road, drop it in gear, then get a feel for the throttle, clutch, gearshifter, and brake pedal without going over 30 MPH. See if the bike stops properly with the clutch in (no clutch creep), see if you can find neutral okay, and see if it fires up when warm/hot.

Once all this checks out, CAREFULLY take a spin up to 50-60MPH and get your confidence up. Make sure that rear brake is up to a serious highway-speed stop. Otherwise, you'll regret it WHEN the time comes (it will SURELY come).

THAT (above) is all "Step 1".

EDIT (due to updated photo and info while I was typing): I now can assume your clutch plates MIGHT not be sticking, but you never know!

·
Super Moderator
12,811 Posts
You are not going to believe this, but I HAVE THE EXACT OIL TANK FOR THAT BIKE!!!! The paint job matches your gas tank! Only problem is, the painter must not have known the Triumph oil tank is on the right, so the flames point FORWARD! hee hee

I'll get a photo and post it later...

·
Super Moderator
12,811 Posts
I also have a proper late style SLS front brake/hub assembly gathering dust. That one you have there looks inadequate for what that bike is capable of.

If it rides okay after you do all of the above, I'd just enjoy it like that for a while THEN decide if you want to spruce it up a bit, or do a restoration of it as your Dad had it when it was newly chopped.

·
Registered
864 Posts
You are not going to believe this, but I HAVE THE EXACT OIL TANK FOR THAT BIKE!!!! The paint job matches your gas tank! Only problem is, the painter must not have known the Triumph oil tank is on the right, so the flames point FORWARD! hee hee

I'll get a photo and post it later...
Wow, what a coincidence you're both on the same forum. Your dad must've had a word with the big fella upstairs once he got there.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I’m sorry for the passing of your dad. But if he knew before he passed that you’d be taking care of his bike, I’m sure that brought him some comfort.
Good luck with the bike.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GrandPaulZ, thank you for all the wonderful advise! I've grown up with this bike, know every thread pitch of every nut & bolt but was never allowed to touch...and I'm almost 40 lol. The plan is to get it up and running with the parts I have and just care for it. No plans for highway runs, if I do that I might address more modern brakes. I'll upload pics so you guys can enjoy with me. All I wanted was for people to see his bike he'd had since age 19 and thank you all from the bottom of my heart for the posts.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,811 Posts
Primary looks good, do you have a shop manual? Manuals and parts books are available free online.

A bit of comfort knowing your Dad didn't suffer, doesn't make his passing any easier. My Dad's body was so strong it didn't let him die from Alzheimers till he wasted away almost TEN YEARS as somebody you couldn't recognize, and he couldn't recognize his kids and grandkids. Sorry to drag out this discussion, so let's get back to his cool old bobber...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gotcha GrandPaulZ, back to the Bob job. A good friend of mine is president of a Triumph owners club so he ordered me up a parts book and all the primary drive bits, everything is new now as my dad left his parts at his friend Mel's shop Primo-Rivera Belt Drives and never went to get them back.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So about the bike, it's a 66 T120r front frame and engine, it's early 66 because that's the year they changed to concentric carbs, his had monoblocs. DU26676 engine # and stamped on frame. The rear is a 53 rigid section molded in and I think the front end is as well. The seat is an old Bates. It used to have a different rear wheel but now is Akront 16 inch, the front wheel is same as pics from 73 I just put an Avon on it. Don't know at which point he went to the ARD mag setup, not sure if I'm going to run that or switch to Boyer, but inside of mag looks brand new. 0531191533_1561752896912.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One question I do have is the front neck of bike has tubes on it I've never seen before, if anyone has an idea of what those are? 0406190847a_1561753217429.jpg

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
condolences for your loss - to put that bike together your dad must have been a great bloke - he left you a true legacy
we look foreward to pics on the progress

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
He was a great bloke, loved his British motors. He drove a MG around the same time he built this. While his friends had Harleys, he had this. I'll post a couple pics of his buddies bikes. 0520191406_1561782193283.jpg 0520191407_1561782231229.jpg

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
frames of that time came out of the factory with those "tubes" across the headstock - dont recall what they were originally for - left over fitment from models decades before probably -- maybe to fit a fairing ? --- someone here will know for sure

1 - 20 of 32 Posts