Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Dabbling in the dark side

3K views 39 replies 12 participants last post by  saphena 
#1 ·
Obeying the basic rule that the number of bikes owned should be N=N+1 I have added to my stable of vehicles with a Japanese beast,

Meet the HMS ThunderAce

Not ridden her except back from the seller as I'm awaiting road tax but she's got a lot of power but not quite the cornering ability of my little S4.

The plan is to do a lot more miles next year and no fairing on motorways is no fun, plus you know, it was too cheap not to.

See less See more
#4 ·
Yamaha thunderace 1996 (first year of production) 1000cc 34000miles on the clock.

Last owner was an OCD polisher who rode it once and scared himself before keeping it garaged and occasionally taken round the block every few months.

For £900 I couldn't pass it up.

To be honest it's a little big for me, might need to get platforms for my bike boots :D

#6 ·
It predated the R1, but more of a tourer than an all out sports bike by today's standards but enough power to be getting along with I think.

Cheers guys.

#10 ·
Cheers rox, Ill look into those, I assume they do them for men?

#17 ·
Yeah, Is it worse than streets of fire?

(And what about Eddie and the cruisers 2)

#19 ·
The acting is... Well, I'm not sure you could call it acting.

Soundtracks good though.

#21 ·
I'm sorry tie, I shouldn't do things like this to you.

No cookies either, but ill keep trying to master the force in my spare time if it'll help.

#22 ·
I was reading a review on Motorcycle.com (from 1996) about Spank's new bike and this made me laugh:

It seems that the fashion for upside-down front forks is waning; the YZF comes equipped with conventional telescopic front forks.
Yeah, you never see USD forks anymore.

#26 ·
I was waiting for you to call me soft when I saw you'd posted, given your bonneville touring credentials and the number of long trips I've declined to go on. :D

#27 ·
I think it's very adventurous of you to attempt an Iron Butt on a strange new bike; me, I like to stick to the one I know can do it:D

G
#28 ·
Spank. Just try it. What is the worst thing that can happen with the bike (not accidents reason)? It can break down. With the limited amount of roads you have to run an Iron Butt on over there you are never far from help or service. Besides, if it dies you just leave it on the side of the road and not worry about it again.

Now if you were here in Texas I would agree with Saph. Ride only what you trust as you could die before being found waiting next to your bike here.:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.