Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO a B!

And those are some of the nicer things that came out of my mouth.

3 weeks ago, I dropped my Sprint in the driveway. I started taking it apart today.

One of the mounting ears is broken off my Instrument Panel. These things are like hens teeth to find. I found this one for $10 with all the mountings in place, and I refinished it with truck bed lining. Now I broke it.

I am SO not happy right now....:mad:

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
CharlieS, I can't recall how they look. Are they plastic, a la the fairing tabs? You could try repairing it the same way. The Q-Bond is pretty versatile stuff...

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried a couple different glues that I purchased for my las repair. The glues just melted it. I'm trying some JB weld on it right now. If that doesn't get it, I'll probably drill and tap for a machine screw. Fortunately, I have the cockpit fairing I need.

I just needed to vent a bit :eek:

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I know how you feel, man!

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the suggestions to repair this plastic nightmare, guys.
But.....
I think the JB Weld has done it! It took literally forever for it to set up, now that temps have cooled off. But it finally set up and it appears to be holding!
Now I can fit it up, along with the lights, and the new piece on the cockpit to see if I have the fairing stay straightened correctly.
Looks like it's going to be a nice sunny day!

·
Registered
87 Posts
You should reinforce the repair with a piece cut from a soda can. It's my favorite trick for a quick repair. I've actually repaired a clutch lever with some Quick JB weld and an aluminum can. I still have the lever. Basically what you cut the can to fit the area you need to reinforce, bend it and shape it first. Then apply some JB weld to the parts, fit them together and apply the aluminum piece you made. Hold it with your fingers or some rubber bands or cloths pins until the JB weld takes a set, then mix up some more and cover the aluminum with it making sure the base and top coat of JB weld go past the edges of the aluminum. You have to use the Quik JB Weld as the set time on the regular stuff is way too long. Let the repair cure at least 12 hours and preferably 24 before using. But in a pinch you can put it into service after 4 hours.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts