Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would share some step by step photos for installing the D9 bracket with the ignition relocation on a 2013 Bonneville. I've got the base model Bonnie, but added the OEM tach a couple of months ago. Really wanted that ignition relocation plus a more streamlined look to the instruments with the flat panel.

As always, Seth (aka D9) was great to work with with advice, instructions, etc. Here's a picture of the bracket from Seth's library.

The bracket is out for delivery now, but I couldn't wait so I started on the disassembly and prep work now, and will sit on the front porch waiting for the mailman the rest of the afternoon!

Here are some "before" photos.

First step was to remove the Dart windscreen by removing the 4 M4 hex head bolts and setting the screen aside. You don't want to scratch up the headlamp bowl, so use one of the wife's clean dishtowels to protect the headlamp from any tool scratches.

Then unscrew the nuts from the back of the instrument cups. 8mm wrench to loosen them up then spin them off by hand.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
After the nuts are off the cups slip off easily over the screw posts. Next remove the wire harness from each of the instruments. These are a little tough to get off. It takes a bit of pressure on the tabs on the side and a forceful jiggle to get them off.

Once disconnected, the instruments can be removed from the front of the panel and set aside. Remove the rubber gaskets and set aside as well for reuse.

The OEM instrument bracket is removed by removing the 4 bolts (8 mm) holding it to the triple tree.

Now onto the ignition switch. It is mounted to the headlight bracket with 2 - 4mm screws. I was able to get to the top one with an angled allen wrench without removing the headlight, but the bottom one was just impossible to reach.

Ended up unbolting the headlight and letting it dangle freely (another dishrag used for padding and protection). With that out of the way I was able to easily get the bottom hex screw out of the ignition and free it from the headlight bracket.

So now my headless Bonnie awaits the new panel which should be arriving shortly!

To be continued....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Package arrived!!

First, Make sure you have the right side up - should have the countersunk holes for the ignition plus a machined ring around the ignition hole.

The kit comes with spacers and a longer screw to mount the instrument bracket around 3/4" higher than stock. This is to give enough clearance above the headlamp.

Use the bolt, spacer, and washer on the instrument bracket and screw into the existing holes on the triple tree.

To mount the ignition switch, thread the supplied bolt through the face of the bracket, through the supplied spacer, and into the hole on the ignition switch. Kit includes a pair of tweezers which are used to hold the nut in place in the back of the ignition switch while tightening the bolt.

I also ordered from D9 the kit for plugging the old ignition hole in the headlight bracket. It's a two part kit - the plug that fits into the hole and then a bracket that holds the plug in place in the 2 existing screw holes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Next, reinstall the rubber grommets. Make sure the tabs line up with the openings on the bracket.

Instruments are fitted as before - reconnect the plugs in the back of the instrument.

Mount the cups on the instruments - making sure to line up the odometer button on the speedo, feed the cable through the slot, and line up the two bolts. Honestly, this is the most frustrating part of the whole installation process. Getting all those things to line up take a bit of cursing and persuasion but they eventually get on there. Tighten em up.

Reinstalled the headlamp and Dart windscreen. I reckon I need to re-aim the headlight since I had that off and its undoubtedly not in the same exact position as before.

It works! And look at that - the ignition key right there in front of you where you can get to it!

Great product and very easy to install! Can't wait to take her out for a spin tonight and enjoy my new view!

·
Registered
325 Posts
I love my D9 bracket too. It's kind of amazing how much the bracket changes the look of the bike, the pictures often don't truly show the difference.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think the flatter look is more in line with the classic cafe racer look. I'm pretty sure that is what D9 was going for in the design. I didn't mind the upright look of the instruments before but I do like the flatter look. Haven't noticed a difference when riding.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I put the D9 bracket on my Thruxton. I too like the looks but want to warn potential purchasers that it makes it a lot harder to see your turn signal, low fuel, and the other warning lights in the sunlight.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Sparky57,
Do you happen to know if the Sato gauge panel keeps the same angle as the factory one or is it also as flat as the D9?

·
Registered
350 Posts
D9,
Thanks for the info. I'd like to retain the factory angle, nice to know I have that option when I'm ready to order. Cheers :+1:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts