Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished installing Seth's wonderful "Dual OEM Gauge Ignition Relo Bracket" and stock ignition hole plug. Very straightforward installation, it took me 2 hours. The parts are beautiful, and having the key within easy reach is GREAT! I took the opportunity to install LEDs in the 4 indicator lights, and blue LEDs in the speedo & tach.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Beautiful. Love your bike and Seth is an artist.
My favorite clock bracket.
PMstar...quick question.
Do you notice much difference in reach to your handlebars with those pullback risers?
Thanks,
George

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Do you notice much difference in reach to your handlebars with those pullback risers?
Thanks,
George
Yes, I notice quite a difference. The pain in my neck & shoulders is gone. I'm 47, 210 lbs., 6' 00", and squishy. I did 275 miles last Saturday, most of it 80 mph+, with no pain. I did the same modification, for the same reason, on a Harley Superglide previously. It took quite a bit of hunting to find what I wanted, too. They are called "Rox Block Risers".

http://www.roxspeedfx.com/cgi-bin/cart/showitems.cgi?subcat_id=303

I have another post about them. The bolt spacing on the '09 Bonneville stock risers is weird. It's basically the old 1" bars riser bored for the new 7/8" bars, so the bolts spacing is non-standard. The Rox Risers have an elongated aft hole that fits perfectly. Genmar didn't make what I needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Seth is a disappearing breed - a fabricator who takes total pride in what they produce

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
The quality of those risers looks good. I don't follow you about the spacing. Not sure why the top yoke riser spacing would matter at all if the risers are separate which they are for your bike. Perhaps you mean something else. Also don't follow your comments about the handlebar diameter. Unless you changed your bars, I believe for the SE they are 7/8". Are they shimmed to fit a 1 inch ID riser?
In any event, you figured out how to make them work so well done.
I will share with you a small nuance about riding position and pull back. One of the reasons that you (and me) may prefer a bit more pullback is because of the forward and relatively high footpeg position on these bikes...exacerbated in particular on the SE which has a cut down seat height which further diminishs leg room. You are not a short guy and this foot position rotates your hips rearward putting your hip flexors into greater tension and hence a need for a bit more pullback. A work around is to either drop your pegs slightly or increase your seat height which I believe will be popular on SE bikes for 6 footers in particular.
If time permits, please explain your comments further about the risers if you would as I may consider them for my new T100 with 1 inch bars which have the same yoke spacing as your bike.
Cheers,
George

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I don't follow you about the spacing.
The Genmar riser for the Bonneville raises the bars straight out from the top triple clamp (photo 1). They say "up & back" in their ads, but that's just because the forks happen to be raked. The riser they make for the Speed Triple/early Thunderbird raises the bars up, as well as aft (photo 2). The latter is the bar positioning I wanted, and it doesn't fit the Bonneville because the vertical holes are too closely spaced, front to back on the Speed Triple product. I went to the dealership with a ruler to confirm this. The stock Triumph clamp for the Bonneville's new 7/8" bars is a modified 1" bars part from previous years (smaller hole bored through the same casting), while the Speed Triple's was designed for 7/8" bars from the beginning. They look the same, but they're not. The Rox part will fit about anything because of the elongated aft vertical clamp hole (photo 3). By the way, the Rox part is made for 1" bars, and requires spacers for 7/8" bars. They sell a version that includes these spacers. The are "pinned" so they (and your bars) can't rotate once tightened.

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
A work around is to either drop your pegs slightly or increase your seat height which I believe will be popular on SE bikes for 6 footers in particular.
Just in case you don't know, I can confirm that the stock 08 (or 09 T100) seat fits straight onto the SE. I'm not 6' but my hips appreciate the different angle the higher seat affords. I don't know why Triumph don't let you specify the seat, as it's a very simple thing to do when you buy the bike new, but expensive to do afterwards; most people would opt for an aftermarket seat. I got my as new 08 seat from a guy who had fitted a KQ seat.

DaveO

·
Registered
495 Posts
Just finished installing Seth's wonderful "Dual OEM Gauge Ignition Relo Bracket" and stock ignition hole plug. Very straightforward installation, it took me 2 hours. The parts are beautiful, and having the key within easy reach is GREAT! I took the opportunity to install LEDs in the 4 indicator lights, and blue LEDs in the speedo & tach.
I have that bracket on my T100, it was there when I bought it and lots of people have asked about where it came from. Can you post up a link or contact info so I don't leave people without a good answer?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Do you have the original bracket still?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I have that bracket on my T100, it was there when I bought it and lots of people have asked about where it came from. Can you post up a link or contact info so I don't leave people without a good answer?
Put "layflat" in search and D9 ought to come up. He's the guy who makes and sells them.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Thanks for further explanation on the pullback risers PMstar.
Makes sense now. I see now the spacing you are referring to pertains to the bolt spacing for each existing riser. I see that your new riisers physically bolt to the lower half of the production riser.
Its an interesting execution and why those risers provide the pullback they do. As I continue to evolve the riding position of my new Bonny I will keep your risers in mind.
Congrats again...love the nice mods to your new Bonny.
George

·
Registered
147 Posts
That is beautiful, and I'm pretty sure that I must have one. How much did it cost you if you don't mind my asking? And how did you order it? Is the ignition switch wiring well protected from the elements? Lots of questions I know, but I'm very interested in one of these for my SE. Thanks...

Russ

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That is beautiful, and I'm pretty sure that I must have one. How much did it cost you if you don't mind my asking? And how did you order it? Is the ignition switch wiring well protected from the elements? Lots of questions I know, but I'm very interested in one of these for my SE. Thanks...

Russ
Russ,

In my opinion, the ignition wiring is no more vunerable to the elements in this configuration than it is stock. It might even be more protected now!
It would be best to ask the person who makes these any pricing questions. There are so many variations of polished, brushed, stainless, aluminum, black anodized, clear anodized, etc.

Thread for this specific item:
http://www.newbonnevilleriders.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140

Thread for more of his products:
http://www.newbonnevilleriders.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21

On this one, click on "Orders & Inquiries".

-pmstar

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Multimeter Question

Can a multimeter help in tracking down the correct wire carrying the tach signal in the headlight?
Cheers.
Ted

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Sorry Gents

Sorry guys, the above post was not supposed to land on this thread.
Ted

·
Registered
153 Posts
LED Bulbs

PMStar -

the bracket looks great. i'm installing the sidewinder bracket on mine soon. just curious, can you give the details on the LED lights you installed?

thanks -

Muss

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Just curious, can you give the details on the LED lights you installed?

thanks -

Muss
They were from SuperbrightLEDs.com as follows:
Tach: 2x WLED-B5 (Blue)
Speedo: 1x WLED-B5 (Blue) & 1x 74-BHP (Blue)
Oil Pressure: 74-RHP (Red), Neutral: 74-GHP (Green), & High Beam: 74-BHP (Blue)
Turn Signal Indicator: WLED-G6 (Green, non-polarized)

Some say "too bright", others say "not bright enough". Since I don't ride at night, if I can avoid it, I like 'em just fine.

My D9 bracket is also now accented by a Clocks4Bikes handlebar clock, and a beautiful titanium tapered socket head bolt from Corse Meccanica to secure the “urine cup” front brake fluid reservoir (since the mirrors are now gone).
I’m done for now, although I have saved room for:

1- Muffler Bearing Temperature Gauge.
2- Blinker Fluid Level Indicator.
3- Holder for a big can of “Whoop-A$$”.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts