Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI! Am past the 1000'k mark on mine. Shifting from 1st to 2nd, particularly @ high rpm's is becoming increasingly harder. Gets into neutral and does not want to move out of it! Takes 2 or 3 forceful attempts on the lever and lots of clutching to engage the 2nd gear. Unpleasant noises coming out of the box when it eventually engages. Odd as 2nd to 1st DOWNshifting is flawless. Problem, in fact, only manifests itself as described above, all other up and down shifts being silky smooth.

Am due to take the bike to the dealer for its first service. But as I am his only D675 riding customer thus far, I am wondering if any of you as experienced the same thing , and, if so, what's the cure?

Heaps of thanks.

Jamie :wink:

R

·
0 Posts
On 2006-04-09 07:57, Jamie wrote:
HI! Am past the 1000'k mark on mine. Shifting from 1st to 2nd, particularly @ high rpm's is becoming increasingly harder. Gets into neutral and does not want to move out of it! Takes 2 or 3 forceful attempts on the lever and lots of clutching to engage the 2nd gear. Unpleasant noises coming out of the box when it eventually engages. Odd as 2nd to 1st DOWNshifting is flawless. Problem, in fact, only manifests itself as described above, all other up and down shifts being silky smooth.

Am due to take the bike to the dealer for its first service. But as I am his only D675 riding customer thus far, I am wondering if any of you as experienced the same thing , and, if so, what's the cure?

Heaps of thanks.

Hi, i have 500 miles on it and dont have such a problem

check this place out, they might help:
http://www.triumph675.net/phpBB2/

·
Registered
56 Posts
On 2006-04-09 12:36, trypcil wrote:
Sounds like perhaps a clutch cable issue - needs some slack adjusted out of it perhaps!
Agreed. I dropped into my dealer and asked whether it was possible to make the clutch bite closer to the bar. I'm a bit of a numpty with these things so wasn't sure how to do it. They adjusted it a little bit but said that if it was done too much I might get pretty much what you're describing. I'd check that first off.

Cheers,

Greg

·
Registered
65 Posts
I never use the clutch for changing up when accelerating hard. Don't use the clutch and that'll tell you if it's a cable problem or not.

·
0 Posts
On 2006-04-09 07:57, Jamie wrote:

Heaps of thanks.

Hi Jamie,

Sounds like a Triumph.. I had quite a similar phenomenom with my Speed Triple ('03). There were no problems until about 1000km, after that I experienced that I was not able to shift from 2nd to 3rd in a hard accelaration (not too hard, but within the brake-in limitation). When this occurred I had to slow down and very carefully shift up from 2nd to 3rd, sometimes it was required to shift down back to 1st gear and then up again to 2nd/3rd.

In addition to above, I had some scrappy behavior of the box until they all disappeared after about 3..4000km on the clock.
I did the brake-in very carefully according to the instructions set by Triumph and the last scrappiness to dissappear from the box was the unsharp feeling of changing from 5th to 6th gear.

Anyhow, it could be that you are experiencing similar brake-in behavior of the Triumph's box.. Currently I have about 32000km on the clock (approx 20000miles), and the box is working very well in indeed.

regards, Panu

ps. allthough I am completely satisfied with my green S3 I am planning to upgrade it to yellow D675... ;)

·
Super Moderator
8,474 Posts
If you are at 1000 miles, and you haven't changed the oil yet, your oil is probably tired and dirty. Break in oil isn't the same stuff as regular oil, and fresh oil is one of the best improvements you can make in gearbox action. That is true for every bike I have ever owned. Once you get used to it, you can feel the oil deteriorate and get dirty through gearbox action.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On 2006-04-10 08:26, Will wrote:
you haven't changed the oil yet, your oil is probably tired and dirty. Break in oil isn't the same stuff as regular oil, and fresh oil is one of the best improvements you can make in gearbox action.
Thanks Will and others. This 1st to 2nd shifting inhibition started manifesting itself at exactly 500 miles (800 k's) and has only worsened since then, once the bike reaches normal operating temp. Have done some further testing. Oddly enough, such upshits are still possible, albeit a bit clumsy, when the box is still cold or only lukewarm. Never had such a problem with my Daytona 955i Centennial, BTW, talkin' about Triumph boxes.

Hope you are right oil-wise and that no damage has occured. Will find out tomorrow. Maybe other D675 owners will learn from this early hours little qualm of mine?

Will let you know. Best :cool:

Jamie

- Triumph Rocket III-

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Diagnosis? : Box and clutch not faulty, fortunately. Problem was a slight interference between the gear lever and the peg mount, i.e. the lever brushing the mount when doing energetic 1st to 2nd up shifts (and @ over 10'000 rpm's, they need to be energetic anyway!) and thus retarding or even impeding the shift

Advice, if I may?: Make sure the gear lever is not mounted a tiny bit too high ex-factory by checking its down and up movement. Adjustment a piece of cake, BTW.

Otherwise, an eventless, quick and reasonably thrifty break-in dealer service @ 1010 k's.

Take care. Jamie :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts