Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi again Andrew
Looks like I'm up for this now.
Bike bandit now sell the Ricks stators
http://www.bikebandit.com/aftermark...ors/rick-s-motorsport-electric-stator?m=17663
can't really tell if it's the same as the one direct but it is the same price.
https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/New-OEM-Style-Triumph-Stator-21_001
Exchange rate still sucks but it seems that it is probably the best option as even wreckers want quite a bit for these parts, and buying them together casts the same in delivery.
Looks like Rick's is no longer making the D600 stators.

·
Registered
56 Posts
See if you can have your one re-wound.

I had mine re-wound with thicker windings, and used the SH847AA reg/rec, and it's been great for close to 10,000km's now.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Yes i did exzatly the same as the above.. get it rewound.. ends up being a better job.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
So im going to order an 847 from https://www.roadstercycle.com/#SH847_SERIES_RR_KITS_ARE_NOW_AVAILABLE_

Im going to get my mechanic to install it as other issues need seeing to. I want to make sure i buy everything needed so is this "superkit" everything or do i need to worry about extra wire lengths and proprietary connectors.

Is the mod meant to involve replacing all the wiring in the bike or just the wiring inbetween the stator - reg\rec - battery?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
That kit should cover it all just depends on the length is the wires supplied they may or may not need extending.

Is the mod meant to involve replacing all the wiring in the bike or just the wiring inbetween the stator - reg\rec - battery?
Just the direct charging wiring should be changed.

All joints are hot soldered and shinked wraped.

Example in picture

·
Registered
34 Posts
So andrew do you still have the regulator under your tail after all this time? Would you mount it there again with the benefit of hindsight?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
So andrew do you still have the regulator under your tail after all this time? Would you mount it there again with the benefit of hindsight?
No if you read the post. I changed it to the original location.. was worried about the plastic melting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello all. I am the owner of a Triumph Speed Four in which the alternator burned out for the second time. During the next regeneration, I also decided to prophylactically replace the voltage regulator with Shindengen FH012AA and pull the new wires directly from the alternator to the regulator and from the regulator to the battery. However, I do not know what to do with the old wiring from the factory installation that went to the regulator at the output (plus and minus). Should I ignore them and insulate or maybe additionally connect to the battery? Thank you in advance for your answer, tomorrow I am starting this task.

·
Super Moderator
8,792 Posts
I'm confused. You are saying you are going to connect the R/R to the alternator, but no other connection? That would cut off power to the bike and more or less kill it. Wouldn't you connect the R/R to the alternator directly as you did, but then connect the R/R back to the rest of the bike just like the stock R/R? You will need a wiring diagram to sort that out, but once you have it, it should be straight forward enough.

It has been a long time since I dug into wiring up a R/R, so I could be wrong. You may be able to wire direct to the battery and not worry about it. I don't remember how the wiring connects up on a TT600 or S4 these days. If I'm misunderstanding or have this crossed up, somebody will be along to correct me soon, no doubt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I mean the wires from the plug of the old regulator (plus and minus, 2 x black and 2 x brown). But in fact, it seems to me that I should also connect them to the battery with the others that are already there, otherwise there will be no power to the motorcycle's electrics. Unless I'm wrong ?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Hello all. I am the owner of a Triumph Speed Four in which the alternator burned out for the second time. During the next regeneration, I also decided to prophylactically replace the voltage regulator with Shindengen FH012AA and pull the new wires directly from the alternator to the regulator and from the regulator to the battery. However, I do not know what to do with the old wiring from the factory installation that went to the regulator at the output (plus and minus). Should I ignore them and insulate or maybe additionally connect to the battery? Thank you in advance for your answer, tomorrow I am starting this task.
Klax,

If you have run new wiring as in my picture above. With the old wiring just tape up the ends and pull the fuse (cannot remember which one)..

The stator will supply power the the r/r. Then the r/r will regulate the power and will charge the battery. The bikes electrics will get the power from the battery.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the hints. My joy does not last long. I modified the voltage regulator on the FH012AA and the wires. I installed a regenerated alternator. I did about 1,000 km. And the problem got me again - the alternator burned for the third time ... Please tell me what can cause this problem? In fact, the old installation only has a battery that I have not replaced and which seems to be working. The motorcycle season has just ended for me ... I have to find the cause of this problem, did any of you have such a problem?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Thanks for the hints. My joy does not last long. I modified the voltage regulator on the FH012AA and the wires. I installed a regenerated alternator. I did about 1,000 km. And the problem got me again - the alternator burned for the third time ... Please tell me what can cause this problem? In fact, the old installation only has a battery that I have not replaced and which seems to be working. The motorcycle season has just ended for me ... I have to find the cause of this problem, did any of you have such a problem?
Klax..

What do you mean about theses 2 comments...

1) "I modified the voltage regulator on the FH012AA and the wires...."

Did you modify the unit????

2) I installed a regenerated alternator

Do you.mean a re-wound stator

·
Registered
6 Posts
I installed a new voltage regulator according to the instructions on the forum. Alternator regenerated, winding replaced with new one.

·
Super Moderator
21,984 Posts
@klax - please post in English - use Google translator or similar to create your translation before you post it

And the problem got me again - the alternator burned for the third time ... Please tell me what can cause this problem?
A common problem that happens with the FH012 is that it will burn up the connector/wires from the stator if the connections are not extremely well done.
So first inspect that connector out of the stator for any signs of burning - it might be just that, in which case you can either replace the connector or cut it out and hard-splice the wires together.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts