Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Sure, still going great no issues at all.
I recommend this upgrade if your putting in a new stator, but for the other bike why change its as it seemsto be working and In good use in good use with 50k on the oem.

·
Registered
129 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I used the Rick's motorsports Hotshots MOSFET one, because that's recommended by racers who stress out R/Rs more
Not to say that it will not work as it should in many applications .

However it is still a shunt R/R that will move all unused power back to the stator still causing it to overheat. Te SH847AA is a SERIES R/R which disconnects fron the stator and inly supplies the bike the power that is required. Therefore reducing the load on the stator and extending the life...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Fork out and get the series R/R, seriously.

My bike had a shunt R/R put in by a previous owner when they upgraded the whole charging circuit. The stator burned out after about 17,000KMs, which is about how long the stock R/R and stator lasted. I now have a series R/R and it's still going strong after about 5,000KMs ish, and I hope to get 3 times that again, at least, out of it.

Changing stators and such is an easy job, but doing it more regularly because you wanted to save money or use what's "recommended by racers" is a bit naff if you ask me. Plus, they're pretty pricey parts, best off just forking out a bit more to begin with, and have the whole thing last much, much longer.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Wont just change it out in the other bike till its needed. But may when funds allow go ahead and have the parts handy and on the shelf. Maybe take along with me on long road trips when normally stuff like this will fail 200 miles from a dealership. Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Not to say that it will not work as it should in many applications .

However it is still a shunt R/R that will move all unused power back to the stator still causing it to overheat. Te SH847AA is a SERIES R/R which disconnects fron the stator and inly supplies the bike the power that is required. Therefore reducing the load on the stator and extending the life...
Sure, series is theoretically ideal, but in the defense of the shunt MOSFET, Yamaha used these as OEM in the early 2000s and failure is rare now a decade or more later.

·
Super Moderator
21,984 Posts
Sure, series is theoretically ideal, but in the defense of the shunt MOSFET, Yamaha used these as OEM in the early 2000s and failure is rare now a decade or more later.
We're not talking about reliability of the R/R with respect to installing a Series Regulator, but Reliability of the STATOR.
And the MOSFET Shunt R/R will do absolutely nothing to improve the reliability of that on Triumph.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Lets not divert the direction of this post, as it is about installing the new SH847AA SERIES R/R into a Daytona 600. (which no one had completed or tested) at the time of this orginal post.

There are many posts on this forum stating on how the mosfet R/R is a great upgrade from the stock R/R and I also had a FH020 installed untill this SH847AA upgrade experiment.

Please Lets keep this post on the topics subject which is installing a new Stator and the new SH847AA series R/R.

Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
I can attest that stators still burn out quickly with the Hotshot RR. I will be ordering the SH847AA to use on my Speed Four.

I replaced the RR with a HotShot from Rick's Motorsport when the OEM stator went. I have now fried the third stator in less than four years since that update. I run my bike on the track a lot, and in those situations have all lights removed from the bike, so the RR is shunting a lot of power. After the second one of the Rick's stators went they suggested I try connecting up some high power resistors to draw some load. I got a couple of the 6 amp resistors that are used with LED lighting, and was running them off my tail light plug, but the latest stator only lasted 14 months.

I am hoping that the SH847AA, along with a special heavy duty wind that Rick's Motorsport made for me, will let stator replacement be a thing of the past. Thanks for doing the testing on it and confirming it does work with the four cylinder bikes.

If anyone else wants to try the special stator, they listed it on the invoice as "21-001; New OEM Style Triumph Stator Special wind w/ High Temp Wire".

·
Registered
258 Posts
Thanks for the Stator update - I have a Speed Four with the FH012AA, and noticed the headlight get very bright at higher RPM's.. Waiting/saving up for a SH847AA. Not riding the S4 until I get it - don't want to buy another stator.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks! gunna be installing this tonight, how was reusing the stock location for the rectifier? are the heat levels alright?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi again Andrew
Looks like I'm up for this now.
Bike bandit now sell the Ricks stators
http://www.bikebandit.com/aftermark...ors/rick-s-motorsport-electric-stator?m=17663
can't really tell if it's the same as the one direct but it is the same price.
https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/New-OEM-Style-Triumph-Stator-21_001
Exchange rate still sucks but it seems that it is probably the best option as even wreckers want quite a bit for these parts, and buying them together casts the same in delivery.

Anyway what I really wanted to know is the cables. Which way did you go.
I may just solder them for now but there seems to be a few variations available. Does the new replacement OEM adapter cable just fit.

Thanks, Greg

·
Super Moderator
21,984 Posts
... I wanted the remove the weak links as the connector normally melts. ...
'normally' is a stretch - a poorly executed connector termination will melt;
the selection of a good quality appropriately rated connector set, with properly crimped terminals (using the correct tool) will not have any issues and makes any future maintenance more friendly - although the Shindengen MOSFET and Series types have connectors at the R/R anyway which somewhat negates that requirement - but also brings up another point - you don't see those melting, do you?
You must also recognize that with the Series Regulator, the stator connectors are only pulling about half the current vs a Shunt Regulator - which, regardless of the contact resistance, is a factor of 4 less power dissipated at the interface (because power is proportional to the square of the current - half the current, quarter the power)
I personally prefer the convenience and frankly aesthetic appearance of a quality connector set, but that's just me.
If you want to solder extensions, that's OK - just want to stress that connectors are not prohibitive if they are executed properly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the melted main fuse, and prior to that my heated grips randomly cut out, indicating voltage dropping below 11.5 volts during riding. So I'm guessing one or both of the stator and rectifier have died. I'm struggling to find the recommended rectifiers at a sensible price, has anone got experience of the Electrexworld gear? http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acat...umph-955I-Speed-Triple-Tiger-Sprint-1050.html

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Sorry have not used them....

Why not upgrade to the sh847aa series r/r . Yes more expensive but alot better management of power output...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 67 Posts