1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So from my previous posts my stator had failed whilst riding
http://www.triumphrat.net/triumph-supersports/593314-d600-stator-failed.html

and inquired on the best connection methods for the stator
http://www.triumphrat.net/triumph-supersports/598418-stator-best-connection.html

So I ended up purchasing the SH847AA from Bike Bandit, (exchange rate from AUD sucks), anyway 4 days later I had it in my hand Very happy with delivery.

And I had my previous stator rewound locally, also very happy with the results.

So I started stripping the bike down to complete the swap R/R and Stator and decided all new 12g wire Soldered and shrinked.

After removing the stator cover I saw why my bike stopped charging (what a mess), look at the difference between old and new.

The new SH847AA R/R it is a little LARGER than the FH020AA but not too much of an issue (longer, wider, fatter).

So started with the new 12 gauge wiring harness, stator soldered/shrinked direct to R/R and R/R direct to Battery

With the installation I first installed in the original location with a new aluminium mounting plate, I found that when sitting the tank back on the fuel connectors kept touching the new R/R. So I needed to relocate it.

Found a simple and very easy spot - underneath the tail section (I just used a soldering iron to melt the plastic the bolted it straight on. The best part of this spot is that it will get the airflow R/R’s require.

and have just been thinking of this location, i just hope it does not get too hot and start to melt the plastic. I may need to place a larger plate underneath it to assist cooling.

Once all re-connected i started it up and was very surprised with the results:

1. idle w/lights on 14.1volts

2. rpm @ 4000 = 14.5volts

As I was testing this on a D600 i was unsure if this R/R would keep regulation higher RPM’s so with careful monitoring give it a high constant rev and also some quick throttle bursts and was very happy with the outcome.

10,000 rpm = 14.5 volts
Bursts sat at a constant 14.5 volts

Throttle response was a great improvement and very crisp… now just waiting to take it for a test ride tomorrow..

*** Please note the SH775 will not keep regulation with theses bike (I also tested it) ****

Andrew

·
Registered
163 Posts
I lowered my mounting point when I installed mine, but its an FH unit.What advantage does the SH have over the FH, higher RPM regulation?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well, today I thought i had better to find a different mounting locations (do not want it to melt the under-tail plastic. As the the SH847AA R/R is a little larger than the FH020AA I opted to put the R/R back in the original location, made a new mounting bracket and lowered the sitting position of it and is now sitting nicely in position.

Day6
but its an FH unit.What advantage does the SH have over the FH, higher RPM regulation?
The SH847AA is a series R/R which is different from the SCR FH R/R. Our Bike have a issue to go though stators and so i am hoping this R/R will keep it happier longer.

DEcosse has a good right up about it here:

http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple-forum/104504-charging-system-diagnostics-rectifier-regulator-upgrade-2.html#post3766329

Well So far very happy with it , over the next few days i will be testing it out, but so far looks like it will handle regulation in our high revving bikes

As you can see here I have mounted the R/R cross ways as this way it can sit lower and allow the fuel connectors plenty of room.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Wow, thanks for the write up and pictures! If/when mine fries again, I'll probably do this.

·
Super Moderator
21,256 Posts
Per your post on the S3 forum, it goes to red-line and remains in regulation which is outstanding :party news, vs the SH775 or Compufire, neither of which seems to control well on the higher rpm 4's above about 10K

.... The SH847AA is a series R/R which is different from the SCR FH R/R.
Perhaps you just missed an '&' there between SCR & FH - it reads like FH is SCR, which of course they are not, they are MOSFET - however still Shunt, whereas the 847 is Series so quite different in operation to EITHER Shunt type, whether SCR or MOSFET

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Spoke too soon! My R/R has finally failed, about 5k miles after replacing the stator.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
J.Max

sorry to hear the bad news
Spoke too soon! My R/R has finally failed, about 5k miles after replacing the stator.

I do recommend the SH847AA R/R upgrade. No issues at all with my... I am glad i took the chance and brought it..

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
YES a good "known" upgrade.

Although it is still a "SHUNT" type R/R and will do nothing to prolong the life if the stator.

The SH847AA R/R is a SERIES R/R which rather than shunting the load bat to the stator (ie, creating heat) the SH847AA R/R disconnects from the stator.
As our bikes have a HIGH stator failure rate, I decided to try out the SH847AA R/R and now I believe an overall better choice.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
For ease of install, I ended up going with the Rick's Motorsports 'hot shots(z?)' R/R that is plug and play. It was immediately apparent that the OEM R/R was the problem as my charging is now up to 14V+ when revved, and ~13.8V at idle.

·
Registered
129 Posts
YES a good "known" upgrade.

Although it is still a "SHUNT" type R/R and will do nothing to prolong the life if the stator.

The SH847AA R/R is a SERIES R/R which rather than shunting the load bat to the stator (ie, creating heat) the SH847AA R/R disconnects from the stator.
As our bikes have a HIGH stator failure rate, I decided to try out the SH847AA R/R and now I believe an overall better choice.
Theoretically, yes, but the reality is the guys who run at redline all day at tracks don't seem to have stator failures with Rick's R/R.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Stay on topic

BubbaDaytona, lets not go 'OFF' topic on this post, as it is about installing the new SH847AA SERIES R/R into a Daytona 600. (which noone has completed or tested).

Yes, there are many posts on how the mosfet r/r is a great upgrade and I also had a FH020 untill this upgrade and was also very happy with it.

Theoretically, yes, but the reality is the guys who run at redline all day at tracks don't seem to have stator failures with Rick's R/R.
Just remember running at Redline is not where the stator generates all is power from.

Please Lets keep this post on topics regarding the New Series R/R SH847AA.

thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
So I've been talking with Jack at roadster cycle.com. He sells kits for many different R/Rs including mosfets and the SH775.

I accidentally bought the SH775 from him as he has never had anyone with a problem with them. And I thought I would be okay.

Of course with my luck the bike I have (TT600) doesn't like those R/R's

He has already ordered a bunch of the SH847AAs and may be making kits for them soon!
It surprised me that he didn't know where to find them, but thanks to everyone here for informing me to inform him about this great R/R.

Learning a lot! ��

·
Registered
86 Posts
Got an more updates on this upgrade?
Just had my stator redone on my D600 and looking to upgrading the R/R as well.

Might do the same to my other bike as well as its closing in on 50k miles and still on the OEM stator and R/R

1 - 20 of 51 Posts