Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I assume my D1200 will be alright after what happened last night. I had a bit of trouble trying to start it but it started eventually. It was burning a bit of oil from the right exhaust can, not sure if I messed something up or if it's residual oil burning off, since that is the side it fell on. I had a pretty nasty backfire too while trying to start it so I hope it wasn't anything internal. I let it warm up and gently reved it, no problems.
Now back to my question. I had to take a sport bike specific course, similiar to an MSF course and during it I really pushed the Daytona to it's limits and I need to adjust my suspension really bad. I was wondering if anyone would be able to guide me on where to get started, I'm not too keen on suspensions. What I really need to do is get a Haynes manual for this bike. Anyway it's a stock suspension, I weigh about 210lbs, and I never ride two up. I'd like to get a nice stiff suspension too.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
I did the MSRC a few weeks ago on the D12. I have Racetech front springs/oil with stock rear shock. I bought the RaceTech emulators or valves (can't remember which they are) but didn't install them as nothing matched in the supplied phots/instructions of the OEM cartrige bottom. Go for the uprated springs and you see the world o' difference.
Anyhow, it handled quite well for a 13+yo bike and easily kept the pace with the more modern bikes.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
It might be a good idea to check the right side crankcase cover. There is a boss on the inside of the fairing that can hit the cover and crack or hole it, the leak won't be apparent until you get up to speed.

·
Registered
116 Posts
tritonwow,

Love the Daytona 1200. Did you have problems with cables/throttles etc? (Sorry - slightly off topic).

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
ffry, sorry 4 the threadjack. BEL I sent you a PM. Spondon makes me drool! I'd love to put a D12 engine in one of their frames!

ffry, I just reread your initial post and realized you most likely don't have a manual. I get into mine tomorrow and port the recommended setting for the stock suspension. Also, do a google search because I know I've seen some really good sites describing how to adjust properly from a stock setting.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I am manualess. I do have a book though, "101 Sportbike Projects", which goes into great detail how to setup a suspension. Its just going to take some time to dial it in right but I know my current setup is horrible, waaaay to much sag. I just wanted to get a starting point if anyone had any sugestions.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Ok, I couldn't find it in the service manual but Haynes says:
Front fork
Preload Rebound Compression
solo - standard 5 6 6
- softer 6 9 8
- firmer 4 4 3
with pillion 4-5 4-6 3-6
w/ pillion and luggage 1-4 1-4 1-3

Preload - All the way out shows eight grooves; 1 (on top) through 8 (bottom one nearest the hexagon) The numbers above count down from the top.
Rebound (center of the preload adjuster) - has 12 positions; max setting is all the turned clockwise. numbers above are number of clicks turned counter-clockwise from max
Compression (bottom of each fork slider) - has 12 damping positions set the same way as Rebound

Rear shock (preload and damping; up to VIN 29155)
Preload Damping
solo - standard 2 or 3 2
- softer 2 1
- firmer 4 3
with pillion 3-4 2-3
w/ pillion and luggage 3-4 3-4

Rear shock (remote adjuster type)
Damping
solo - standard 6
- softer 8
- firmer 4
with pillion 4
w/ pillion and luggage 1-3

max is all the way clockwise; settings are the number of clicks turned counter-clockwise from max

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey thanks a lot, that's exactly what I needed. I think I need to invest in the Haynes manual for the bike. I've seen online but keep putting it off fo some silly reason. Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts