Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to repack both silencers. I'm not wanting an extremely loud bike but something with a nice rumble would be great is fiberglass better than the steel wool packing that I've seen? Never done this before but found a nice generic article on Sportrider.com of how to do this mess.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to repack both silencers. I'm not wanting an extremely loud bike but something with a nice rumble would be great is fiberglass better than the steel wool packing that I've seen? Never done this before but found a nice generic article on Sportrider.com of how to do this mess.
What cans have you got ??

·
Registered
408 Posts
I'm planning to do this in the winter time, assuming we're talking about the stock silencers. No idea what's inside them, if they're resonator chamber types or what, hence waiting because I don't know what's inside and don't want to be off the road if it's not a quick job. So if anyone's opened up the stock ones, I'd love to know what's inside.

I've re-done other silencers before, chopped and gutted them, made a straight-through system with drilled tube and glassfibre wadding. Got some pix but may not relate to these D12 cans.

Normal steel wool will rust, 'glass must be better on that score.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm talking the stockers. Love to get upgrade and pick up an aftermarket set but just don't have the funding for it. I have some rivets and a gun at home so I might explore and pull the end cap off and see what's inside so I can go from there. I know there's a guy that posted a Youtube video of a black D1200 that had his redone but, he had them done by someone else. I'm hoping there's an internal baffle that requires a wrap, really not sure so I'll find out when I get there. If not I'll just seal it up and wait. I will though take any suggestions that can help me making a huge mistake.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Could be coincidence, but I think that guy is on this board, or was, saw a post that said he'd had them done when srching for info on this idea.

When I did some cans they had a system of resonator chambers. I cut those out and made a tube, drilled it, and made end discs to have a sort of chamber. Then put the packing in the 'chamber' and buttoned it all up.
Pretty much guesswork as to how dense to make the wadding vs loudness, I had it somewhere between loose and 'fluffy' and hard-packed but it was all just a guess.

The design of those could be totally different to the D12 ones and hopefully will be a whole lot less hassle to mod, no idea. I'm in the same boat, not enough cash for nice replacement cans so will be tinkering with the ones I've got...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Muffler Repacking

Hi There, - I've played around with the stock mufflers but not inside.

When you take the end caps off you will find that they are simply riveted to the trailing lip of the can and you wont have access to the guts unless you cut the can end off, which you would need to then re weld on. If you are also handy with a gas welder then this shouldnt be a problem.

Good luck - Kiwigeoff:D

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info, don't think it's worth having to cut the can off and reweld is since I have no welder and don't feel the need to pay for it to be done. I'd rather upgrade the front end.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts