Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I figured since my Daytona fell over, while waiting on a new turn signal I would get the fork seals changed out because I noticed oil leaking out of the left fork. I've already ordered the new seal kit and am awaiting their arrival, since I lack the tools and know-how I figured I'd pay to have them replaced, except I would take the tubes to the mech. With that being said many places I have contacted still want to charge me anywhere between $180 to $360 to have the seals changed, tubes off the bike, and the parts handed to them. I have heard it's not a fun job changing them but the last time I had seals changed it took the guy about 30 minutes and sixty dollars. Would it be worth the trouble for me to attempt to do this on my own or just pay my first born and a few limbs?
-Ryan

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
Really to do the seals the forks have to be dismantled, new oil at the correct level etc etc...half an hour sounds like the job maybe wasn't done really well if it only took that long.

Quite a few here reckon that the lower & upper bushes are worth renewing at this stage too because they can be at the root of the seals going in the first place, I went this route when I did mine and the forks deffo feel more together (although I think they were quite worn ie. I could see the play !!).

It is a messy smelly job, but not too technical, dealer here in the UK charge about £40-£50 pounds an hour so $180 sounds closer but still maybe a bit steep.

I know attacking them yourself may not seem appealing but apart from a lot of swearing and a few new tools it would work out a lot cheaper....and even cheaper still should you need to do it again sometime in the future.

Anyroad hope someone more local to you can point you to a good shop ;-)

Cheers
Mot

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
If I had it to do over again, I would definitely replace the bushes. It took me hours, close to a full day, to get the forks rebuilt and swapped. I also had to use the air-impact wrench at the garage I was renting to get them apart. The seals failed about a week later, probably because the bushes were shot. :p

It was a huge pain to do, but I was broke at the time & now I know how to do it.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
I've never attempted replacing them myself. I've always taken them off and had a local bike shop do the replacement. They charged me about $150 to do the job but that's been at least four years ago.
It's was way too big a job for me to do without the special tools or expertise. Still, $360 seems a bit steep.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi have done this myself recently on my D1200. £120 plus vat and parts at a bike shop or £40 for the two oil seals and two new dust seals. I have done this job twice on my D1200 two years apart. First time I stripped the forks down to change the seals. This time with the forks still on the bike I lifted the dust seals up and removed the spring circlip. I then held the front brake on and pumped the forks up and down. both seals popped out of their location. I removed each leg and removed the old seal. The new seals can be driven in very easily with a plastic drain pipe of a suitable diameter.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks

Hey I appreciate your help, I found a pretty good deal from a local shop that will do the job for $100 or so, best price I have found and I'm going to get them done today, assuming my seals arrive today before 1800. Anyway thanks again, I think I would have had some serious problems trying to the seals myself. Now my next task to find new turn signals for my love. I ordered an OEM replacement since the bike fell over and I recieved it but it's a newer model, the length is good but it's a smaller signal. So I might eat the bill for it or resell it on ebay. It's so hard to find parts in the states for my 93'

1 - 6 of 6 Posts