Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the new owner of an neglected Daytona 1200 1997. See Pix below.
After checking all vital systems I took it for the first 50KM shakedown last weekend.
After warm up I noticed that the engine would not decelerate with a closed throttle.
Pull over and checking the throttle cable....it seemed to be moving OK without any drag.
Upon closer inspection of the Carby/Airbox area I discovered that the boots to the box on two carbies were not even connected, however I could not fix on the road.
Anyway back to the workshop, tank off and review of the airbox.
What a mess. 20 years old and butchered by a number of previous mechanics. They obviously had problems getting the airbox off and on and well, many broken bolt eyes and no mounting bolts, epoxy repairs and so on. The air Filter was black, filthy and ready for the bin.
I thought long and hard about trying to get a new airbox and keeping her totally standard...however the standard design seemed flawed.
After much research on this site and other: I have decided to go with K&N POD filters (RU-2780) and store the current airbox parts for future. I am aware that the carbs will need to be overhauled and re-jetted.
From what I've read this has it's Pro's and Con's...so I'm thinking of buying the Factory Pro Kit. Anyone have any experience with this combination?
Soon as the filters arrive I will test and assess the state of tune further then.
Stay tuned.
George

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Day 2
Spend the day fettling the beast.
The excitement of receiving the K&N Pods quickly evaporated as I realised they don't fit. Very frustrating as the eBay seller item page specifically said they fit a Daytona 1200. Whatever you do don't try RU-2780 pods. See the first pix. I hate eBay sometimes however in Thailand we don't have much choice in getting even the most basic of bike stuff.
Anyway living in Thailand you learn to be resourceful, so rather than wasting the day I needed to work out a solution to get the bike going so that I could have a second test flight on it on Sunday morning.
Pulled the crappy old airbox and snorkles out of the storage bin and proceeded to clean and repair them.
A few new bolts, some silicon, thorough clean of the old filter and they were back on the bike by lunch time.
Yes I had to pull the carbs but did not have to disconnect the throttle and choke cable...which was a bit of bonus. Fare bit of wiggling and rocking and a few scratches later to get them on but in the end it worked out and wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. Quite a poor design really especially when you consider how easy it is to change an air filter on some other bikes.
I also checked the plugs which looked a nice cappuccino in colour...a good sign.
The standing test was OK and I felt the engine was far more responsive than the first ride. Better cross my fingers here.
A fuel leak became evident and was traced to the main fuel line. I have that on the list to do however haven't got the lines yet. I suspect I'll need to remove the airbox again to be able to change these...unless anyone has a better idea.
Finally removed both farings (see pix) which will be sent to the painters on Monday. Front faring will go as well however I left in on for tomorrows shake down.
I also made the rear cowl fit better by trimming the upholstery on the passenger seat. It looks as if it was re-upholstered before and they put a bit to much sponge in the seat upsweep.
The bike is coming along and doesn't look too bad without the farings...a Triumph Speed Quattro...hahaha.
Look forward to the ride in the morning.
Stay tuned

George

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DAY 3
The bike purred back into life on the first kick this morning, with the repaired old airbox.
Warmed her up and notice some water leaking from the overflow tank. Hmmm. This happened last week as well.
Checked and topped up to the correct level.

Then...A great 30 mins ride before disaster struck.
Engine overheating into the RED.
Stopped and let it cool down and then topped up

What's happened?
-a new radiator has been installed because it was spewing water out of the overflow tank. This was done just before I bought it.
-maybe a new radiator cap was added as well….not sure. I checked it, cleaning it and reinstalled. It looked fine.
-The bike temp gauge is OK for awhile and then it surges into overheat/red line, even with the fan on manual switch.
-It started to overflow through the overflow tank after about 10 mins of idling, however riding it was OK and stayed cool for about 20 mins.
-I suspect either the radiator cap, thermostat or water pump, or possibly too much muck in the system and it needs to be purged.
- I don’t suspect a head gasket or hair line crack in the head as there is no oil in the coolant and no frothy water residue in the oil…thank god.

-Online some have suggested it may be a air/vapour lock in the system and to try and get this out by squeezing all the hoses, run the bike on idle with the radiator cap off and using a chicken baster (like a big syringe), remove coolant from the overflow tank back into the radiator for about 5 to 10 mins and purge the system of any air….apparently Triumph have used this technique on a guys bike in France and it worked.

OK before I go and change the water pump I thought I would order a radiator cap and thermostat first as they are not too expensive.
While waiting for this to arrive, flush the system and de-scaled as well. Any tips?
Refill with new coolant. I will use Triumph spec.
Some online posters have recommended ‘Water Wetter” which apparently keeps things cooler. Anyone use this before?

Plan to tackle this in the next day or so.

Stay tuned

George

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Try Engine Ice. I use it in all of my bikes...the Triumph Daytona 900, the 1986 Yamaha FZX700, and the 1989 Yamaha VMax.

I live in Arizona USA...it gets up to 115 degrees here in the summer, and I've NEVER had an overheating problem with it. (The Vmax is an ESPECIALLY hot-running ride.)

I highly recommend it.

Good luck with your project.

Elimax

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Elimax
Good advice but I don't think it is available in Thailand.
I'll research and see and if not check on OS delivery...which is usually expensive.
Working to a budget I may need to try a locally available one such as under the Motul brand.
Thanks once again
George

1 - 7 of 7 Posts