Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DAY 3
The bike purred back into life on the first kick this morning, with the repaired old airbox.
Warmed her up and notice some water leaking from the overflow tank. Hmmm. This happened last week as well.
Checked and topped up to the correct level.

Then...A great 30 mins ride before disaster struck.
Engine overheating into the RED.
Stopped and let it cool down and then topped up

What's happened?
-a new radiator has been installed because it was spewing water out of the overflow tank. This was done just before I bought it.
-maybe a new radiator cap was added as well….not sure. I checked it, cleaning it and reinstalled. It looked fine.
-The bike temp gauge is OK for awhile and then it surges into overheat/red line, even with the fan on manual switch.
-It started to overflow through the overflow tank after about 10 mins of idling, however riding it was OK and stayed cool for about 20 mins.
-I suspect either the radiator cap, thermostat or water pump, or possibly too much muck in the system and it needs to be purged.
- I don’t suspect a head gasket or hair line crack in the head as there is no oil in the coolant and no frothy water residue in the oil…thank god.

-Online some have suggested it may be a air/vapour lock in the system and to try and get this out by squeezing all the hoses, run the bike on idle with the radiator cap off and using a chicken baster (like a big syringe), remove coolant from the overflow tank back into the radiator for about 5 to 10 mins and purge the system of any air….apparently Triumph have used this technique on a guys bike in France and it worked.

OK before I go and change the water pump I thought I would order a radiator cap and thermostat first as they are not too expensive.
While waiting for this to arrive, flush the system and de-scaled as well. Any tips?
Refill with new coolant. I will use Triumph spec.
Some online posters have recommended ‘Water Wetter” which apparently keeps things cooler. Anyone use this before?

Plan to tackle this in the next day or so.

Stay tuned

George

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Water Wetter is an additive you add to distilled water to keep it from cavitating and rusting when used in a cooling system. Justice Brothers makes some better additives for running plain water, but if you can't get those in Thailand I would use Water Wetter. There is no reason to use glycol-based coolant where you are; water with additives is better if the temperature never reaches freezing.

It sounds like you're doing most of the things I would do already (rad cap, flushing), but I would also replace the coolant temperature sender. I suspect that that's why your temp readings are going into the red; a blown head gasket is the only other thing I've seen cause that and your head gasket is obviously good.

Do idle with the rad cap off for a few minutes, just to visually verify that the coolant is flowing and therefore the water pump is good.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
19 Speed Twin / 00 TBS
803 Posts
Definitely try purging the system by squeezing the hoses when you re fill the system and while it idles with the cap off. And keep the coolant at the lower level as they do spit out at higher level.

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you're going to order a new radiator fan temperature switch George I'd suggest you get the part made for Volvo 740/760/960s of the late '80s/early '90s. See http://www.yoyopart.com/oem/1063036/fae-36070.html. I got one of these when the switch on my Trident stopped working a few months ago and the good thing is that they kick in at a lower temperature than the the Triumph part, which is a good thing if you live in a hot climate as we both do. I'm also having one fitted to my D1200 in the UK because these bikes really don't like standing around in traffic. You can buy one form Amazon UK for very little, including shipping - see https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DQGKXSY

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks Fergrorke,'
First flush I used a heavy duty "descaler' given to me by a mate. Completely emptied the cooling system and filled with this descaled and distilled water. Couldn't get more than two litres in, even with massaging the rubber coolant pipes. I ran the engine for 15 mins and it stayed coolish in the 75% temp zone. However after 10 mins it started to leak out of the overflow tank....quite a lot.
Drained this after is cooled and then flushed a second time with 50% vinegar and 50% distilled water. Same thing happened as first flush. It seems to be releasing water from the rubber cap on the overflow tank.
Thanks for your advice on the radiator cap which is either releasing water into the overflow tank early due to a fault, or the water temp is very high and the gauge or sensor is faulty.
Anyway before I put the final coolant in (Honda spec) I will change the rad cap and temp sensor.
Thanks for your advice.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
If coolant is coming out of the cap on the overflow tank, you probably have a problem with the overflow hose. The elbows that attach the hoses to the reservoir are notorious for failing.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi KitNYC,
Hey thanks for that insight.
I have already ordered a new expansion tank, thermostat, Temp sensor (Volvo) and radiator cap.
Let me check the line in and out connectors on the expansion tank.
Line in is obviously working.
Line out might be blocked.
TKs
George

1 - 8 of 8 Posts