Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to do an accurate adjustment of my mixture screws. They should be done after reaching operating temperature. I have a triumph d screw tool. What extended tool can be used with the d tool so as not to burn my hands?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
You can't burn your hands! They will be around nothing that is hot, as the screws are below the carburetor on the outboard side. Are you sure you've got the right location for what you plan on adjusting?

·
Registered
915 Posts
Remove the D screw completely (turn in gently all the way, counting the # of turns until it seats, so you know where to set it when you replace it). Use a Dremel tool with a thin disc and cut a slot for a screwdriver blade in the head of the D screw. Then replace it, and simply use a short screwdriver for future adjustments.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
After much deliberation, I opted for the D tool from NewBonneville. Like the idea of the screws unexposed and have heard [maybe falsely] that the thumbscrews MAY be a little out of kilter, although it depends on from where you buy.
Either way, if you burn your hands, you must go out of your way to do so.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Like the idea of the screws unexposed and have heard [maybe falsely] that the thumbscrews MAY be a little out of kilter, although it depends on from where you buy.
Either way, if you burn your hands, you must go out of your way to do so.
If you buy the thumbscrews from NewBonneville they have the correct taper. If you buy from elsewhere they can be screws intended for Harley fitment and have a different taper so the settings are not directly comparable with the original screws. Maybe I've got big hands, but I've managed to make myself go "ouch" on a hot engine casing more than once when fiddling about under the carbs. YMMV as they say.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I took the metal ink cartridge from a fine pen and bent it into the proper shape and it only took a few beers before the screws were out. I ordered the replacements from Newbonneville. They work great. Just don't lose the o-ring and washer. I almost did.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Yeah, I think they are good, but here's what I'm thinking - varying the settings will be infrequent for most. When I am tidying up the bike, I'm moving around the carb bodies and top part beneath the carbs with my WD40 spritzed cloth. You whack the screws a bit, move 'em a bit...stuff like that.
Since I sprung for a D tool to replace my home made what the heck.

·
Registered
10,209 Posts
I'm not trying to sell them, but you can see in the picture that the thumbscrews have index marks on them, so you can see where they're set and easily count the number of turns.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts