Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
brand new bike with d&d pipes. tonight i notice rust marks approx silver dollar size devoloping on both pipes . only 170 miles on this bike and pipes . is this normal , if so quite upsetting.

·
Registered
191 Posts
If I had rust that size on new pipes I would be contacting the dealer I purchased them from and ask for a full refund. That is not normal. I have heard about rust issues before with D&D. I decided to go with a different system. Good Luck!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Are you using a cover for your bike by chance?? I have had my D&D's for almost 3 years now without a rust problem. A lot of times a cover will trap moisture and actually create problems. If you are storing your bike in a garage, a sheet is the best cover since it will block dust, but still allow the bike to breathe.

M

·
0 Posts
I've got about 5,000 miles on my D&Ds. No rust whatsoever! My bonnie is stored in a garage. With the jet kit and Calico baked black headers, My 04 Bonnie Black is pushing 60hp on the dyno. Contact D&D about the problem. They stand behind their product.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Stinebiz had a horrible time with rust on his D&D's....but he also lives in Hawaii. I see you are in Sac-Town.

Westerly wind....salt water from the ocean.....

This makes me wonder something.

When it rains on the west coast, does the rain water have a higher salt content?

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Has anyone heard or had experience with the black ceramic coated D&D pipes rusting? I am just curious if the black coating protects the steel any better. I have not completely ruled out black D&Ds over black Predators yet, and would appreciate any info.

Also, to help preserve your exhaust system (everyone probably knows this here): I heard somewhere several years ago that one of the worst things you can do for an exhaust system (car or bike) is to start the vehicle, let the engine run for just a few minutes, then shut it off. Since water is a product of combustion, it condenses on the insides of your cold exhaust system. If you don't run engine until the whole exhaust system is hot enough to keep any water from condensing on the insides of the pipes, then when you shut the motor down, there will be water sitting inside your exhaust system. I ran my bike for about 5 minutes the other day then shut it down. I happened to remember about the water, stuck a finger inside the tiny stock Thrux exhaust pipe hole, and sure enough, it was all wet inside.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the replys. id did a little so.s pad and they buffed right out. i will now just watch to see if they reappear soon and contact d&d and the dealer.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh yeah will they ever get to a point where the rust is non-treatable with s.o.s or something of the nature. i really love the way the pipes look and espeacially sound.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts