Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

I've been back and fourth with myself for 12k miles (a year) now about these pipes. The above picture did me in. I absolutely love the look of this bike with the pipes so low. Problem is, I know that you're supposed to get Thruxton length shocks if using these on a bonnie - which I plan to. I'd love to keep what I'm running but would love some feedback from you boys (and/or gals). So that you know, I ride the bike everyday at a minimum of 30 miles and like to ride the curves to PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) on the weekends. The poor girl gets no break.

If anyone has a set that they're looking to let go of I'm really interested. I'll also be posting up a centerstand that I rarely used on the classifieds section very soon - assuming I go through with the pipes...

Update: Street pipes not full race

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
first off that pic is of the street tt pipes the full race pipes the mufflers are black no end caps.The full race pipes have made big hp numbers on these bikes but they are real load .The pipes are low to the ground you will have to watch where you ride with them and stock shocks.A speed bump might take them and you out lol.I run the 2into1 D&D race pipes on my bike they dont set as low as the tt pipes but i scrape them now and then alittle.I dont think I would run the full race pipes everyday on the street.
I am going to get a set to bolt on to ride to bike shows to get the hd crowd lol.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
those pipes are dangerously low and unpracticle for daily street use on a bonnie with stock shocks. No speed bumps, no steep driveway approaches, def no riding over curbs etc.

I, like Mike, have the D&D 2-1 full system and it was too low with stock length shocks. I put thrux length shocks on and it has helped but the pipes are still low.

Also, like Mike said, the "street" version doesn't make any more power than most slip ons (Preds etc) and the "full race" version is so damn loud you wouldn't want to ride them daily. I heard they're much much louder than a HD with straight pipes.

If you love the look, go for it, but you'll have to fit some longer shocks or these pipes might just put you on your ass.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I, like Mike, have the D&D 2-1 full system and it was too low with stock length shocks. I put thrux length shocks on and it has helped but the pipes are still low.
Sweat...with your rims and front end mods...does your frame still sit at the same height as stock?

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
Sweat...with your rims and front end mods...does your frame still sit at the same height as stock?
doubt it, it's probably a little lower. I might have measured once upon a time but those notes are lost...

I think the forks are like 3/4" shorter than the bonnie forks, the dia of the 17" tire is smaller than the stock bonnie front tire, so it's lower but I'm not sure how much.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
sweat ever run your pipes with out the muffler? I rode mine up the road last week that thing is crazy load sounds like a drag car.makes me want to get a pipe made up to replace the muffler to rase hell with lol.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
sweat ever run your pipes with out the muffler? I rode mine up the road last week that thing is crazy load sounds like a drag car.makes me want to get a pipe made up to replace the muffler to rase hell with lol.
oh yeah, sounds good too! I thought about making a Y shaped pipe that goes out on each side of the tire from the collector.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I have run all 3 D&D set-ups - full race, street and 2 into 1. You can rule the full race out - the pipes are so large in diameter at the end they will drag in corners, speed bumps, driveways etc. I run mine at the local bike nights just to keep the Harley's in their place - VERY LOUD hardly describes it. The street is more manageable - still not real practical if it's your only bike, I like the look though. The bottom of mine (street and race) are TORE UP from corner dragging, drive way Etc - they are so low though you can't see the scrapes unless your standing on your head.

I ran the 2 into 1 and immediately sold them, the sound is not British twin at all and they do not look good to me - I just like pipes on both sides, a personal preference. The 2 into 1 can be trouble too - the guy that bought mine put them on a thrux - went over a speed bump a week later - crushed the pipe and dumped the bike. Just be careful they all reduce ground clearance. They all make killer HP too, particularly with stock and mildly modded motors.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
They all make killer HP too, particularly with stock and mildly modded motors.
I felt a big gain with the 2-1 system, especially up top, it just rips! It does sound very different than Preds (smoother, blattier, not as rumbling). I need to get on the dyno with it and quantify the gains.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
This pic makes me want to get a set and run them along the frame rails like I think they *should* have been routed....looks doable. Put a bit of a bend between the 1st and 2nd bend to kick them wider, tighten up the 2nd bend, swap the 'mufflers' right to left, cut down or rework the muffler mounting brackets as needed, and bolt them up.

Or I could just live with my stock headers & slip ons...I'm cheap like that.

Cheers,

--Rich

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
This pic makes me want to get a set and run them along the frame rails like I think they *should* have been routed....looks doable. Put a bit of a bend between the 1st and 2nd bend to kick them wider, tighten up the 2nd bend, swap the 'mufflers' right to left, cut down or rework the muffler mounting brackets as needed, and bolt them up.

--Rich
I've been thinking about that with my 2-1, which uses the similar headers as the 2-2 systems. The difference is less length on the 2-1 headers, and the collector and the one muffler vs 2 longer headers and 2 short mufflers on the 2-2 systems.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Sweat,

I really like the way the D&D headers exit the head...I just wish they'd make their full systems with a bit more focus on the street rider. The 2-into-1 pipes make oil filter access tougher and will bottom out as discussed. The TT pipes also have piss poor clearance for the street.

I'm not unhappy with their slip ons on my stock thruxton headers. Hell, the thruxton headers have better port exit geometry than most of the aftermarket pipes - I just want them to give me a reason to spend more money!! Up to now, the downside of fitting their systems have kept me with my current setup...

Cheers,

--Rich

·
Registered
866 Posts
There is a local thrux with the Full race setup, they make straight pipe Harleys seem tame. They sound bad a$$ but if there are noise nazis in your area, you will get their attention.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
Sweat,

The 2-into-1 pipes make oil filter access tougher
People that don't have these pipes always bring up this argument, and here is my response:

It takes literally less than 3 minutes to remove the exhaust, except for the headers, which is not necessary to get access to the oil drain plug and filter. You remove the muffler and collector in one piece, and reinstall it in one piece (2 separate parts). All you have to do to remove this is take off the left side passenger footpeg and loosen 2 exhaust clamps. That's it!

How often do you change the oil? Maybe 2-3 times a year? Ok, so 3 minutes times 3 times a year works out to an extra 9 minutes a year total? This is a moot point.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
People that don't have these pipes always bring up this argument, and here is my response:

It takes literally less than 3 minutes to remove the exhaust, except for the headers, which is not necessary to get access to the oil drain plug and filter. You remove the muffler and collector in one piece, and reinstall it in one piece (2 separate parts). All you have to do to remove this is take off the left side passenger footpeg and loosen 2 exhaust clamps. That's it!

How often do you change the oil? Maybe 2-3 times a year? Ok, so 3 minutes times 3 times a year works out to an extra 9 minutes a year total? This is a moot point.
They slip off under the bike . It's not too bad but it can be a pain at times . It shouldn't be held as a determining factor on buying them . The rotting out cores cheap packing could be though . However it can be replaced easily and cheap .

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
The mufflers do suck but on the 2into1 they sound better after the packing burns out some.But so far the 2into1 and 2into2 D&Dmake more hp then about anything seen yet.They are a good 5 to 10hp better then the higher $$$$ pipes out there on a built motor.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
People that don't have these pipes always bring up this argument...

...This is a moot point.
I didn't mean it as an end all...but coupled with the lack of ground clearance, it has me wanting a better solution for a 2 into 1 on my street bike. For a race bike the pipe routing is fine...but for a street bike it falls far from being perfect.

With the way michigan winters are and our state's policy of limiting over the road trucks on the basis of axle load (rather than gross tonnage), the roads here are absolutely abysmal & filled with potholes. It is a given that I would bottom out/ding up/flatten either of the under frame D&D setups in fairly short order. So, no, I didn't mean to make too much out of the oil filter interference thingy...the bigger problem is that I likely wouldn't need to worry about that since the pipes would be totalled before ever acruing enough miles to warrant an oil change!

Cheers,

--Rich

·
Registered
50 Posts
It's a matter of personal preference ;)
I've run the full race for about 10K and scraped them once on my thrux. Like Sweat said removing the pipes is a moot point, I pull them every time i put the bike on lift or change oil, no big deal. They are crazy loud and make some people unhappy, but they make me happy so it evens the karma out. Around my area theres nothing but crazy loud HD's flying around so it's not all that big of a deal.

Say what you will I don't even own a car, I commute rain or shine when i'm home. I use to have all nice yellow gear (with a yellow bike) and got about run over once a day by and elderly folk, has not happened since I installed the D&D's.

However I am thinking of removable baffles for longer trips....

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've got a few hundred miles on mine (TT street) and have yet to scrape. I can definitely tell the packing is breaking in on the mufflers, I've noticed shes gotten quite a bit louder the past couple of weeks. The closest I've come to scraping with them is pulling into the garage at work, its about a 5-6" rise over about 1 foot, I was going super slow and didnt have any weight on the bike. As close as i could tell i only had about a 1/4" under the pipes. I also live in RI which may or may not have some of the worst roads ever. I can also take the 300 year old cobble stone streets in my town no problem.

Has any one else with one of the full systems had issues with the coating flaking off? Mine started flaking off on the left side right at the first bend coming out of the head.

For got to mention that i have fitted the KYB shocks

1 - 20 of 38 Posts