Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody help? I have seen the above system on the D&D web site,but it says its for the 2000 onwards TBS.I have heard the system has been fitted on the earlier 98/99 model,has anybody done this?Unfourtunatly D&D dont have an e mail address on there site so i find out and i dont want to phone from the uk unless a must.Thanks
Mick

·
Registered
181 Posts
Can anybody help? I have seen the above system on the D&D web site,but it says its for the 2000 onwards TBS.I have heard the system has been fitted on the earlier 98/99 model,has anybody done this?Unfourtunatly D&D dont have an e mail address on there site so i find out and i dont want to phone from the uk unless a must.Thanks
Mick
I was actually looking for their website via google yesterday, and failed utterly; combo of "thunderbird", "3into3", and "D&D" resulted in a few reselling sites, and some roleplaying game links, but no homesite for D&D. What's the URL?

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Should work on all the bikes - some concerns about the mounting point on the 98 and 99 TBS, with the one-sided pipes. Might require slight creativity on the Legend and T-Bird for mounting.

Denny removed one from his TBS. Can you relate, Denny?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Adding a question which has been bugging me for some time: what's the actual deal, if you will, with mufflers?

Muffler X works with bike Y; why? Is this simply a function of pipe diameter and mounting holes? Can't be, or there wouldn't be the need for rejetting with some mufflers and not with others.

If pipe diameter is the same, will any muffler 'work', albeit with carb adjustments?

Is there any known interchangeability between a TB muffler and any other bike? Kawasakii's, which have provided so much parts-love in the past, perhaps?

·
Premium Member
3,797 Posts
The D&D Exhaust i had on my '98 TBS was made to fit the 2000, 03, 04 models. I made a different mounting Bracket.

The D&D that is made for the later model TBS extends a little further back, and hangs lower than the one they made for the 98 99 models.

They used to show a 3 into 3 specifically for the '98 - '99 models.
Maybe they would bend one up for you if you asked? One was on ebay a few weeks ago.

Bobby has the D&D's that I removed from my TBS, and he has fitted them to his '95 TBird. I gave him all of the original brackets and the one that I made for it.

I have a centerstand on my TBS, and the D&D does not really fit correctly with a centerstand. If you look at the pics of my bike in the links in my Sig, and below, you will see that when viewed from the rear the mufflers were not mounted vertically like they should be. That was because the centerstand would not allow them to line up correctly.

Aluminum is very easy to cut, bend and drill. The rear Mounting bracket supplied by D&D is made of 1/4 inch Aluminum. I made mine out of 1/8 inch Aluminum, with the thickness increased at the mounting hole where it bolts to the Footpeg bracket, so that I could use the Rubber Grommet.

The muffler I am using right now with the 3 into 1 came from a Yamaha YZF 1000. It has a 2 inch core. I had to make the mid pipe to connect it to the T-509 S3 header, which has a 1-3/4" outlet.

Link

Link

Link

I'll try to answer any other questions that you have.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I had a 3 into 3 meant for an earlier model T-bird sport mounted on my 2000 Thunderbird standard. The previous owner had already drilled a different mounting hole an inch or so below where the original one was on the D&D bracket. I went a step farther and cut off the top of the bracket that protruded past the top of the footpeg mount. When mounted, everything that had been hacked on was covered up and there was no indication that it wasn't meant for the bike.

I really liked the look of the 3 into 3 and considered buying it again, but with modification I had done (overly hacked airbox & sprint cams), I lost my low end torque and had some dead spots with the D&Ds. A 3 into 1 solved a lot of my issues.

If you get the D&Ds, I'd strongly advise against modifying your airbox.

Also, only get them if you want LOUD pipes.
Harley guys look over their shoulder in shock when they hear something so different and so much louder than their own pipes.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Harley guys look over their shoulder in shock when they hear something so different and so much louder than their own pipes.
Only if they are riding single; no way they could see around most of the heifers I have seen riding on the back:D

·
Registered
187 Posts
Wow, talk about resurrecting an old thread!

I did have a set of these on a '99 TBS. Be aware if you find a used set that they are EXTREMELY loud. Repacking the baffling doesn't help either. imho, they are too loud for me to enjoy the bike. Wearing a full face helmet made it worse.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Wow, talk about resurrecting an old thread!

I did have a set of these on a '99 TBS. Be aware if you find a used set that they are EXTREMELY loud. Repacking the baffling doesn't help either. imho, they are too loud for me to enjoy the bike. Wearing a full face helmet made it worse.
Who cares, they look awesome!

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Still in the shed

My Bee had a set on it when I brought it home. They are somewhat loud, but the bike did run great with them on. I love my current EPCO's but may go back to the D&D's for an occasional change up. I have been waiting for my ship to come in to sent them off for ceramic coating since the pipes do have some damage to the chrome from a prior leak in the rear master cylinder. Damn boat must be caught on a sandbar down stream however....

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
...send them off for ceramic
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

Please, don't do it! Those things are classically beautiful, it would be like painting over the Mona Lisa in an attempt to make her look better.

I beg you, for the love of Triumph and the gods of the 70's style, leave them in peace!!

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
AB,
Cheer up.
I have a used set in the basement that need repair before I install them.
They will be polished.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
AB,
Cheer up.
I have a used set in the basement that need repair before I install them.
They will be polished.
Good lad :doublethumb

·
Registered
844 Posts
The later TBS have the Tbird rear peg hanger. It is lower than the early TBS rear peg hanger.

I used to drag the lower headpipe on mine. Then swapped a (somewhat) quieter Yoshimura on it and put a Hagon rear shock with the correct spring. Oh, what a difference that made!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Adding a question which has been bugging me for some time: what's the actual deal, if you will, with mufflers?

Muffler X works with bike Y; why? Is this simply a function of pipe diameter and mounting holes? Can't be, or there wouldn't be the need for rejetting with some mufflers and not with others. If pipe diameter is the same, will any muffler 'work', albeit with carb adjustments?
The back pressure from the exhaust pulse has a direct influence on the intake manifold pressure so they need to be balanced (tuned). That's why if you go to a very open exhaust, you can't just rejet, you have to improve flow by drilling holes in the air box plenum.

Loud is a personal taste. I had D and D's on my carborated Sprint, and found them to be obnoxious. Rammed a t-bar through the baffles of a set of stocks, and like it much better. I have the TORs on my TBS and find them just right. Bonus is you can just tweak the idle mixture and don't need to re-jet. But that's just me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts