Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was listening to a show last night that threw this open to listeners so thought it was worth a try ..

Some I roll my eyes at are the military euphemisms like

" Collateral Damage " translation .. intelligence data was NFG lots of dead people that didnt really meet the target profile parameters ;)

"Surgical Strike " trans ...GPS tracking worked , we only took out the left side of the street :cool:

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
Side Effects

The pharmaceutical companies have their equivalents, and if anything, they're more dangerous.

Side Effects.

If a frigg'n drug changes something, that's an effect. Putting the word "side" in front doesn't make it any less of a fuggn effect.

·
Premium Member
7,462 Posts
the side bit is an anagram of "Sh*t I didn't Expect" that effect.

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
"going forward"

H

·
0 Posts
Leap of faith (trust me, I won't take advantage of you)

Out of context ( you can't believe I really meant to do?)

Product of his environment ( if you are born next to a sewage plant does that make you a tu%d?)

PC lingo is so miss used. Why can't our languages be straight forward? Call it like it is and if you bring hurt to some one's feelings take the heat. Better than miss leading folks.
Collateral damage my fanny.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
people dying is a rich area , they are LOST , TAKEN , PASSED OVER, MOVED ON , BOUGHT THE FARM , GONE TO BE WITH MUMMY , PASSED AWAY ......kids must get quite confused , its the same with terminated , taken out or removed with extreme predjudice !!! Who thinks up all these terms , whats wrong with killed and died :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
RIF (Reduction in Force) or the verb RIFFED : Laid off, mass firings.

·
Banned
4,433 Posts
When did "PC" come to mean any and all euphemisms?

For that matter, not all of these are euphemisms anyway. When you say "side effect", people know exactly what that means; possible things that might happen in addition to the intended and desired effect. And one of the reasons that English is the most important international language is its complexity and flexibility.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Mrs. Irish and I were watching a commercial for some drug the other day. I think it was an acne drug. And at the end of the commercial, in a really low voice the narrator starts going over all the side effects and at the tail end he says: "May cause suicidal thoughts or actions."

We looked at each other and said, "Really! 'suicidal actions!'" So taking this drug will not only make you think about killing yourself, but it will actually make you try to kill yourself.

Oh well... At least your corpse will have smooth unblemished skin. :D

H

·
0 Posts
When did "PC" come to mean any and all euphemisms?

For that matter, not all of these are euphemisms anyway. When you say "side effect", people know exactly what that means; possible things that might happen in addition to the intended and desired effect. And one of the reasons that English is the most important international language is its complexity and flexibility.
I agree with some of your points but side effects is a politically correct way of saying "you may have a stroke, become blind, stopped up, plugged up, suffer sexual problems and or commit suicide". Side effects just sounds so much better.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
570 Posts
self-sustaining

self-sustaining (adjective) - able to provide for your own needs without help from others;

When the City of Edmonton decided to shut down the municipal airport (not an international airport) the planning department said the plans for the land were to create a self-sustaining residential neighbourhood... What, the neighbours are all going to go out and generate their own electricity, treat their own water, plow their own streets in the winter? Just what do they mean? :confused:

I think this is one of the most overused adjectives now of days, especially when it comes to anything to do with the environment.

·
Premium Member
7,462 Posts
maybe they just meant that the residentialness would be self sustaining?

On the grounds that anyone moving out of the neighbourhood would sell their house to someone else who would move in keeping the neighbourhood going.

As oppose to devolving into slums and then abandoned derelict land.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Remeber when you were Personnel?

That was before you were a Human Resource.

Now you are Human Capital.

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
"Human Capital" As opposed to Human Resources. What, are workers cattle or some other commodity?

Oh wait, yes we are.... :(

EDIT: Mary and I are on the same wavelength here. She beat me by three minutes! :)

·
Registered
964 Posts
Political correctness in general is just a way of candy coating words that are more descriptive, truthful, or that are unpalatable to a vocal minority, usually to the detriment of the majority. A few of my "favorites":

"gay"
"Middle-Easterner"
"undocumented immigrant"
"he took his own life"
"chemically dependant"

IMO, it's quite impossible to pick up a t*rd from the "clean end"....James.

H

·
0 Posts
self-sustaining (adjective) - able to provide for your own needs without help from others;

When the City of Edmonton decided to shut down the municipal airport (not an international airport) the planning department said the plans for the land were to create a self-sustaining residential neighbourhood... What, the neighbours are all going to go out and generate their own electricity, treat their own water, plow their own streets in the winter? Just what do they mean? :confused:

I think this is one of the most overused adjectives now of day's, especially when it comes to anything to do do with the environment.
Having been in land planning in a previous life I will tell you it just means the city will get the taxes it needs from higher priced new homes to continue servicing the older blocks that don't pay as much in taxes.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts