Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Thruxton 900
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Slowly getting all the bits to rebuild my bike after the slide, but thought I was on the home stretch. Removing the damaged slip-on to put on a new pair when I noticed a chip in a header fin. Nothing major, only a tiny ding, but went to give it a scratch with a finger nail (as you do), when the bloody thing cracked off. Would write some bad words here as this bike is seriously breaking my morale.

Checked online and not many cost effective options. Finding someone skilled enough to weld to a high standard is difficult and expensive, but cheaper than another £1k to Triumph parts factory ($1.5k). I just about resigned myself to just dust balling the bike till I find a good welder, when I found a brand new cylinder head online for £300 ($420) - brilliant - but I'm keen to not throw more money into this unless absolutely necessary. I can't find any specific modern triumph walk-throughs on how to remove/replace, and all the generic classic or Jap bike tutorials take me well outside my comfort depth.

What concerns me is the engine took a solid knock, it wasn't just cosmetic as I first thought, so may be hiding more problems.. My thought is the fins look fragile if hit at an angle, in which case could the bike ride fine for a few months without replacing to a new header or would you want to strip it down and check?

Secondly is the header something that could be replaced by someone with more eagerness than knowledge - or is it something I should just pay an expert to do?.. think I already know the answer to this - just desperate not to turn it into a money pit.

Cheers for your input,
Ben

·
Registered
2018 Speedmaster
171 Posts
IMO, like Quirkymart, I would also ride it with the broken fin. The fins are more bout cooling than anything else. If you really need the look of the fin you may be able to JB Weld it in place and clamp it for a couple of days for it to set up. I would use the High Heat JB Weld and make sure not to make a mess. Once that stuff gets on something it is hard to get off. Tape up the fins around the area before you try to stick on the broken fin.

HighHeat Epoxy Putty

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I'm with Traveller and Quirky, it's cosmetic and I'd just JB Weld it back on if it is hard to look at. The fin would have caught something and tried to bend in a direction it wasn't cast to do, hence the ding and it subsequently snapping off. If you decide to reattach it you could support/overlap the underside for strength, you would know it's there but nobody else would see it. The internals will be fine. Plus it looks to be a rt side slide, a lt side drop/slide can do things to the shifter internals but you should be fine.

Reactions: AV4LON

·
Registered
2016 Thruxton 900
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, really appreciate the replies and exactly the news I was hoping to hear! I'll give the JB Weld a shot as I'm not fussy about the chip and leaving a couple other scuffs as a reminder. After all, got to remember the mistakes to learn anything.

Will post an update on here with follow up thoughts. Cheers

·
Registered
671 Posts
I've used JB Weld on several different items, it's a great product - I think it would work for you but I'm with @6t that a support needs to be in place underneath. I personally would JB Weld the support in place first at the correct height and then replace the broken fin resting on it.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I've used JB Weld on several different items, it's a great product - I think it would work for you but I'm with @6t that a support needs to be in place underneath. I personally would JB Weld the support in place first at the correct height and then replace the broken fin resting on it.
As Boy Racer says, but use the regular, NOT the JB Kwik (for whatever reason, the Kwik is great stuff, but the regular -24hr set- seems to hold up to heat better).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts