Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the shed again :D I am swapping the head because of loose exhaust stub and the valve guides have done a gazillion miles and I reckon they are passing way to much air/oil and are effecting the running especially tick over and slow running.
I am replacing it with the original head, which is unmodified, and has a small crack in it :mad: hopefully it will last a season :)
I wanted the inlet stubs out, but they do not need removing to take the head off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNq9X_R8sB0

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Nice video Plewsy. Thanks for sharing. What do you think happened to the timing side piston?

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks quagmire
As the bike has never had choke slides fitted the cable holes where blocked off... yes you guessed it a brass BA nut & bolt, "not fitted by me" It took twenty years for the nut to slacken :( when it did it dropped straight down the space in the throttle slide where the choke slide should be and got sucked straight in :eek: luckily I was just off tick over rolling in traffic when it went in, so it did not make many contacts before I MADE it stall :) What a clatter I thought I'd dropped a rod. Lucky! I was! didn't even bend a push rod,took the head off, removed the nut filed the high spots off things and then away. That was above five years ago :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
When I took my head off the push rod tubes came off with the head and seem to be stuck in the head. I noticed that yours stayed on. How do I remove them from the head? Tap the top of the tube with a wood block?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts