Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been attending the Cycle World Show in Wash. DC for the last six or seven years. It seems that each year has been a little less impressive than the one before, but this year's lackluster show was especially disappointing, even allowing for the current economic climate and the ensuing factory budget reductions. Though Triumph hasn't participated for several years now, it was well-represented by a local dealer, Clinton Cycles, which had a refreshing presence in the middle of the floor instead of being relegated to a tiny space off to the side of the show. The Show operators must've been offering square footage at fire-sale prices, evidenced by the size and location of dealer displays and the significant amount of open/unused space. A number of the regular exhibitors were missing: Aprillia, BMW, Husqvarna, Moto Guzzi, MV Agusta, and Ural. Given the state of the market, Ural and Moto-Guzzi's decisions to forgo the show didn't really surprise me, but BMW's (and with it, Husqvarna's) absence was very noticeable, along with Aprillia which I thought was launching new marketing efforts and expanding/revising it's lineup. I thought that with H-D's acquisition of MV, there would be at least a token appearance, but that wasn't the case. I don't usually pay much attention to the entertainment, but that too, was decidedly scaled back to a BMX stunt show.

I came away from the show suspecting that the only ones satisfied were the show organizers: it appeared to have been well-attended, and at 13.00 per ticket, the revenue intake must have been significant (though not as good had there been more factories participating). There was little produced by the organizers other than a series of demonstrations by various exhibitors on a center stage, so anything else was left to the show's entrants. When a show includes several Boss Hoss examples yet not a single BMW, Aprillia, etc, I consider that disappointing. OK, I'm done.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It might be surprising if the show is even back next year. The last time the show was here in Denver I walked away thinking "I could have had the same experience just by visiting a few dealers".

Nothing special about it, and quite disappointing, and definitely not worth the price of admission!

·
Registered
659 Posts
It's been gone from St. Louis for several years -- haven't missed it much.

However, the smaller vender booths are what I miss most. Still, nothing more than you'll see at a good medium to large rally in the riding season.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thats not good to hear. I was planning to go to kinda finalize my decision on my first bike. I went to the one here in MN a few years back with a friend of mine who is big into bikes. Now I am shopping for one so I hope its at least as good as it was. Nothing like a bike show in the middle of February in MN.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
It sounds like all the manufacturers that you don't normally get a chance to see in showrooms are the ones that aren't participating. Why go if all you get to see are the usual suspects? You can see them at the dealers.

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
If it were just the big 5 and a few other booths, I still might go if it were convenient and I was really hurting for any sort of motorcycle activity at all. But then again, I've only been to one show, and I'm not in the market for a new bike right now.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
The New York show opens in a couple of hours. We'll be there tomorrow and check out all the new bikes, including the unveilings a couple of manufacturers have. Triumph will be the only brand absent. Weird, especially with the new T-Bird due out later this year.

The NY show is usually packed with riders and vendors. I always manage to pick up some interesting ideas or products along the way and meet up some old friends. I'm pumped.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The New York show opens in a couple of hours. We'll be there tomorrow and check out all the new bikes, including the unveilings a couple of manufacturers have. Triumph will be the only brand absent. Weird, especially with the new T-Bird due out later this year.
The show you're referring to can't be the one sponsored by Cycle World, since Triumph hasn't participated for several years now; I think '05 was the last time the factory participated. They don't take part because their limited marketing budget (compared to the Big Four & H-D) is better spent on traveling demo fleets, and sponsored demo days, than large traveling shows. This, I was told by another show exhibitor a few years ago.

I would imagine that in NY (as in DC and elsewhere), the only Triumph presence is by way of local dealer participation, and is not a factory effort. For that reason, I wouldn't count on seeing the new Thunderbird, or any '09 models that aren't already shipping. I too, wish they were a big enough company to do it all, but they aren't, and I think they're playing it smart by prioritizing and focusing on events that cater to the truly interested (not the casual/curious) consumer.

I hope you enjoyed the show, and that it met your expectations! I'm done.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
The show you're referring to can't be the one sponsored by Cycle World, since Triumph hasn't participated for several years now; I think '05 was the last time the factory participated. ... I would imagine that in NY (as in DC and elsewhere), the only Triumph presence is by way of local dealer participation, and is not a factory effort. For that reason, I wouldn't count on seeing the new Thunderbird, or any '09 models that aren't already shipping. I too, wish they were a big enough company to do it all, but they aren't, and I think they're playing it smart by prioritizing and focusing on events that cater to the truly interested (not the casual/curious) consumer.

I hope you enjoyed the show, and that it met your expectations! I'm done.
It was indeed the Cycle World International Motorcycle Show. The only Triumph presence was a handful of guys in Triumph t-shirts. No one seemed to miss Triumph as every other brand was there in force.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was indeed the Cycle World International Motorcycle Show. The only Triumph presence was a handful of guys in Triumph t-shirts. No one seemed to miss Triumph as every other brand was there in force.
That coincides with what I was saying (ie. no Triumph factory presence), but I am surprised to hear that BMW, Husqvarna, Aprillia, Ural, Moto Guzzi, Benelli, MV Agusta, etc. were participating at the factory level: they were all missing at the DC show. Go figure...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Same's been going on with gun shows & fishing tackle shows for years.

With the gun shows, more Draconian anti gun laws are probly the culprit. Not much really interesting anymore. You can't buy a gun at a show anymore. Which is good, because as anyone can tell, that has put a serious dent in the number of guns owned by the crims...

Tackle shows... I think it's a few things. LOADS of non fishing crap taking up space, fewer "local" shops with stuff to look at, rising prices on admission, parking, whatever. $7 for a beer.:eek: C'mon. I don't even drink anymore and "I'm" offended!

We have a local show called "Day at the Docks." It's put on by the local sportfishing landings. IMO it's the real deal. It's the people that make the event. Lots of us in San Diego have forgone the "BIG" annual shows & now just go to [email protected]

With bike shows...really. What's really new? A Ninja that goes 185 MPH instead of 183? Earth shaking.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I visited the NYC cycle world show this past weekend. Of course no Triumph, but a big surprise was that SUZUKI wasn't there.
BMW, Guzzi, Aprilia, were all there, as well as a pretty big Korean/Chinese contingent.

As stated earlier, nothing new or exciting, and it seems like the vendor area was pretty small as well.
Shocking also that the best looking "models" at the show were the girls handing out the Progressive insurance bags at the entrance.

Oh well

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well I went to the show in Minneapolis yesterday. For me it was a great chance to sit on a variety of bikes under one roof but then again I am planning on buying one. If you were not looking at purchasing a new one this year it might have been a bit of a disappointment. The vendors area was rather small.

I guess the interesting thing is that Suzuki was there but Aprilla, BMW and MotoGuzi were not. There was a local dealer there with a few Triumphs which gave me a chance to compare them all.

The best part of the show was when I was looking at the Buell bikes. I asked someone where the XB9Rs were and one of the reps pointed it out. I went over had a seat on it, another rep came over and said exactly what was going through my head. " Your a little too tall for that bike." It was just nice to hear a straight answer like that for a change.

As a whole it was worth the 10 dollar admission.

·
29,948 Posts
Yeah I thought it was OK, I went today. Attendance looked down a bit. I was disappointed that Triumph did not have a fully fleged stand, but kudos to Sport Rider of Wisconsin for providing some bikes.

I picked up a camera mount system for my bike, pretty happy about that! :D

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yeah I thought it was OK, I went today. Attendance looked down a bit. I was disappointed that Triumph did not have a fully fleged stand, but kudos to Sport Rider of Wisconsin for providing some bikes.

I picked up a camera mount system for my bike, pretty happy about that! :D
I would say Fridays attendance was higher then the last one I went to.Well it was Valentines day. I wanted to talk to one of the guys at the Sport Riders of Wisconsin stand but they were all so busy. The Street Triple was getting a lot of attention. I just wanted to see how it would work buying a bike across the border and get a comparison on price since I have on on hold down at Motoprimo.

Hope your camera mount works for ya. I have a broken digital camera that is just waiting for a bike for me to make a mount for it.

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Personally I am okay with Triumph not being in a show. I can go to my dealer to see a new Triumph. I actually like that there are less Triumphs then HD or some of the other dealers. It makes my bike a little more unique. I am not interested in having twenty other people around me with the same bike. :cool:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts