Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i own a '05 bonneville (790cc carb) with datatool alarm.no modifications.it began september when went to work with the bike and on the way back cruising at about 75km/h the bike turned off.
i had power ,the starter worked but it would not start.
spoke on the phone with a friend to arrange a pick up so for 4-5 min it was off.... tried again and started normally.
went home as if nothing happened.
thats the case from then.the bike will shut off and after some "rest" it will work fine.i had the pick up coil replaced but the problem remains.had it to my mechanic for two weeks and he drove it a while but nothing.when it cuts off its immediate.happened again today and i had a spare spark plug with me.took the spark plug socket out plugged the spare attached it to the engine block and crank the starter.no spark.so it must be electrical for sure.after a while it started normally.anyone with the same thing out there?

nasos ([email protected])
Athens,Greece

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply....

since the pick up coil was replaced...i'm guessing you are refering to the HT coil?
i had thoughts about something to get hot and cuts off ...but
2 days ago i took it out for a ride and stopped to a bank turned the bike off got some money and then drove off to a gas station for tire air check where again i turned it off. i left the gas station and after half a mile it shutted down. i spoke with my mechanic and when it turned back on (about 5-10 min) i drove there assuming once again that it will shut off again but nothing....i got there and let it idle... nada....i went back home (20-25 min drive) with no problem...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the same issue, my mechanic ended up having to let the bike run on his bench till it died then found no resistance in the pickup coil, after it sat for a few minutes the voltage was there but inconsistent. Once the pickup coil was replaced all was well.

·
29,948 Posts
Yes I was referring to HT coil, they can do a similar thing to the pick coil that was just described. An ohm meter may not find the fault, as coils can break down at high voltage differently to low voltage. This can be intermittent, and not necessarily caused by heat.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi, You may want to look at the threads titled "ignition pick up sensor". I noted that most of the failures were on relatively low mileage bikes and no one had a second failure.

You may win the prize! I would be very curious to know if you had a replacement that also has failed (or is failing)

Good luck, Paul

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...so...i installed a nology HT coil since the pick up coil was already changed without resolving the problem...the bike started as usual and i went for a small ride.... it died after about 10' and didn't start again... i towed it to my mechanic and left it there...for 2 days there was no power...then it started as if nothing happened but after working a bit it would turn off...
the outcome is that when you "touch" the ignition control unit it will stop working or it will start working...so i'm for a new ignition control unit ($$$)... and pissed out of my mind....

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had similar problems with my 05 T100 ,which went away when I replaced the igniter. Fortunately I found a used one for 100 bucks. Maybe you could run an ad or something and locate one.

·
Registered
399 Posts
hi, i own a '05 bonneville (790cc carb) with datatool alarm.no modifications.it began september when went to work with the bike and on the way back cruising at about 75km/h the bike turned off.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but it came up high in the Google search results so I wanted to put my experience in there.

I have had similar symptoms. Sometimes I would ride my motorcycle 65 miles per hour down the highway and it would just DIE like someone hit the kill switch. No stuttering or anything.

Usually after a period of rest it would restart.

When it first started I could go like 30 miles or so before it would die. Then I couldn't even get 100 yards down the street from my driveway. By the time the Triumph dealership got around to picking it up, it wouldn't even start anymore.

"No spark" was the initial finding from the shop technician. After some more troubleshooting they narrowed it down to the Ignition Control Unit (sometimes called the ECM or ECU as well).

Triumph North America approved the request to cover this under warranty on my 2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 865cc with about 6,000 miles on the odometer. The only modification to this bike was aftermarket silencers. It even still had the air injection system intact.

I'm still waiting to get the bike back to know for sure if it's actually fixed or not by replacing the ICU.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I've had my T100 back long enough now to put a few hundred miles on it and it has been running 100%. The service manager said this is not the first Triumph he's seen with a failed ICU. Although my bike is outside of its warranty period, Triumph North America agreed to pick up the full bill on the repair and the repair parts & labor are now covered for another year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts