Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of you have had a custom paint job..I have a couple of questions.
1. Did you take the parts off and take them to the painter?
2. If you did was the gas tank difficult?
3. What are some good things to look for in the place painting the parts?
4. Genrally how much did it cost.
I am thinking about having it done. thank you Lee

·
Registered
121 Posts
I can't answer any of your questions but I have a suggestion, have your tank seam filled. That will make the tank look alot better, very clean look.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
1.Yes, but I needed help to distmantle the bike.
2. No. The guards are actually a bit more tedious
3. Not sure I understand. If I do undestand, I could suggest carbon parts (front guard, fork gaiters, bearclaw, radiator sides...)
4. USD 2400.- all included, for a Jaguar Racing Green (metallic) finish over ALL the original Cardinal Red paint (without ANY stripes, flames, etc....)

2-cents worth:

5. Order the badges on the tank and side covers ahead of time. They can hardly be re-used. The 4 pieces will net you about 100 dollars (included in my "all included" bill mentioned above). A new rubber gasket around the rear light might also be required.
6. Let the new finish settle for at least a week (regardless of what the paint shop might tell you) and refrain from waxing it (particularly with "hi-tech" polymer or other petroleum-based creams) for another couple of weeks or so.

Good luck. Jamie :wink:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I powder coated mine. The finish is awsome and looks like a very light gray metalic or pearl white. Cost me $500 and like it way better than the stock two tone it was !
Dennis

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'd like to see some pictures of the powder coating job. Saw a bike show on Speed Channel where they did powder, looked real good. Also, did you have a clear coat put over the powder?

·
Registered
114 Posts
don't know why but i never thought of powder coating.. if you wanted to add another color or designs you could pc then get a decal company to make add ons and then clear coat...hhmmmm
good idea dennis
lots cheaper than paint and pc is a very smooth, even finish.

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well some of my questions were answered, but now I have to think about powered coating and decal and clear coating. Thank you everyone I appreciate your advice. I will let you know what I decide on. Take care Lee

1 - 7 of 7 Posts