Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lords & ladies of the Bonnevillian realm... below are pIcs of late stage prototypes of the lay-flat stock gauge bracket - not the best images, and the bulky hex fasteners will be replaced by socket head cap screws in production, but here it is anyway...

Speaking of which... small initial production run planned in the next few weeks - then possibly some further tweaking & tuning if need be - email me if interested in wearing an early model - black or natural aluminum - no firm pricing set as of yet...

Accomplished a couple of things I set out to do - get the stock gauges dramatically lower, with
about 1/8" clearance from top of inner gauge cover acorn nuts to upper back of headlight - get everything parallel to the angle of the forks/triple clamp - visually minimize the entire stock gauge
assembly - use stock indicators - be able to see some headlight as you
view the gauges sitting on the bike - get it all as close to plug & play as possible - and at the very least, somehow honor the design aesthetic of the bike...

One small, easy mod is necessary - the molded black plastic cover underneath the indicator lights (the indicator housing, in other words) needs the main wiring slot elongated - or - a hole needs
to be drilled in the center of the housing and the indicator lights fed through the hole prior to installation - will post a DIY soon...

Not sure yet if this bracket will work well on a Thruxton or not - should be at the local Triumph shop in the next couple of weeks to try to get that answered...

Mini-gauge brackets are continuing to evolve nicely as well, should have some pics up soon...

Cheers,

D9

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
ha, I wish it would. I'm going to have to get a new speedo, I'm thinking about this one:

Digital Speedo

It's pretty small, and uses a magnet and sensor like a bicycle does, it also has all the idiot lights and more! I'll stick with the stock tach for now but I may go to one of the smaller ones just to keep it balanced. Still need to figure out how to mount etc. I don't have my SV front end yet...should arrive tomorrow!

[ This message was edited by: sweatmachine on 2007-02-21 00:11 ]

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mancha - thanks - it's a track Thrux in the back of the shop - they're pretty relaxed about letting me get in close proximity to it - as long as I've left
the dremel at home...

BTW, the excellent custom Thrux bracket you did awhile back definitely helped to inspire the creation of this one...

Cheers,

D9

[ This message was edited by: D9 on 2007-02-21 10:39 ]

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
BTW, the excellent custom Thrux bracket you did awhile back definitely helped to inspire the creation of this one...
Thanks. If I had it to do again, I'd probably work the ignition into the space between and under the guages, and put the idiot lights in individual sleeves around the guages themselves, almost like ears on the guages.

·
Registered
41 Posts
would it be possible to make a over/under style mount for the stock gauges similar to what the scrambler has?

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Egon,

Thanks for posting - scrambler gauges... hmmm

First reaction is that it'd be easier to adapt the whole setup from
the scrambler including handlebar clamps... dunno... not a great fan of the scrambler gauges, but there's something to be studied/learned about all kinds of gauge setups out there... the indicator lights on either side of the speedo are interesting...

Food for thought...

Cheers,

D9

·
Registered
11,050 Posts
Your bracket looks great, D9.

That Scrambler tacho is almost as ugly as a speedo on the gas tank. I like to have a tacho, but I had no idea that one is that awful. :eek:

[ This message was edited by: Baltobonneville on 2007-02-22 07:58 ]

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Balto,

Thanks, appreciate the comment -

Not to go off on a tangent, re the scrambler gauges...

As someone who's long wandered the realms of graphic & industrial
design - often with little to show for it other than a head full of possibilities and a general state of confusion :-D - I'm compelled to ask... or I'd like to have a conversation with whoever designed the scrambler bracket - why did they do it that way? What were the main concerns, what were the main influences ...from the engineering,
aesthetic, & historical vantage points? What did the designer set out
to do, and did any or all aspects of the final product succeed....? What would they go back and change now, if they could change anything... or
everything?

As ever, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

Cheers,

D9

[ This message was edited by: D9 on 2007-02-22 08:59 ]

·
Registered
778 Posts
Awesome job!

I kid you not, just yesterday I was wondering....what is D9 up to? Do you happen to have before pics of the stock set up we could compare side by side? Again great job! :clap:

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Matt-

Thanks, appreciate the comment, and apologies for
the late-night-dark-garage-funky pics... have not yet done
a side by side comparison - definitely need to... probably
this weekend should have some better pics up...

Did you ever mount your bracket???
Pics - pics I say, back at you!

Also I should mention... the second generation of mini-brackets should be
coming out in the next couple of months - these will allow
speedos with upper left resettable trip odo (aka MikesXS) to
seat fully down in the bracket - yay! - and does it ever
look good.

What can I say - Terry Whitehurst's pics of his fully seated
gauges on his Thrux changed everything and sent me back to the
drawing board... ah, serendipity...

:-D

Cheers,

D9

·
Registered
41 Posts
On 2007-02-21 20:43, D9 wrote:
Egon,

Thanks for posting - scrambler gauges... hmmm

First reaction is that it'd be easier to adapt the whole setup from
the scrambler including handlebar clamps... dunno... not a great fan of the scrambler gauges, but there's something to be studied/learned about all kinds of gauge setups out there... the indicator lights on either side of the speedo are interesting...

Food for thought...

Cheers,

D9
I had looked into changing the top clamp, but the scrambler bars are 7/8" so I dont think it would work out. I could have the top clamp ground flat to be able to accept a bracket like that.
After looking at my bike yesterday I think the bars are too close to the tank for that set up to work.

[ This message was edited by: egon on 2007-02-22 12:21 ]

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Awesome work, D9. Awesome...

Of course, I HAVE to have one of these fancy tach/speedo brackets for my Bonnie!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts