Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was browsing on the internet one day trying to see if anyone did custom exhausts for Triumph Bonnevilles. I would prefer not to spend $500+ on an exhaust (even though I really like Predators) but the "sewing machine" like sound of stock pipes is starting to get old. I came across the following site:

http://www.foranexhausts.com.au/

It seems to be pretty high quality stuff, but it is not any cheaper than what the Predators would be. Has anyone tried these pipes out? If so, how do they compare to other products out there?

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Tempted by the cocktail shakers just for fun. Once you get those elbows you can fit a ton of cans on the Bonnie.

·
Registered
2018 Bonneville T120
49 Posts
Check out Specialty Spares for Triumph exhaust sytems

I did the same search for after market pipes last spring when I bought my Bonnie and really glad I found Dale at www.specialtyspares.com in WA. Go to his site and click under Bonneville/Thruxton (he also does Speedmaster/Americas). I bought his whole system - hand made and well made - powder coated so you don't get much blueing unlike stock pipes. Note they are also kinkless so nice straight lines like the old Bonnies! He makes pea shooter style but also the Dunstall replica megaphones which is what I bought. Comes as a kit with Used to have same type on my Norton Commando. Great British growl. Loud but you can access the baffles and wrap them up with some more muffler packing to quiet them down a bit if you want. My shop had no problems installing them. And the good news? - He is overstocked on the Dunstall type and has discounted them to $395 which is a steal - they were almost $200 more than that when I bought them last year and they were well worth it at that price. I also found Dale to be excellent, helpful and fair to deal with. Always got back to me when I had questions.

I found this great post last spring from NewOldSkool (thank you) with You Tube videos and audio of several different types of after market pipes for Bonnies out there. The Dunstall's won hands down to my ears.
http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/70062-exhaust.html

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2018 Bonneville T120
49 Posts
See more pics of the SS Dunstalls on my bike

Forgot to mention in last post - if you want to see more photos of the Specialty Spares Dunstalls on my Bonnie go to the Bonneville Pics Thread under Hinkley Twin Talk and go to page 50 - just posted

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree with "choosetheblues". I purchased the whole peashooter system from Specialty Spares, and love 'em. Dale is a great guy, and very knowledgeable. It's a pretty loud system with that 60's style roadster sound. :) They cost a bit more than the average exhaust, however, you get the kinkless headers as well, which can be ceramic coated on the inside, limiting the bluing to simply a very light gold near the head, if that. If you go to the website, my bike is on the front page.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Pipes

Bella Course makes a kit form of the Emgo reverse cones incl jets etc.. for $149. I put them on 2 days ago- simple plug & play! They can be bit loud or pack em & they mellow rite out. They are not the heaviest built, but I am trying to rid weight on the ole girl! I love em!! They look really nice. For that $$ , how can ya go wrong? Can make em strait or tilt them up - like on a Thrux. The next step up will take ya in the $3-600 range. That was a bit much for me w/ this economy!! So I am a happy camper now & a few xtra $$ for some other goodies!

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I just removed the rear baffles and then punched out the next two plates with long screwdriver. Then I slid a rebar through the inside 1' diameter pipe and punched out through the front baffle plate. I looked in and I coud see daylight so I figured that must be good.
:)

here is a graphic depiction of the rebar;

·
Registered
77 Posts
Baflectomy

Did you rejet? What about doing it in stages until just the right sound for your ear comes out the pipes. Is the stock Speedmaster can similar in structure. Is this a "don't try this at home" mod if not familiar with the dymamics of exhaust?

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Sal,
That is so close to the Tors in sound. Maybe Triumph has someone punching out stockers at the factory. :)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Anybody out there in Bonneland that can give me their opinion of the Dominator Touring silencers? There is an 18 sec. soundclip on the "exhaust" thread, & I did find one other very short clip on Youtube, but neither are very good. Any feedback (good, bad, or otherwise) would be appreciated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sweet Mod Sal. I gave my Scrammie the standard baflectomy last night, and was just considering punching out the rest of the bulkheads in the stock cans. Right on. That's a good sound for the stock pipes.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
preds are super quality polished 304 stainless can float in a river for years without rust, thats what you pay for, i love mine!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts