Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm baaaaaaaaack...

Just wondering if anyone has done this.. I have found several sources for aluminum tanks (there are some links below) but none of them are for our bikes. I want to do this. Badly.

LINKS;

http://www.tabclassics.com/index.php

http://www.roccitycafe.com/store.php

As you may have guessed, I'm embarking on a pretty epic build of my '95 Thunderbird, which will begin in earnest in early January, and begin in partial in November (mostly dis-assembly).

However, I'm trying to figure out paint scheme etc.. and well.. I'm just thinking an alloy tank (kinda long, not very wide, maybe flat top). Anyway, I've been in touch with some of these folks in talking about building me a tank ($$$$$) or maybe modifying one that exists to my measurements ($$$)..

Later gents!

Jim

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice, ok.. but I see nobody has done it.. yet. Those guys at The Tank Shop don't even have a freaking email address. That's the only way I am able to communicate!

haha

Thx!

Jim

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Hi Jim,

There may be a few things to think about with an alternative fuel tank for our Thunderbirds. The tank overall looks large and wide, giving a "good capacity", and thus alot of scope for an aftermarket craftsman:-

However, to allow for the various things around the backbone of the frame it is dramatically hollowed out, giving only 15 litres of fuel capacity. I suspect it is this needed hollowed out area that has reduced the potential for an aftermarket tank?

Geoff

Attachments

·
Registered
629 Posts
Hey Geoff, was that red tank painted by someone? I'm curious about how the filler neck got treated. I recently had mine painted and they completely disregarded sealing the filler neck and all the paint is already peeling away inside it.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
.....was that red tank painted by someone? .....
Hi,

It is all original as produced by Triumph. I picked up the NOS tank in its original Triumph packaging some time ago, as a spare. (Fyi, a dealer was reducing his stock). It is the Cherry Red colour offered on the '95 Thunderbird (although my machine's tank also has the extra Cream flashes, which was also offered that year).

Geoff

ps. I suspect the filler neck just has the base coat(s) applied?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Yeah the filler hole definitely wasn't sealed on mine. Pretty disappointed. I'm trying to think of a way to seal the filler neck without having to paint the tank again

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Geoff, as usual, thank you so much for this. I was thinking of a couple of things here;

1) Relocation of the overflow tank for the coolant, which would provide more room. However, I need to get my tank off to inspect it and see how / where I could do this.

2) The new tank, I think, will be longer (I'll likely shorten my seat), either the stock one or the Corbin Gunfighter I also have. So with that I can get some more capacity. I want to flatten the sides, and the top (I really want a Norton style "flat top" tank)..

If I lose a little capacity, it's ok.. sometimes it's better to look good than to have enough gas.. isnt' that how the old saying goes? hahahaha

Jim

·
Registered
980 Posts
When I changed my 1200 Trophy to a Thunderbird, the 1200 expansion tank was under the seat and I relocated it to under the tank. So it should not be a problem to fit a Trophy expansion tank under the seat for the Thunderbird.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts