Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While my T140E primary is apart I'd like to change or at least inspect the clutch cush drive rubbers. The screws on the access cover appear to be an alloy material with a slot that is too wide for a standard screwdriver. Before I bugger them up I thought I'd ask for some advise on removal. One of them is already damaged from the PO.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
They are not screw tips, they are bolts that have been splayed to lock them into position. Access for dismantling is gained once you have the hub off/removed and can see the bolt heads from the rear.
You need to use a small cold chisel [actually I use an engineers screwdriver, the one with metal right through the handle] and then wack the splayed ends at the red arrow's to remove/reduce the splay. Then I flip the hub over and start undoing the bolts.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah I see now. I still had the clutch center attached to the basket and couldn't see the bolt heads. Thanks

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Hi eo1bart, I've had many of these covers off. It is imperative you fully grind the swaging off end of bolts. If you do not it will destroy the threads in cover as you remove bolt.

I use cut off wheel on Dremel to cut the ends.

Often if buy new bolts from suppliers they will be a little to short. I recommend buying 1/4-28 bolts from hardware store if possible. Screw them in & cut to length as needed for perfect length. Then peen the end to prevent backing out.

Don

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
100% what Don advises - if you dont grind the ends off the bolts ,the threads in the plate will be destroyed as you unscrew the bolt (been there done that !) -- and yes the normally supplied bolts are too short to peen over ( and longer bolts are cheaper from a fixings supplier )

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great! thanks guys that was going to be my next question regarding the bolts. I can pick up 1/4 x 28 bolts just up the street at the hardware store.
Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts