Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wondering about the tank on my 71 bonnie. I think it is a 4.8 gal. tank. I know that I poured nearly five gallons of soda water into it while using the reverse electrollices to get out the light rust that was in it. I have seen a few remarks about the bonneville having a 2.5 gal tank and I am now thinking that my tank is from a different year model. Another thing is that there are no badge mounting holes in the tank and the tank appears smooth as if it never had mounting holes. Either that or its one of the best bondo jobs I've ever seen. I have some pictures of it in an album here that you may be able to access so you can have a look. I do not currently understand how to post pictures yet so that is the best I can do.
Any ideas ???
thanks Bruce57

·
Registered
225 Posts
I am assuming you have the early "breadbin" tank. Does it have the raised rib down the center? The earliest "breadbin" tanks did not come with screw on badges but Triumph decals. There were 3 different "slimline" tanks for the oif bikes. The early ones (1971-72) have the raised rib but are wider than the traditional "slimline" tanks and hold about 3.5 gallons. In 1973 Triumph came out with proper 2.5 gallon "slimline" tanks with no raised rib.

Here's an early breadbin tank with the seam (the rack was not an option, someone added it). This is the 2nd version of this tank with the screw on badges:

Here's the 73 on 2.5 gallon slimline tank:

Scott

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
triumpt120rv I have been tring to figure out how to post pictures from that same post for two days now &^$^%$&**&. Getting new things threw my thick skull can be a little like tring to drive a 16 penny nail through a three foot cement wall sometimes. It can be done but takes a serious amount of effort. I did go into gallery I think and found that I could post from below the picture but when I tried my post just dissapeared into ciberspace I guess. Did not see a way to direct it to the area I wanted it to go. I will figure it out soon though( i hope).
Rookster-- that is sure a purdy bike, makes me smile to look at it. Hope mine looks half as good by spring. As far as my tank, it does have the rib down the middle. I know it holds over 4 gal. but is not the same shape as the one with the rack in your pictures. Guess I''ll get some Triumph decals and put them on my tank, it's not nearly as nice as the badges but will have to do because I do not plan on buying another tank.
thanks, Bruce57

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
triumpt120rv I have been tring to figure out how to post pictures from that same post for two days now &^$^%$&**&.

Do this:

1. Go to your album.
2. Click on the photo you want to post.
3. Scroll down underneath the photo and see "URL" address.
4. Copy that address.
5. Go to this thread.
6. Click "Submit Reply"
7. Click the picture Icon above the typing message box. It is a small square icon, yellow, with a graphic of a mountain and the sun.
8. A box will open up. Paste the URL of your photo in the space.
9. Press okay.
10. Click "Preview Post" to make sure everything is good.
11. Press "Submit Reply".

·
Registered
72 Posts
The tank on my '71 bonnie. is about 19' long, on the center line, and 12-1/2" wide. It has the ridge along the center and screw on badges. I'm 100% sure it's original. If you take a flashlight and look inside through the filler hole you should be able to see the threaded inserts for the badges. If the tank hasn't been damaged in the past, ( and fixed up ) you might be able to clean them out and re-use them.

Alan.

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
If the tank hasn't been damaged in the past, ( and fixed up ) you might be able to clean them out and re-use them.

If you don't want to hunt for the threads you can also silicone the badges on. I've siliconed the badges on my last tank and on my current tank. Badges stay on solid, no problem. You wouldn't know they weren't screwed in. If you need to take the badges off for whatever reason, you can pry them off and your paint job is not affected.

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
darn it-- dohhh
You are pasting your URL with the existing "HTTP://" You need to paste only this : http//www.triumphrat.net/members/albums/86267-bruce57/just-for-referance-2225-picture6837-triumph-with-tank-and-seat-005.jpg.

Get rid of the first HTTP:// at the beginning of that string of your picture URL. Right now it is reading :
Http:// http//www.triumphrat.net/members/albums/86267-bruce57/just-for-referance-2225-picture6837-triumph-with-tank-and-seat-005.jpg.

Delete the first Http://(the one I coloured red for you to see) and your picture will show up.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
triumpt120rv-- Did you just use plain ol clear silicone on the badges ?? I thought of that as well but I did not think it would hold up to the vibration. The tank looks so plain without the badges that I may be tring that soon.
H H -- I did look inside the tank a couple of times and did not see any mounting hardware or knots of unknown origin. I will charge up my best flashlight and look one more time before I make any other plans.
Thanks Bruce57

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
triumpt120rv-- Did you just use plain ol clear silicone on the badges ?? I thought of that as well but I did not think it would hold up to the vibration.
Use clear silicone adhesive from an auto supply not the bathroom stuff. Before you apply a bead of silicone to the badges, mark on the tank where the badge will go. Then use black electrical tape to support the badge when you press it against the tank. Allow 24 hours to dry. The silicone remains flexible so vibration is not an issue. If the badges are loose that means you didn't do it right. Make sure the painted surface is clean before you apply. It might get messy when you are applying but don't worry, the silicone will rub off when it dries.

I used this stuff: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...r+RTV+Silicone+Adhesive+Sealant.jsp?locale=en

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Success at last-- thanks triumpt120rv, I might have been more than just a little while figuering that out. If your wondering, that's my current workshop but at least it keeps me out of the gravel.
Bruce57

·
Registered
225 Posts
OK, you have the larger "slimline" tank from 71-72. There are absolutely threads under the paint but they have been filled in. All the "slimline" oif tanks came with screw on badges. Thanks for the kind words about my T140E.

Scott

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Now you guys really got me wondering about the mounting holes in this tank. I am going to pull the tank tomorrow and get as good a look as I can inside. I have already looked but did not really think there was any and may have overlooked them. If they are there, that's got to be one of the best bondo jobs I have ever seen, not even a hint of putty.

·
Premium Member
9,886 Posts
the holes are pretty small, so easy to fill. And a pig to find.

Think it's a 2BA thread (Mr Pete posted the size on another thread where someone had a stripped hole)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sure enough there they were !!! Funny how much difference a good flashlight makes. I can see the back of the mounts inside the tank but now I have to make up my mind what to do about the badges. When I think about screwing with the paint on the tank to uncover the holes I want to just glue the badges on.You know, I think that I'm going to go with silicone for now and when and if I re-paint the tank then that would be the best time to re-work the mounting holes. It's nice to have options that won't break the bank.
This bike will look much much better with badges instead of Triumh decals on the tank.
Thanks to you guys who got me to re-check that tank and to those who let me know it's ok to silicone the badges on if necesary.
Thanks, I'll be back with more stupid questions later

Bruce57

1 - 20 of 25 Posts