Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today is the Marine Corps Birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ALL OF MY JARHEAD GRUNT FRIENDS.

Happy Veterans Day to all of the Greatest People on this green Earth. The CSM Salutes you one and all. This is to Salute to Comrads Missing, but not forgotten.

For those that have never fought for it, Freedom is a taste the protected will never know.

God Bless all of you Veterans out there, especially you Infantry Types. You Infantry Grunts are the best bunch of :censored: out there. :beerchug: I hope this note finds all of you Motorcycle freaks well and God bless you and your familes for the Christmas season.
Its is five (5) months and counting. I am not short just yet, but getting close. This cluster **** started in Agust or September of 2007, I for got now, but is getting close.

Keep it sunny side up.

CSM Spyder9er4

gear head at large, all things mechanical

Respectively Yours
Steve

·
Registered
164 Posts
back at you, one day late.

Jack
3d LAR, 29 Palms
1991-1994

·
Registered
709 Posts
Best (belated) Birthday respects to the United States Marine Corps. The Few, the Proud, the Finest.

I understand it started in a tavern. The first recruiting SGT signed up the first recruit, and bought him a glass of rum. He was signing up the second recruit when he realised that this could get expensive, so he bought that guy a beer. Second guy sits down at the table with the first guy, who asks, "What do you have there?"
Second guy sez,"SGT bought me a beer for enlisting." First recruit sez, "Hell, in the Old Corps, we got rum!"
Redhawk
Former SGT- 199th Light Infantry Bde '68-'69

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Best (belated) Birthday respects to the United States Marine Corps. The Few, the Proud, the Finest.

I understand it started in a tavern. The first recruiting SGT signed up the first recruit, and bought him a glass of rum. He was signing up the second recruit when he realised that this could get expensive, so he bought that guy a beer. Second guy sits down at the table with the first guy, who asks, "What do you have there?"
Second guy sez,"SGT bought me a beer for enlisting." First recruit sez, "Hell, in the Old Corps, we got rum!"
Redhawk
Former SGT- 199th Light Infantry Bde '68-'69
Redhawk34,(is readhawk34 your call sign?) that is a good Jar Head joke. I must tell my Mother In-Law that one. She is a WWII pilot flight instructor,(86 years old) who did her Boot Camp in Camp Legune.
My Dad (US Navy WWII South Pacific, Carrier Intrepid, said the only reason the Navy had Marines on board ship was to give sailors someone to dance with. :laughhard: She still does not have a sence of humor like most Marines.

Funny you were with the 199 LIB (the dollar 99)(I Corp), I was in the 198 LIB AMCL DIV 23rd Infantry 1st Btln 6th Inf Rgt. Worked as an 11F20 Sgt on recon to Laos and Cambo Land, off LZ Siberia. Small world we MotorCycle Freaks come from.

Well guys, my five(5) day stand down are about over. Must go to work. The weather is about to change to cold and snow. my 5.56mm is clean (M4), all things here are good. It is all good.

Respectively Yours,
Steve
CSM Spyder

Gear head at large and all things mechanical

·
Registered
709 Posts
CSM,
Yeah, that was one of my callsigns, the lucky one. Nobody got hurt. Then they changed it to "Revolve Zebra 23" and I lost a bunch of people.
I was a REMF. Commanded an Infantry boat, so I was about 30 feet behind the Grunts.
Aren't you getting just a bit, ahhh, senior for this kind of ****? It's been a long time since I was out beyond the sidewalks and streetlights. Still miss it.
You keep your head and butt down, y'hear?
And, thanks.
Redhawk 34

·
Registered
709 Posts
Three guys were waiting at the pad for a flight. The Squid says," Here comes the Helo." The Grunt says, "You mean here comes the Chopper." The Jarhead points upward and grunts twice.
Redhawk

·
Registered
709 Posts
CSM, Just re-read your post, and 1/6th Infantry rang a couple bells. Didn't Norman Schwartzkopf command that Bn in '69?
Also, in 1942, my Dad's ship, HMS "Princess Beatrix", carried the command elements of the 1st Bn, 6th (armored) Infantry Regt. into North Africa during the "Torch" invasion.
Re: my "Senior" crack, you have to remember that in '68, I was 22, and was called "Pop." Our CSM was 46, and widely believed to have served under Joshua at Jericho. The Bn CDR was 37, next oldest in the Bn (5/12 Inf 199th LIB) was 26.
Redhawk

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CSM, Just re-read your post, and 1/6th Infantry rang a couple bells. Didn't Norman Schwartzkopf command that Bn in '69?
Also, in 1942, my Dad's ship, HMS "Princess Beatrix", carried the command elements of the 1st Bn, 6th (armored) Infantry Regt. into North Africa during the "Torch" invasion.
Re: my "Senior" crack, you have to remember that in '68, I was 22, and was called "Pop." Our CSM was 46, and widely believed to have served under Joshua at Jericho. The Bn CDR was 37, next oldest in the Bn (5/12 Inf 199th LIB) was 26.
Redhawk
Redhawk34-Redhawk34--This is Spyder9er4 Spyder9er4--Do you copy do you copy- ova
(break squelch). The LZ is hot-repeat the LZ is hot-Do you copy-ova. Send SNAKE and NAPE-REPEAT Snake and nape-Do you copy-ova.

All things aside, LTC Norman Schwartzkopf (German for black head) was the BN Commander in late 1969. He took over in September if my recolection is good to go. I only met him a half dozen times, usually through ISG BOYD(brown Booter) or CSM Capers(brown Booter). These two beloved Senior Non Com's served with Alexander the Great. These Two(2) were in the their mid 50s at this time. I personally was 20 years of age in May of 1968. I am just two royal Elephant "C" hairs younger than you.
The age crack is too cool. I turned 60 in May this year in Bum***ked Afganland. This is not my first overseas assignment by far.

I want to sencerely thank everyone at the RAT NET for allowing me to be part of this great group of guys and gals. This is not to mention,you all listening to a raving "looney tune" banter about "gears and all things mechanical".

Sorry about the typing skills, doing this with one(1)hand. Left wrist is a little stove up.

Respectively Yours

Steve, gearhead at large-all things mechanical. :beerchug: :elated: :beerchug:

·
Registered
709 Posts
Guys, sorry for straying a bit from the Caff Racer topic for a while, but the above represents a matter of Honor.
For those who haven't had the pleasure, a CSM is the Battalion Command Sergeant Major, who sitteth on the right hand of God. The senior NCO in the Bn, he commands NOTHING. He doesn't have to, his influence pervades every inch of the unit. He is always the oldest Soldier, The Bn CDR seeks his advice, Company CDRs defer to him, and LTs crap their pants in his presence. He IS the Battalion.
In the 5/12 Inf, our CSM was diagnosed with lung cancer after his third tour, had half a lung removed, and talked his way back to 'Nam and to the Brigade. CSM Jesse knew how desperately short of senior NCOs we were. He died of a heart attack, in the field, where he obviously shouldn't have been. He's on the Wall, as he should be. (10/4/69 panel 17W)
CSM spyder won't get a chance to ride today, so we'll just have to keep the asphalt warm for him until he gets back.
Redhawk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts