Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Spring GT 1050 SE 2015
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Went out yesterday on my 2015 Sprint and all was well however it was a very hot day and on getting back I just thought that i would give it a clean. I didn't notice any issues however, when I went out to fiddle today the tank looked crushed on one side. I opened the fuel cap and there was a huge whoosh as the cap was opened I.e. a vacuum inside. I am guessing there may be an issue with the vent tube/valve but has anyone seen a tank deform due to a vacuum before? Thanks for any advice and have attached some photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
302 Posts
I've heard of tanks doing that, never actually seen it though.

The vent pipes are under the LH back corner of the tank, just undo the bolt that holds the back down (8 & 10mm spanners from memory) then lift the back up to see them.

·
Registered
2000 Triumph Tiger 885i 2000 Triumph Sprint ST 955i
139 Posts
If the tank has been off the bike in the past - there's a couple of possibilities. One is that the roll-over one way valve has been installed backwards on the tank vent line. The other is that the tank vent line has become blocked in some way. It can be squished accidentally, the end can be plugged with debris, etc.

There are two lines - one is the drain that allows any water or overfill spillage to drop straight to the ground. The other is the actual 'vent' that prevents the tank from going 'spoink' when the fuel is sucked out by the pump or when the hot expanded fuel cools during the night (as in - what happened to your tank).

I'm not aware of any reliable means of un-spoinking the spoink by applying air pressure. Though you could give it a try. You've nothing to lose as your tank is already spoinked.

Good luck, be sure to post back on what you found and how you fixed it.

Reactions: Buzz2406

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Hot day, probably less than 1/2 tank of gas, vents stopped up, washed (cooled) the bike, and "scrunch!" See this video for a demonstration:

Sorry that happened. It certainly has alerted me to the danger. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I got rid of this ******g tip over valve a while ago. You're not the first to encounter this issue.

BTW I tried to test it and never got it to react properly.

·
Registered
Spring GT 1050 SE 2015
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've heard of tanks doing that, never actually seen it though.

The vent pipes are under the LH back corner of the tank, just undo the bolt that holds the back down (8 & 10mm spanners from memory) then lift the back up to see them.
Thanks. Very curious

·
Registered
2019 Speedmaster
199 Posts
Hi all,

Went out yesterday on my 2015 Sprint and all was well however it was a very hot day and on getting back I just thought that i would give it a clean. I didn't notice any issues however, when I went out to fiddle today the tank looked crushed on one side. I opened the fuel cap and there was a huge whoosh as the cap was opened I.e. a vacuum inside. I am guessing there may be an issue with the vent tube/valve but has anyone seen a tank deform due to a vacuum before? Thanks for any advice and have attached some photos.
Wow. Sorry for your situation. Never heard of that before. My takeaway would be to release the gas cap, and reattach, before washing the bike immediately after a ride. Even if the vent is functioning properly, it may not be able to vent fast enough in that specific scenario. (Inside of tank still very hot from ride, while simultaneously splashing cold water on the outside.) Bummer. Hope you can salvage it somehow!

·
Registered
Spring GT 1050 SE 2015
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the tank has been off the bike in the past - there's a couple of possibilities. One is that the roll-over one way valve has been installed backwards on the tank vent line. The other is that the tank vent line has become blocked in some way. It can be squished accidentally, the end can be plugged with debris, etc.

There are two lines - one is the drain that allows any water or overfill spillage to drop straight to the ground. The other is the actual 'vent' that prevents the tank from going 'spoink' when the fuel is sucked out by the pump or when the hot expanded fuel cools during the night (as in - what happened to your tank).

I'm not aware of any reliable means of un-spoinking the spoink by applying air pressure. Though you could give it a try. You've nothing to lose as your tank is already spoinked.

Good luck, be sure to post back on what you found and how you fixed it.
That's really useful thanks and have it booked in to have it checked by the deer that I bought it from on Monday. Will check back in after that but as you guys have usefully suggested it sounds like the tip over valve/vent.

·
Registered
Spring GT 1050 SE 2015
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi all, I have come to the conclusion that it is the tip over valve that has failed and caused the deformation of my tank. With that in mind can the valve be removed effectively making it obsolete?

·
Registered
302 Posts
This thread reminds me of a similar issue on X308 Jags. They've got a valve that connects the tank to a carbon canister for emissions rubbish, that jams & pressurises the tank till it bursts. Those all tend to get removed, or gutted & refitted so they are just pipe.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I removed the tip over valve also after my tank stopped venting properly. I have the valve in the garage somewhere. Bike works fine.

·
Registered
Spring GT 1050 SE 2015
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys and indeed the more I think about it and the more I learn from you guys, the more I am convinced I shall just have an open vent pipe rather than run the risk again. On reflection I was getting a vacuum frequently prior to this occurring so it wasn't just down to the tank cooling following a hot day (but it didn't help) it was clearly starting to become an issue.

·
Registered
Spring GT 1050 SE 2015
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi all. By way of an update. Had the tank replaced today and yes the vent was blocked. It has now been cleared and to be honest the bike feels more lively.......but that could just be in my head. At the end of the day a valuable lesson learned by me. Any vacuum regardless of how small needs to be addressed. Riding the bike now and no sign of any vacuum unlike before. I shall be keeping a very close eye from now on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts