Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
30,308 Posts
Not my kind of thing, but if it keeps Triumph profitable, so that they can develop the bikes I like as well, then I'm all for it.

·
30,308 Posts
Absolutely - I hope it is a roaring success quite frankly, I won't mind seeing a bunch of them cruising around.

·
Registered
210 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
I would add that to my garage as long as I had something else like my Bonnie or a S3. I really like it but that is my North American Bias. It looks like it could teach the HD Pirates out there a lesson. I think it beats them at their own game.

PS I love liquid cooled bikes. Its just me but my triple, my Intruder, all liquid cooled and they just ran so nicely although I will admit my aircooled Bonnie runs like a top.

My good friend wants a Kawi Mean Streak and I was going to get one when he did but I think it will be this instead. It just looks so incredibly finished which hasn't been Triumphs super strong point.

I agree that it lacks some of the "je ne said quois" that makes Triumph Triumph but its still a looker.

·
Registered
779 Posts
it definitely catches my interest - but then I like cruisers. I think the liquid cooled and EFI is a big plus for touring. I am looking forward to a demo ride.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Man, where you guys been ! there are a lot more new pics than that....

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3061/2932175549_4668185766_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3280/2932176513_2680cb97e0_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3069/2933035754_21075dd8a9_o.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c39/dazco/Tbird.jpg?t=1228258619

Some are clickable for larger, at least the last one is.

Yep....it's just a TEEEEENY WEEEEENY bit different that the test mule some here wanted to believe was what it would finally be.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What a funny old forum !!

Months of speculation , comments , wild guesses and ill informed nonsense.....

Then when 2 posts with actual show pictures of the Thunderbird Cruiser are posted they get the lowest views in 2 days and absolutely no comments........a person could get paranoid !

Still, I guess when they eventually get photographed in the States and some septic starts a thread about what colour socks he should wear with it, that should raise some interest.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I haven't withdrawn my deposit! :cool:
Are there two variations, i keep noticing that the naked has T bars,were the cruiser looks almost like knuckle or beach bars. or maybe thats just an add on. which could become pricey by the time you change risers,bars and cables.

·
Registered
420 Posts
hmm, just another fat cruiser with a different brand name.

Gimme a badass big parallel twin in a cafe-able chassis, and I might be interested, but the radiator kills it for me.
Word.

So far, I'm not a big fan of this new cruiser. If I were in the market for a cruiser I would just buy a Harley. When I buy another Triumph, it will be either vintage, or a modern sport. The 675, and 1050 triples kick a$$. How about a 675 Tiger "Cub" at around 350 lbs with killer suspension, and actual off-road ability? Or a Triumph 675 "Motard"?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Word.

So far, I'm not a big fan of this new cruiser. If I were in the market for a cruiser I would just buy a Harley. When I buy another Triumph, it will be either vintage, or a modern sport. The 675, and 1050 triples kick a$$. How about a 675 Tiger "Cub" at around 350 lbs with killer suspension, and actual off-road ability? Or a Triumph 675 "Motard"?
You may not like cruisers and that I can understand, but...
Harleys are slow and handle poorly besides having antiquated engine / transmission design.
HD is all about their "bad boy" image which I want no part of.
When you buy a harley you buy into their mentality.
The new Triumph Thunderbird is all new technology and expected to produce 100 hp.
No comparison to a hardly.

·
Registered
687 Posts
HP

The only mention I saw, I forget where it was, that the hp was to be greater than 75hp. If that is all there is then I think they will have missed the mark. 100 would be nice but 85-90 may be enough to attract attention. I for one don't think the consumer should have to chase hp with major mods.

·
Registered
420 Posts
You may not like cruisers and that I can understand, but...
Harleys are slow and handle poorly besides having antiquated engine / transmission design.
HD is all about their "bad boy" image which I want no part of.
When you buy a harley you buy into their mentality.
The new Triumph Thunderbird is all new technology and expected to produce 100 hp.
No comparison to a hardly.
I find it funny that Harley's "antiquated designs" are copied buy about 1,000,000 other cruiser manufacturers. ;) They can put their own spin on it, but MOST of manufacturers still try to copy Harley's, style, sound, vibe, and attitude. Kudos to Triumph for TRYING to break away from the v-twin mold in the cruiser market. I'm just not thrilled with the aesthetics of the new bike. Especially that huge radiator, and the mammoth lump of an engine. I think that the Harley cruisers are aesthetically a better looking bike. Also, some of the big Harley's handle pretty well for big bikes, though i agree that in stock form that they are underpowered. I've demoed their whole line, and was actually surprised by the Road King, and Classic. Nice bikes for what they are. Dig the Victory's too, though again I'd buy a HD.

As for the Harley lifestyle, I have no problem with it (though I find it amusing), and I have no problem with their products, or any other manufacturer's products for that matter; including Triumph, which makes some of my favorite bikes including my Bonneville, which is also relatively slow, and underpowered for a 790cc bike... This new cruiser is a risk for Triumph. Hope it works out for them... At least the specs are promising. ;)

·
Registered
648 Posts
The only mention I saw, I forget where it was, that the hp was to be greater than 75hp. If that is all there is then I think they will have missed the mark. 100 would be nice but 85-90 may be enough to attract attention. I for one don't think the consumer should have to chase hp with major mods.
If actual horsepower output proves to be less than 90 I will have to reconsider my purchase. I intend to produce custom chopper style rear fenders for it but if it isn't a fast cruiser I probably won't bother.
I agree that Triumph shouldn't count on consumers to improve on performance. That's a harley trick. It's much easier (and cheaper) for Triumph to produce respectable HP at the factory. If the Thunderbird is just another heavy, slow turd like a air cooled harley I doubt it will be very successful ... :rolleyes:
The new Yamaha Raider has gained quick acceptance like Honda's VTX but it's a fast motorcycle besides catering to chopper / cruiser styling.
Triumph would do well to take notice of the competition and do them one better, not fall behind.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I find it funny that Harley's "antiquated designs" are copied buy about 1,000,000 other cruiser manufacturers. ;) They can put their own spin on it, but MOST of manufacturers still try to copy Harley's, style, sound, vibe, and attitude.
I have never been a big follower. Engines produced by some of the aftermarket like S&S, Patric Racing, etc. are made with better quality control but they are still antiquated dinosaurs. Push-rods? Really? That's 1940 tech!
Have you ever ridden a 112 or 124" S&S powered cruiser or chopper?
I have and was very unimpressed!
They vibrate like crazy and as much as they try to claim big HP numbers, they are PIGS! (HOGS).
The only bike I own that is slower than a 124" S&S is my stock '09 Bonneville and I purchased it because it's style and heritage appealed to me.
I didn't buy it to be a poser like some of the harley riders I know. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 69 Posts