Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to post this because it's something that is rarely spoken of and i think it should be more widley known. The cruisers (maybe bonnies too but i can't speak for them) have 2 hoses that hang down from the airbox which are drain hoses. They are to drain any water or oil or whatever builds up in the box over time, mainly oil i think. they should be drained occasionally. the hoses have caps on the end that can be removed to drain them.

Anyways, thats not what i wanted to warn ya'll of, just needed to preface it with a description. When your bike backfires, and most seem to now and then during the initial tweaking period many of us go thru when modding, the caps on these 2 hoses can easily pop off. Mine did. I suspect one good backfire is all it takes. If these caps are gone they will suck air into the box, and this air is POST filter. Not to mention the fact the hoses hang down below the bike where they can suck up all the debris and dirt and WATER on the road. This may well be one of the causes of so many stories we hear of bikes dying in the rain.

I wanted to mention this because i suspect that probably the majority of us are cruising around with the caps gone and totally unaware of this. Remember, there are TWO of them. I mention that because i could only find one and had to take my battery out to see the other. The end of the second one i couldn't see at all, so i stuck a piece of coathanger in there and snagged the top of the hose and pulled to find the end. You'll notice them attached to the airbox right next to each other with hose clamps where they connect. Sure enough like the first one, it too had blown it's cap. I had no caps so i bent the ends over and tie wrapped them. You can get caps or do that, whatever you wish, but find them and cap them if they're gone because you will be sucking dirt and water into the carbs !

[ This message was edited by: dazco on 2006-11-26 14:33 ]

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By way, the hoses numbered 11 are the ones i'm talking about.

·
Registered
66 Posts
G'day Team,

Could someone please let me know what I have to pull off or where I have to look to find these tubes in question. Yesterday I looked and poked and looked again but didn't have time to pull anything off. I had my head under the bike and still couldn't see them. Can someone please let me know what I have to do to locate these so I can check them out. Thanks heaps

Demps

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As i said, they can be very hard to find. First i'd get a flashlight and get down on your back and look for them. If that doesn't work, remove the battery and you'll see them. You have to take off the fake chrome air cleaner cover, then you can get to the battery. Once out you'll see 2 squarish holes in the battery compartment and thru one of them you'll be able to see the hoses.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks mate, I'll do that when I get home, Trust me I was on my back yesterday with a torch looking for them. I'll let you know the results tomorrow.

Demps

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Clint,since your bike probably isn`t a California model,you may not have that extra plumbing. :???:

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Clint,since your bike probably isn`t a California model,you may not have that extra plumbing
All models have them, not just the california models. They are not part of the Ca emissions junk. They are drain hoses to drain any oil buildup in the airbox, and the dealer is supposed to drain them at maintenance intervals.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You're lucky. But now you know to keep an eye on them, especially after any backfires you experience. Of course if you didn't mod the bike at all the chances of the caps being gone is probably slim since a stock bike shouldn't backfire. But most of us mod them with pipes and airbiox mods, and during the process of getting the jetting right i'd say most people experience some backfires from time to time. But even if it stays stock it's good to know they're there so you can pull the plugs and let them drain from time to time if neede be.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts