Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all - first time posting. Hope it works.

I can't claim credit for this, pinched it off another forum.

A caterpillar silicon O ring part no 8m4991, makes the perfect cruise control. Slide it over your bar end weight. When conditions allow - numbingly boring motorway stints, roll the O ring down towards the throttle. Just let it grip enough to maintain present speed. You can still, obviously, close or open the throttle but will feel the resistance of the O ring.

I ordered two from Finning Cat ( branches nationwide ). They cost me £11.50, posted for the pair. Apparently they are 2 dollars each from the states.

They work a treat.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Holy cow! Send me £11.50 and I'll send you six of them! I'll pay the postage, too! I can get them at the corner hardware for less than $1.00 Shop around, Triumph stuff costs too much, you shouldn't get screwed for aftermarket stuff, too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
o ring

Hi all,
It appears that the caterpillar o ring that is mentioned above is the best due to the silicon construction. I ordered 3 (just to have spares!!) for my bike and they work great. I have read that the non caterpillar o rings do not work as well.
Just my 2 cents :D

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Atokadok,

thanks for posting the photo.

With regard to pricing it's all par for the course this side of the pond. I have the Land Rover and Triumph factories in a 30 mile radius and I bet we pay more for our spares than you do.

Two years ago I had to buy a dedicated ignition key for my Jeep - £135...

It's all part of what makes Britain " GREAT ".

Cheers John.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have been using this for a while too although have to say it is a bit tricky to slide across and get it to stay there!!

Atokadok your handguards look great but do they make it even harder to move the 'crusie control' across?

·
Registered
791 Posts
I was given this ring by a fellow Tiger driver and it works well. Be careful when pushing it off the throttle so that it doesn't become roadside trash. I wonder where mine is now.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have been using this for a while too although have to say it is a bit tricky to slide across and get it to stay there!!

Atokadok your handguards look great but do they make it even harder to move the 'crusie control' across?
The handguards do not interfere with the cruise control. The cruise control (aka CAT o-ring) fits right in between the space where the end of the rubber hand grip ends and the bar end starts. The space is about 2 mm and in not visible in my pictures, but it is there. The handgrips have a slight left to right movement in them which creates the space.

It's pretty easy to "roll" the o-ring into that space but I find it a little trickier "rolling" it out of th space back to its resting spot on the bar end. (stock bar ends on my '06 have a slight depression in them where the o-ring rests) I do not use the o-ring that often. I was on a 315 mile ride a couple of weeks ago and only used it maybe 2 or 3 times for about 15-20 minutes maximum at any one time.

The handguards (BMS 1150 GS kit if anyone is going to ask) do keep one from simply "rolliing" the o-ring right off the end and into the ditch!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have the same 'indentation' on my 2005 Tiger which does work well to rest the o-ring into.

I am going to have to get some of those BM hand guards so much better looking than the triumph ones!

·
Registered
896 Posts
fitting issues

I used the Cat-O-Ring trick on my sprint, however on the Tiger, the gap between the bar end and the end of the throttle grip is about 3/8" wide and of course the o-ring just falls into that gap. Before I go messing it up, can the throttle grip assembly be moved?

thnx!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts