Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any information on the availability of a Cruise Control in Australia to suit the 05 Truimph America.and 06 Speedmaster.

I am aware of the US made "BrakeAway Products Inc" Cruise Control. Can any offer any feedback on if they are a good buy or not, As BrakeAway dont export to Australia and I would like to know of anyones experience with then before I send one of my US contact on a wild goose chase to find one.
eg. How easy are theytofit and has anyonehad any trouble with them.

Gerry D.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Ran into a guy on a Tiger who installed an electronic cruise control from an auto parts store. Works just like a car. Set and coast buttons on a little box originally designed to clamp onto an auto turn signal stalk. It was wired to tail light bulb, so when you touched brake, it would turn off.

[ This message was edited by: LT on 2007-03-02 17:52 ]

G

·
I have the Throttlemeister on my RT and the BrakeAway on my SM. Both are easy to install (30-60 minutes) and work as designed...as friction controls. You'll pick up speed going downhill and slow down going up so if the electronic version mentioned by LT works, that would be ideal.

I've had no trouble with either one and they do let you relax your grip on the highway. The BrakeAway is quick-released using the thumb release or the brake.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Davetw1
Thanks for the feed back. good to know there is more than one available and that they both work satisfactorily . I will check out the "ThrottleMeister"

Rgds
GerryD

·
Registered
779 Posts
if you are considering the throttlemeister type criuse control you can save the cost by using a couple of O-rings instead. I recall some threads about this some time back. But the jist of it is by simply placing a 1" diameter x .065 o-ring between the throttle grip and the bar end cap and a larger (I think) 2.25"x.188" o-ring at the flanged end of the throttle grip, you have an effective fiction cruise control. Investment is a few dollars or less.

I have been quite happy with this set up. it is just plain easy.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I tried to install the brakeaway unit on my 05 america. You have to get 3 adjustments in perfect sync for it to work. Never could do it. They let me return it though. I have heard of good results from others who installed theirs.
Design wise,,,,,I like the looks of the throttle meister. I talked to the factory rep though.... Last year he said that we have a 4mm end cap screw on our americas. He wanted me to retap to a 6mm - 8mm screw for added strength and he will make a unit up for me. This would not be a big deal because the hole is allready there. you would just be drilling it out a little bigger before you run the bigger tap through. I really had a big one on for cruise control and i ended up going the $18,000 dollar route. But, I still have my america too. Hope my experiences helps.

jerry

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a universal vista for 1" bars installed (along with the throttle rocker). I've reversed the action. It is suppose to be up-unlocked and down-locked. I prefer to push it up with my thumb to set and flip it down with my index finger to release. It doesn't lock so tight that you can't twist through it with just a slight effort.
Universal Vista from Aerostich Not where I got mine, but it'll work.
It took a slight mod, but nothing difficult. And for under $40 you can't beat it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts