Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always had a problem checking the tire pressure, and filling up the tires on the Bonnie due to the lack of room around the valve between the spokes. I mentioned it the last time I was in the shop, and the mechanic pointed out maybe the wheels were laced wrong. He showed me a new one in the shop where there was a nice open area around the valve stems. So depending on where you start the lacing you either end up with the spokes crossed above the valve stem or nice and open. Mine are both crossed over the valve stem. Just wondering how many other people are in the same boat??? 50-50, or was mine just put together on a Friday afternoon of a long weekend???

·
30,523 Posts
Mine are not laced over the valve stem, but it's still difficult to get in there with a standard gas station filler.

That is a bummer - I don't suppose there's any chance they will swap the wheel out for you. That's pretty poor.

·
30,523 Posts
That's a handy gauge. I do carry a right angle adapter with me to make filling at gas stations easier if I need to do it. I also carry a pressure gauge with a flex on it that makes reading the pressure easy, but it does not have the air adapter on the end to fill through.

Incidentally - I noticed the new cast wheel bonnies are coming with right angle vavlves on the wheels from the factory. A minor but nice detail. They should have done that on all the bikes.

·
Registered
10,846 Posts
I don't think you'll find an inner tube with a right-angle valve stem. :rolleyes:

I'd like to be proven wrong.

The easiest tire pressure gauge is the Roadgear talking digital model with a right-angle head on it. Pop it on and let it tell you the pressure. You can hold it in place and use it to release air until you get the pressure right, because you don't have to look at it.

·
30,523 Posts
I have an inner tube with a right angle valve on it on my ride on lawnmower - but I freely admit that that is a rather different and less stressful application than a motorcycle. According to my shade tree power sports catalog you can get 90 degree stems on some of the smaller wheel sizes (15 and 16 inch), but nothing bigger than that.

It would be handy though wouldn't it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts