Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, im new to the forum but i would like to hear some advice from existing thruxton owners.

I am planning on taking a rather long (6 mo. to a year) cross country/international trip on a thruxton (that is only slightly modified) upon my college graduation. I plan on beginning my trip most likely Spain and doing a tour of europe before descending through Turkey, into Jordan and Israel and then following the Northern lip of north Africa before ending in Tunisia.

I have been researching this trip for over a year now and am am aware of the obstacles that lay in my path regarding political situations and visas,. paperwork etc. but what about the motorcycle? I plan on raising the handle bars to a more comfortable long distance riding position as well as adding a more comfortable seat but not much else in an effort to keep costs down. how is upkeep on the road? In Africa's sandy conditions, should i worry about sand contaminating the airbox? if so, how can i prevent this/ fix this on the road? any other points that could be brought up are greatly appreciated. Thanks, Austin

·
Registered
666 Posts
There may be better bikes for the journey but ride what you got. They are reliable so you shouldn't have any more trouble than with any other bike. Defintely raise the bars some and make us all very very jealous. And oh yeah, you will have to post pics of your journey as you go making us all very very jealous of course.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I think you'll be fine. You might want to add a small windscreen. Definitely locking hard bags and a good lock for the bike. Bring along a spare air and oil filter if you have room.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts