Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents my plan is to ride from Northeast Florida to Costa Mesa California on an 05 Bonnie T100, any pointers on seat covers, jeans and having to adjust the carbs at higher altitudes ( Planning on riding thru Telluride Colorado) then towards Capital Reef UT then down to Costa Mesa. I know its not a direct route but I’ve got some stuff i want to see:) Oh yeah almost forgot… gonna be the hottest part of the year:(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hydrate.
Gas, go, gas - stop for break, go. Repeat.
Your butt is going to hurt no matter what you do.
Good luck, enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I've done a couple big trips - a 2,600 mile round trip to VA and back from TX and a 5,300 mile round trip to OR and back (from TX).

A couple things I found work for me:
  • Wear underwear that doesn't have seams where you sit. I've seen people suggest bicycle shorts and I've used them with success. But, I've also had good luck with boxer briefs - just no seams under my sit bones.
  • Take a camelbak or something similar. It's nice to be able to drink while riding down the road and it's got a little room to put things (like a jacket liner) or GPS Tracker.
  • Take a look at the range of temperatures you'll be riding through. When I rode to VA, I froze my hands off on the Blue Ridge Parkway one morning because all I had was my summer gloves. On my trip to OR, I brought both my summer and winter gloves. I also looked at what kinds of temps I would encounter and decided on a heavier, warmer jacket even though it was a borderline too warm a couple days (in the desert) because I knew it would be perfect the rest of the trip and I never froze once (even when going over some of mountains in MT and CO).

Other than that, enjoy yourself out there!

It's awesome taking trips like these on a motorcycle. I'm currently planning a trip to ME via upstate NY and then down the East Coast to VA and back again (from TX). I can't wait!

·
Premium Member
2008 Bonneville Black
12,352 Posts
Yeah, lots of water. Frequent breaks. Take county and minor roads.

I went over Beartooth Pass with an A/F gauge installed. Bike got silly rich and lost some power, but it was fine. No need to adjust the carbs on the fly.

I can't ride without the Airhawk seat cushion. Actually wore the cover off one out and had to replace it. Not perfect, but my seat leaves me injured after a few hours without it. And that's after Spencer upgraded it. I have the Cruiser Small and it fits perfect. Wife has the Medium and that works too, although it hangs off the sides of the bike.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've done a couple big trips - a 2,600 mile round trip to VA and back from TX and a 5,300 mile round trip to OR and back (from TX).

A couple things I found work for me:
  • Wear underwear that doesn't have seams where you sit. I've seen people suggest bicycle shorts and I've used them with success. But, I've also had good luck with boxer briefs - just no seams under my sit bones.
  • Take a camelbak or something similar. It's nice to be able to drink while riding down the road and it's got a little room to put things (like a jacket liner) or GPS Tracker.
  • Take a look at the range of temperatures you'll be riding through. When I rode to VA, I froze my hands off on the Blue Ridge Parkway one morning because all I had was my summer gloves. On my trip to OR, I brought both my summer and winter gloves. I also looked at what kinds of temps I would encounter and decided on a heavier, warmer jacket even though it was a borderline too warm a couple days (in the desert) because I knew it would be perfect the rest of the trip and I never froze once (even when going over some of mountains in MT and CO).

Other than that, enjoy yourself out there!

It's awesome taking trips like these on a motorcycle. I'm currently planning a trip to ME via upstate NY and then down the East Coast to VA and back again (from TX). I can't wait!
Sounds like awesome trips and gained the knowledge of what works … I appreciate you passing along the knowledge. Your up coming ride sounds epic… get after it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk lol

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I went over Beartooth Pass with an A/F gauge installed. Bike got silly rich and lost some power, but it was fine. No need to adjust the carbs on the fly.

I can't ride without the Airhawk seat cushion. Actually wore the cover off one out and had to replace it. Not perfect, but my seat leaves me injured after a few hours without it. And that's after Spencer upgraded it. I have the Cruiser Small and it fits perfect. Wife has the Medium and that works too, although it hangs off the sides of the bike.
I’ll definitely check out airhawk… thanks for the info!

·
Registered
71 Posts

So you are using a small cruiser Airhawk on a Bonnie? I like the lines on my stock SE seat and can’t find an aftermarket I like. Sounds like the way to go.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
I took longs trips from the Northeast to Florida and back on my Bonneville several times.

I also had an Airhawk which worked well to make the stock seat tolerable. The other big things were highway pegs that allowed me to stretch my legs out in another position every once in awhile. I'm six feet tall with around a 33-1/2 inch inseam. I start to feel cramped on the bike after a few hours, and the highway pegs make a huge difference IMO IME.

The picture below shows SW-Motech bars (not my Bonnie): SW-MOTECH Crash Bars Engine Guards for Triumph Bonneville, SE & T100 '04-'16 & Thruxton '04-'15 - Twisted Throttle

Good luck and safe travels!

·
Premium Member
2008 Bonneville Black
12,352 Posts
So you are using a small cruiser Airhawk on a Bonnie? I like the lines on my stock SE seat and can’t find an aftermarket I like. Sounds like the way to go.
I use the small on the flat seat of my 2008 Bonnie spoked-wheel, it fits right.

Wife has a 2009 mag wheel. That seat is like yours, not flat, it's shaved down in the front to lower it. Now that I think of it, she tried the small on that and didn't like it. It bunched up in front of her. The medium hangs over the side of the seat some, but she finds it more comfortable. Probably either works on the mag-wheel and it's just personal preference.

I don't like the look at all, but it's a necessity thing for me.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I use the small on the flat seat of my 2008 Bonnie spoked-wheel, it fits right.

Wife has a 2009 mag wheel. That seat is like yours, not flat, it's shaved down in the front to lower it. Now that I think of it, she tried the small on that and didn't like it. It bunched up in front of her. The medium hangs over the side of the seat some, but she finds it more comfortable. Probably either works on the mag-wheel and it's just personal preference.

I don't like the look at all, but it's a necessity thing for me.
Thanks, that’s really helpful. As you know the Airhawk site doesn’t provide any guidance on specific models. Much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
Tried a full range of inflations on an Airhawk but I never found it comfortable for any length of time. Then I tried a sheepskin and it's really been perfect (for me, at least).

·
Registered
2009 Bonneville
2 Posts
I rode from Illinois to Fairbanks and back in 2010 on my 09 mag wheel, around 8k miles in 12 days. Like mentioned above, highway pegs are good to switch up which part of your butt is on the seat every so often. I also had a gel seat cushion which helped and triumph’s shorter windshield to keep the wind off my chest. I’d suggest taking more time than you think it’s going to take, going at your own pace is more enjoyable than trying to push it. A solid supply of ibuprofen isn’t a bad idea either, your butt will be sore no matter what. Last thing, a solid set of rain gear. No set will last forever but mine was useless by the time I was in mid iowa. I tried being cheap and I ended up regretting that when I was in the mountains getting rained on in 50 degree weather.

·
Registered
2014 Scrambler
368 Posts
I've improved my seat with better foam and it's amazing, but for some reason adding a sheep wren as one would get from Ikea or the like ($30ish) and placing between the seat and your butt just does something to make it more comfortable. Maybe it aids in airflow and general moisture wicking so it doesn't get swampy down there. 🤷‍♂️ All I know is it works.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
This is sick! How do you have your bike set up for the trip (luggage, suspension)? I am wanting to do this.
So I have TEC shocks in the rear and progressive springs in the front, the luggage is SW-Motech and the top bag is a Givi dry bag and a generic tank bag …. Reading some of the responses I’m gonna pick up a AirHawk seat small and maybe slap a sheep skin on top and lastly a buddy strongly recommend motoskivees. …. The seat i have on the bike right now is made by Roland Sands. I hope this helps you!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Gents my plan is to ride from Northeast Florida to Costa Mesa California on an 05 Bonnie T100, any pointers on seat covers, jeans and having to adjust the carbs at higher altitudes ( Planning on riding thru Telluride Colorado) then towards Capital Reef UT then down to Costa Mesa. I know its not a direct route but I’ve got some stuff i want to see:) Oh yeah almost forgot… gonna be the hottest part of the year:(

I’ve ridden across country multiple times on my 05 T100, including the areas you want to go. I carry all parts and tools with me as well as camping gear, clothes, etc.Ive learned a lot doing it.

1- Don’t bother adjusting your carbs at high altitude. You will lose some power as you go higher, especially above 7-9k feet, but you can keep up with traffic.
2- Like others have said, get comfortable. I use a sheepskin pad and nothing else, ymmv. You’re gonna stop every 150 miles for gas anyway, so you have time to stretch.
3- Buy the best gear you can afford. Get on advrider and see if you can get a deal on some good stuff. I personally wear stuff that is goretex and vents full time. Carry a pair of gloves that breathes and a pair of gloves that is waterproof. Last trip I was in sweltering heat, snow, rain, hail, wind and sleet.
4- Tool wise- carry spare cables, some black rev, a small vise grip, spare fuel line, mechanics wire, electrical tape, zip ties, and a tool kit. Also everything to maintain chain tension. All of these things will come in handy. Count on something happening- I’ve had a shift knob fall off, headlights blow out, side cover leaks, an oil filter rupture, cables fray, etc. Murphys law says it will happen in the middle of nowhere.

good luck man! It’s a beautiful trip where you’re headed!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rode from NH to FL & back on my 2002 Trophy 1200 in 2013. Packed my side & top cases full. In the rain for 32 hrs. Corbin seat was comfortable!
make sure you are weather and road ready! Bring tools, a sleeping bag and a couple of quarts of fuel. Stopped about every 200 miles for gas & hydration or a snack. Took both highways & byways.
short day was 9 1/2 hrs. long day was 13 hrs. GREAT trip! 3800 miles.
2017 rode from NH to VA,TN, NC & back. Incredible ride! 3400 miles. Drive defensively & have fun!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I’ve ridden across country multiple times on my 05 T100, including the areas you want to go. I carry all parts and tools with me as well as camping gear, clothes, etc.Ive learned a lot doing it.

1- Don’t bother adjusting your carbs at high altitude. You will lose some power as you go higher, especially above 7-9k feet, but you can keep up with traffic.
2- Like others have said, get comfortable. I use a sheepskin pad and nothing else, ymmv. You’re gonna stop every 150 miles for gas anyway, so you have time to stretch.
3- Buy the best gear you can afford. Get on advrider and see if you can get a deal on some good stuff. I personally wear stuff that is goretex and vents full time. Carry a pair of gloves that breathes and a pair of gloves that is waterproof. Last trip I was in sweltering heat, snow, rain, hail, wind and sleet.
4- Tool wise- carry spare cables, some black rev, a small vise grip, spare fuel line, mechanics wire, electrical tape, zip ties, and a tool kit. Also everything to maintain chain tension. All of these things will come in handy. Count on something happening- I’ve had a shift knob fall off, headlights blow out, side cover leaks, an oil filter rupture, cables fray, etc. Murphys law says it will happen in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Thank man I really appreciate the info, I didn’t even think a out spare parts. I’ll go ahead and order fuel hose and cables, the rest i can scrounge up. So far I’ve ordered new chain, airhawk seat cover, and riding pants. Left to buy is a fuel can and some highly recommended Motoskiveez . My bike is a 05 Bonnie T100 with 8100 miles on it so im hoping it will hold up? Hell I’m hoping I’ll hold up!

·
Premium Member
2004 Daytona 955i, 2018 Indian Roadmaster, 2014 Triumph Scrambler, 1980 CB650C in resto
17,928 Posts
Get a throttle lock. I really, really wish I'd had one of these back when I was touring with non-cruise-control motorcycles. One of the best $10 you can spend.

Punctures happen. Get set up to self recover. Make sure your tires are fresh. Bring chain wax too.

Also, don't go straight from one hour rides to riding all day. Build up. At the very least, do a half day ride about a week before you head out.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts