Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not the most sociable person in the world, generally I prefer to remain unbothered by my fellow man - so when some stranger comes up to me in a crowd I usually think the worst.

That said, lately there have been more than few creepy bikers trolling the avenues looking to hang out with random riders/bikers as they go about their business. Usually it's the same bit - ride slowly past you, drop back, get behind you at a light, rev the engine. Doing everything to get noticed, then follow you to your destination riding in "formation" before turning off to go pester someone else. Never do they appear threatening or intimidating.

Like I said, I'm not the most sociable person - and I'm not gay, so if that's what they're after they're out of luck there too. But geeze, take a hint buddy, I'm tired, it was a long commute, and if you want to shoot the breeze, hit me up at a parking lot or something. Anything but heavy traffic where there isn't a place to pull off and certainly not my front driveway.

·
Registered
430 Posts
You don't have a bandana in the wrong pocket, or ear ring in the wrong ear, do you? :)

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Premium Member
7,365 Posts
I'm not the most sociable person in the world, generally I prefer to remain unbothered by my fellow man
Yes, posting on the biggest online Triumph community in the world is definitely the way to keep your head down and avoid attention.

:rolleyes:

Joking aside, this is an interesting issue. I moved to Australia late in life (35) and I left my network of friends from childhood, school, work, the Army etc behind. So I had to start from scratch and build a new network of people whose company I enjoyed and who I had something in common with, ie motorcycling or shooting. Making new friends later in life, when you start from zero, is interesting and sometimes challenging.

I"m lucky enough to have confidence and a good sense of humour which allows me to talk to strangers easily (hence my job) but sometimes I would walk up to a group of other bikers and the body language would be all wrong and I`d get the "interloper vibe" a feeling of being an intruder to a long established social group. Anthropology 101, I suppose. So there were times when I went away and thought, "Geez, I hope they don`t think I`m a stalker?"

IMHO and in my personal experience, older people who share a common interest with you may just be looking to engage on a friendly level and are probably looking for someone to ride with. Their actions do not necessarily mean that they want to boil your pet rabbit or burst in through your bedroom window at 2am with surprise prison sex on their mind.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
There is something wrong with this. Maybe it's perfectly innocent, but my mind goes to dark places. If an unknown group of riders did that to me and began to follow me in formation like you describe I would not lead them anywhere near my home or where I park my bike. Someone is playing games and it's better to be safe than sorry.

·
Premium Member
7,365 Posts
There is something wrong with this. Maybe it's perfectly innocent, but mind goes to dark places. If an unknown group of riders did that to me and began to follow me in formation like you describe...
I think Eigenvector means individual riders following him on different occasions, rather than a group following him all at once, which would indeed be scarey.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
I don't know, Eigenvector, this has happened to me many times, but usually by happenstance rather than as you described (catching up, slowing down, etc.). I've even slowed my pace to loosely follow a pack a time or two - the last time for an hour or so with a group of BMW riders, who waved as we parted company. I even got caught up in the middle of a swarm of Hell's Angels in the 70s, which at first worried me, but it worked out the same.

I think it's harmless, and a bit natural for bikes to draw together like magnets. But I can see your point about being tired and not in the mood for "social" riding out of the blue like that.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I think Eigenvector means individual riders following him on different occasions, rather than a group following him all at once, which would indeed be scarey.
We'll have to let Eigenvector clarify. I read and reread it and it's not clear (at least not to me) if it's a couple of people at once or the same group of individuals a couple of times....

Nonetheless, someone following you home is not good and would raise my hackles.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
First let's be clear. Individual riders - not groups. If it were groups, I'd REALLY be creeped out.

Second, must have been lost in translation but it was somewhat tongue and cheek. Although my sentiment was the same - just having perfect strangers "hook up" with you and follow and drive by you is creepy as far as I'm concerned.

Just imagine your reaction if a stranger just walked up and started walking with you while you were at the mall or something - acting like it was perfectly natural. May be the nicest and sanest person around - but it's still not something you'd likely encourage. Just because I'm on a motorcycle doesn't change that.

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
Just because I'm on a motorcycle doesn't change that.
and yet it does. It's a curious thing how being on a bike changes the world.

I have had breakdowns (alright ran out of petrol:eek:) in cars and been ignored by everyone else until I've walked miles, bought yet another gallon can, back to the car and away (or called the breakdown service). I once ran out of petrol on my bike in the middle of nowhere in deepest France; every single car stopped to check that I was alright and eventually brought fuel back to me. I have pulled into a petrol station in rural Scotland and within minutes made three new best friends for life. On ferry trips across to the continent, the car drivers all sit in silence staring ahead while the bikers all chat to one another.

You're never alone on a bike.

·
Premium Member
7,365 Posts
Just imagine your reaction if a stranger just walked up and started walking with you while you were at the mall or something - acting like it was perfectly natural. .
Same sex? Not good. Opposite sex? Yes, perfectly natural, healthy and full of promising potential.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
All of my friends started out as strangers.

Being a native New Yorker, I avoid eye contact with anyone I'm not on a first name basis with.
That being said, I've met some very interesting people by talking to strangers.

·
Premium Member
3,325 Posts
All of my friends started out as strangers.

Being a native New Yorker, I avoid eye contact with anyone I'm not on a first name basis with.
That being said, I've met some very interesting people by talking to strangers.
+1 Agreed

H

·
0 Posts
Looks as if I will never again meet any one like Dog and or Jonkster. Perfect strangers, creepy.

·
Driftless Admin
11,510 Posts
I don't mind it when folks fall in formation with me, unless they get in too close. In that case I just find a reason to stop. But if they keep a good spacing I just assume my bike is so cool that they want to be associated with me. If I didn't wear a helmet I'd assume it was because I was so cool.

Last summer I fell in behind a leather jacket tough guy on his bike. He was quick and I was feeling all racy, and just kept pushing him. He even tried to wave me by at one point, but I kept behind him letting him know I was there. Looking back, I was being a complete pr1ck. That type of stuff is annoying, but if I did that to me I'd just pull over. Or something like that.

Their actions do not necessarily mean that they want to boil your pet rabbit or burst in through your bedroom window at 2am with surprise prison sex on their mind.

Yuck, I hate it when it's a surprise.

·
Registered
355 Posts
You did say this happens on your commute? If you're in heavier than usual traffic it could be a safety thing? They might see it as safer to have two take the lane, less likely to have a cager slide over on either of you, maybe. At least for as long as you're travelling in the same direction.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts