Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/configuratorPopup.aspx

You can now go to Triumphs web site and click "Create My Triumph" or click above link and configure your Thunderbird with all the accessories and see what it will look like and how much it will cost. You can then save it, print it and/or email it to yourself and/or your friends or dealer.

Since I already ordered mine, I configured it with everything I want and then emailed it to my dealer to have him order as soon as available.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I configured it with Harley Road King accessories. It still looks a bit awkward in comparison to the Harley. Not for me, but I'm sure you will gets lots of attention when yours arrives.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am actually ordering all the accessories to configure mine for two different bikes. I ordered the mini fairing for a sport/cruiser look and then sheild, bags and highway bars for a touring configuration.

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Too much fun! I went through an easy $100K in wish models/money w/o blinking an eyelid. Good thing I'm not in the market for a new bike or I'd be so in debt!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Here is a picture of the one I configured for myself. Now if I can just get "she who must be obeyed" to agree to trade the Goldwing for this T-Bird.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Haggis,
My config was exactly the same as your first one. I think that looks amazing. It arrives in Edmonton on the 10th. Can't wait.

·
Banned
1,041 Posts
Haggis,
My config was exactly the same as your first one. I think that looks amazing. It arrives in Edmonton on the 10th. Can't wait.
Do you have a 10th of June delivery date? I've not gotten anything other than the original vague date on the confirmation email so far.

J

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have to second Haggis on his statement.

Also I have played with the build a bike way to much.......
There have been many iterations and they all just make me want it !

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What marketing?

I have to second Haggis on his statement.

Also I have played with the build a bike way to much.......
There have been many iterations and they all just make me want it !
Just think what would happen if Triumph actually new how to market the Thunderbird.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Thats been exactly my thought too.I don\'t understand how triumph can be so blind as to not see that thier target base (harley riders) are about the last people who will change brands. yet they designed it to appeal to them while alienating thier largest REAL audience, us, by not styling it to look british ! I don\'t generally tend to believe my opinions about how a company markets something can compete with the people who\'s business it is to know. But in this case it\'s just too obvious. Had they designed it with a speedmaster like tank with a brit paint scheme, above bar instruments, a less HD like rear fender, then made a mid peg version too, they\'d have sold a crapload of them ! How they are blind to the fact the biggest customer base is going to be us is beyond me. There doesn\'t seem to be a person on this or any other triumph board that doesn\'t either want one as is or WOULD want one if styled either just more brit like or that + mid pegs. I honestly think they might have trouble keeping up with demand if they did ! Look at the bonnie. Probably THE most brit looking bike they make and i have seen more of those on the road then all other triumphs combined by a mile.

Don\'t get me wrong....i love it as is and will probably have one as soon as they arrive. but I\'d have been that much more excited with a speedmaster looking tank/paint (the pre-\'08 tank that is) and above bar instruments. I really think they screwed up. Either Bloor has a huge ego and thinks he can take on harley, a bike who\'s owners could care less about handling and performance, or someone else in charge is just plain clueless. I\'d be surprised to see even a fraction of a percent of HD riders change over due to the Tbird.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Thats been exactly my thought too.I don\'t understand how triumph can be so blind as to not see that thier target base (harley riders) are about the last people who will change brands. yet they designed it to appeal to them while alienating thier largest REAL audience, us, by not styling it to look british ! I don\'t generally tend to believe my opinions about how a company markets something can compete with the people who\'s business it is to know. But in this case it\'s just too obvious. Had they designed it with a speedmaster like tank with a brit paint scheme, above bar instruments, a less HD like rear fender, then made a mid peg version too, they\'d have sold a crapload of them ! How they are blind to the fact the biggest customer base is going to be us is beyond me. There doesn\'t seem to be a person on this or any other triumph board that doesn\'t either want one as is or WOULD want one if styled either just more brit like or that + mid pegs. I honestly think they might have trouble keeping up with demand if they did ! Look at the bonnie. Probably THE most brit looking bike they make and i have seen more of those on the road then all other triumphs combined by a mile.

Don\'t get me wrong....i love it as is and will probably have one as soon as they arrive. but I\'d have been that much more excited with a speedmaster looking tank/paint (the pre-\'08 tank that is) and above bar instruments. I really think they screwed up. Either Bloor has a huge ego and thinks he can take on harley, a bike who\'s owners could care less about handling and performance, or someone else in charge is just plain clueless. I\'d be surprised to see even a fraction of a percent of HD riders change over due to the Tbird.
Triumph should leave the Harley clones to the Japanese manufacturers !

·
Registered
55 Posts

If you want mids buy a HD because they are the only brand that actually offers them. As for paint they will probably change in in years to come make it a little more "brit". INMO you can only style a cruiser like a cruiser and they will always look like a HD because they invented the word "Cruiser".

I don't think HD is competition they are on the same level as triumph with ever one under them in the cruiser class. Triumph is going after entry/first big bike riders Triumph has the same heritage as HD. We should be happy that we can out run a HD again with the same or smaller ci motor just like triumph use too. Just like my 865 dusts a 883s in ever shap and form and will give a 1200 a run for its money.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
If you want mids buy a HD because they are the only brand that actually offers them. As for paint they will probably change in in years to come make it a little more \"brit\". INMO you can only style a cruiser like a cruiser and they will always look like a HD because they invented the word \"Cruiser\".
I was saying that a lot of people want mid pegs....i don\'t. I just think they should have offered a version with that. All i want changed is the instruments. I\'d prefer either traditional tach and speedo above the bars or at least like the speedmaster....speedo above bars and tach on the tank. Also, i don\'t consider the speedmaster or the Tbird cruisers. To me they have some cruiser details like seating/peg positions and a bit of rake. But to me they would better be caller \"roadster\" or some such category if you want to categorize them. To me cruiser denotes a certain shape and lack of agility that are not present in the triumphs. But thats subjcective. I was just saying that they shouldn\'t have even copied the few HD like details that they did because the bike IMO would sell better, because we all know the HD guys aren\'t gonna buy them. I read an article that said triumph\'s target market for the R3 was also harley, and it failed miserably in recruiting HD people. So it\'s obvious triumph hasn\'t a clue when it comes to marketing strategy. they should really just stick to making bikes that are 100% triumph. To me the Tbird would be if it has a speedmaster style tank both in shape and paint scheme, and traditional instruments. Oh, and less HD looking rear fender. Then you\'d have a bike with nothing that really shouts HD at all. And i think that would see to people like up two-fold over what it probably will as is.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts