Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is one of the locals called tyler "the awesome" he drags his elbows at times. yes he lane crosses, but it is in straights where he is looking far ahead in the road. albeit when he crashes, he crashes HARD. I have no hopes or dreams of going that fast, and would not IF I could. this is "Track Day" speed.

http://vimeo.com/3950160

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
2 very insane yet very impressive videos.

I thought that there were a ton of cops on that road now. You never see anyone getting pulled over in these videos.

·
Registered
326 Posts
2 very insane yet very impressive videos.

I thought that there were a ton of cops on that road now. You never see anyone getting pulled over in these videos.
Thats because I dont think the Cop even had time to see him pass in front of him... he was just TOO fast... ;)

Seriously... I'm going there this summer but sincerely hope that this guy is NOT going to be on the US129 when me and my girl are going to be on it...:eek::eek::cool:

·
Registered
207 Posts
WOW. Thats incredible both are impressive but I never thought I would see some one on a gold wing kick a$$ on the twistys like that

·
Banned
918 Posts
WOW. Thats incredible both are impressive but I never thought I would see some one on a gold wing kick a$$ on the twistys like that
They've got a lot more ground clearance than harleys do.
They can run leaner and meaner.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Couple questions:

First, when did people in Tennessee start using the word awesome to mean suicidal?

Second, what the hell are they doing to that poor cat that caused it to yowl horribly like that for nine and a half minutes?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Second, what the hell are they doing to that poor cat that caused it to yowl horribly like that for nine and a half minutes?
Sound is way off on that R6. Sure it runs on very high RPM's but it has a lot deeper tone in reality, must be a poor mic on that camera.

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Wannab

anybody that crosses the centre line that often is not going to ever become an old fast rider.

I only watched less than a 1/4 of this video and counted 5 times the centre line was crossed at least two of those were just before blind corners where he could not possibly see through as you suggest.
If another bike was doing the same as this guy coming towards each other it will be a big mess.

The risk with this habit is one day you will think it is clear but a dark vehicle in a shadow then there will be a nasty crash.
As for crossing the centre before a blind corner that is plain dumb.

Is he quick, yes, but he certainly is not safe, not safe for himself or someone coming the other way.

Sorry but I cannot join in in the applause of such a dangerous riding habit as constantly crossing the centre line, it is a very, very bad habit.

I agree the guy can ride but he is not a safe road rider.

DaveM

·
Registered
472 Posts
Wannab

anybody that crosses the centre line that often is not going to ever become an old fast rider.

I only watched less than a 1/4 of this video and counted 5 times the centre line was crossed at least two of those were just before blind corners where he could not possibly see through as you suggest.
If another bike was doing the same as this guy coming towards each other it will be a big mess.

The risk with this habit is one day you will think it is clear but a dark vehicle in a shadow then there will be a nasty crash.

Is he quick, yes, but he certainly is not safe, not safe for himself or someone coming the other way.

Sorry but I cannot join in in the applause of such a dangerous riding habit as constantly crossing the centre line, it is a very, very bad habit.

DaveM
Agreed. He WILL meet himself [or worse some innocent road user] coming the other way one day and they can say 'hi' at whatever combined speed they are doing. Great rider, but save it for the track. I was gonna say what a tosser, but i thought best not on the forum.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wannab

DaveM
totally agree with you Dave, i went back to look at the video (thinking it was fall when it was shot). when all the trees are bare there are spots where you can look way down the road. but they looked to be close to full bloom. plus like you said a dark car in a shadow = death @ that speed. the gold wing is Rick Peppin, he got busted up there and sold his gold wing, but that was after getting his Iron Butt @ the gap. he did 1000 miles in 24 hours just from the store to the overlook and back, and back, and back LOL. the first time you see rick pull into the overlook, you would swear he was going to dump the gold wing pulling in. they used to have "neutral races" (engine off coasting) from the overlook to the bottom of the mountain and rick would always win those on that heavy gold wing. :D even before the cops stepped up enforcement there, there are plenty of roads that are better to ride in that area. Hwy 60 into GA for one, 28 into NC is pretty good to, and the skyway or blue ridge for that matter. if anyone travels here just for "the dragon" you are not doing yourself justice for a trip, if you dont get out and ride those roads too.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Sheesh...if I rode like that as a kid, I wouldn't be here today (tho I did drag a knee or two...). Wasn't a Bonnie rider center-punched by a Beemer rider who crossed the line....like a year or two ago? I was raised in Brevard, NC, so I've spent lots of two-wheel time on those and similar roads. Also, thinking about my grandmother coming around the corner in her Land-Barge is enough to keep me in my lane......

I'm old enough to reflect BEFOREHAND on the potential damage my actions may cause. It is called maturity. 'Course, I DO try to have some fun in the process!!! BUT....I don't like unnecessary pain, and try not to cause too much of it for myself and others. Fun doesn't have to hurt. Skill is one thing...proper place and usage is another.

I guess that "respect" means different things to different people. I try to respect others, and my body likes that I respect it....and I try to keep it from road rash.;)

Derswede

·
Registered
54 Posts
That Goldwing ride is very impressive.

The R6 is a load of crud though. The vid's been speeded up. If Yamaha's had damping that fast they would pogo all over the place. Also it's the reason that the sound it way off what it should be.

·
Registered
68 Posts
That Goldwing ride is very impressive.

The R6 is a load of crud though. The vid's been speeded up. If Yamaha's had damping that fast they would pogo all over the place. Also it's the reason that the sound it way off what it should be.

That's kind of what I was thinking.

·
Registered
79 Posts
this is one of the locals called tyler "the awesome" he drags his elbows at times. yes he lane crosses, but it is in straights where he is looking far ahead in the road. albeit when he crashes, he crashes HARD. I have no hopes or dreams of going that fast, and would not IF I could. this is "Track Day" speed.

http://vimeo.com/3950160
I dunno. On an R6 he should be much higher in the rev range if he's that skilled and fast at all. I think the low camera angle makes it look like he's going much faster than he really is. Furthermore, he is apexing way early and getting on the throttle way late in most of the corners.

Now the guy on the yellow wing? That was awesome!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts