Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
67 hp 82 ft/lbs on an 800 lb bike. Every other bike on the road around here is a street glide and it makes me kinda long for the days when I looked forward to the sound of a HD coming down the road. I totalled my 1290 SDR 2 weeks ago and the women in my life, (wife, daughter, mom) all want me to slow down. I promised to ride safer on the road but, BIG BUT like twism said my sdr ridden within reason of surrounding limitations is waay safer than any big fat underpowered overweight pig on the road and if the situation ever arises again that a kid pops out of the brush onto the road in front of me riding daddys tractor I want every advantage.
as for passenger comfort I think the GW is best, then the Trophy and right behind are the harley touring bikes. My wife was miserable on the back of both the 1700 storm and the R3 so I bought a GTL, it's better, she still wants a harley tho'. Ask the salesman for a look at the service dept at your HD dealer before you buy, The hd dealership buy me has more mechanic bays than bikes for sale! quite sobering for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Also, I get tired of the fact that I can only use a fraction of the street triple's performance on the public roads. And I don't have much fun riding it unless I'm riding like a complete idiot - lol. I really don't want to lose my license or injure/kill myself either...
Ans exactly for that reason my bike I no longer road legal - now I move my ass on race track only - safe way to get to use all the performance the bike has to offer.

And about the HD lifestyle - you need to know for your own if it's your thing to wear even boxers or socks with HD logo

Tomasz Szwarc
www.dynoKRAFT.de

·
Registered
526 Posts
So....the purpose of the original post was to seek a blessing? Start an argument? What were you looking for?

Clearly you've made up your mind. It's your money, your ride. What the rest of us say or care doesn't really matter does it?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
So....the purpose of the original post was to seek a blessing? Start an argument? What were you looking for?

Clearly you've made up your mind. It's your money, your ride. What the rest of us say or care doesn't really matter does it?
The purpose was to open a discussion that would maybe influence my decision. What was the purpose of your post?

For the time being I have decided to keep my street triple. I have pretty much made up my mind that my next bike will be the street glide though. I will most likely make the switch next summer.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
I'm seriously considering making a crazy decision. I'm very close to trading in my 2014 street triple r for a 2017 Harley Davidson street glide. I rode my father in-law's 2016 street glide and also test rode a 2017 at a dealer. They are so comfortable and relaxing to ride. It is therapeutic. My wife doesn't like to ride on my street triple because it is so uncomfortable. And honestly it isn't fun for me having a passenger either. On the street glide it is very comfortable for both of us.

Also, I get tired of the fact that I can only use a fraction of the street triple's performance on the public roads. And I don't have much fun riding it unless I'm riding like a complete idiot - lol. I really don't want to lose my license or injure/kill myself either. I'm just not very comfortable on the street triple. When I ride it, I feel like I automatically go into an aggressive state of mind and just want to go fast and corner hard, otherwise it isn't fun or worth the lack of comfort to me.

Those are the two reasons I ride a motorcycle. I don't understand all this talk of relaxing rides.

It is like the person who was telling me what they did with leftover wine. I got all confused because I did not understand the concept of leftover wine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
For the time being I have decided to keep my street triple. I have pretty much made up my mind that my next bike will be the street glide though. I will most likely make the switch next summer.

If you get the chance, ride one of the new Indians, can't comment on the new Milwaukee 8 motor, but the Indian is better in just about every way to the previous twins. Very very nice machines.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Why not give the new Triumoh retro's a try. For example the new Bobber or T120. Much better than a Harley. If you don't feel comfortable on your Striple then you have to find something else because life's too short for that! But there are so many better alternatives than overpriced, overweight Harley Davidsons.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ride whatever makes you smile. That said, I have no gripes about Harleys; Harley riders, different story. I did test ride an Indian Scout and Chieftain this past weekend. They are comfortable bikes and the Scout was a little sporty and you can make it 2-up with accessories; Chieftain, too big. If I was going to go "domestic" I'd go Indian.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Keep the Triple AND buy the Street Glide, too. It's only money. Life is short. And ignore the anti-Harley crowd here. They're just like the HD snobs who bash anything not made in 'Murica.

I've been on HDs since I was 19 yo - currently 54 and still love them. But I love damn near anything on two wheels. I hate riding a cage unless frozen stuff is falling from the sky.

(I have a 2009 Super Glide too that isn't in this shot of the current stable)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Seems to me that what is right for you is mostly a matter of taste or what pleases your senses.
After you consider what your riding needs and wants are, you research which motorcycles can fulfill them; and then go with your "smile meter".

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I can understand where the OP is coming from regarding the street triple.
When I was in SoCal the bike was in its element. Now in Az., hundreds of twisty miles are not around here. A more tour-oriented or "road" bike will be my next ride. And will probably be Japanese, as the nearest Triumph dealer is a couple hundred miles away.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Well, I ended up keeping the street triple all summer. I did another track day with it. It really is a great bike. I haven't ridden it much this summer though.

There is another bike that has caught my eye. One with significantly less chrome and weight, but with much more power. A KTM 1290 Super Duke GT. Looks like an awesome sport tourer with pretty much everything I am looking for and then some. They are hella expensive, but less than a Harley. I guess we will have to see how things shake out from here.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Well, I ended up keeping the street triple all summer. I did another track day with it. It really is a great bike. I haven't ridden it much this summer though.

There is another bike that has caught my eye. One with significantly less chrome and weight, but with much more power. A KTM 1290 Super Duke GT. Looks like an awesome sport tourer with pretty much everything I am looking for and then some. They are hella expensive, but less than a Harley. I guess we will have to see how things shake out from here.

I've ridden one. They haul a$$! And they have basically all the creature comforts you could want. It's very much on the sport side of sport touring. I enjoyed my time on it.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Can't compare a harley and a super duke, can't do it. The hd will destroy the gt in 2up or touring duties like the GT will destroy the HD stoplight to stoplight. The KTM will get more attention at the pub because it's different, secure folk will compliment you cowards will stick their noses in the air but, being a triumph guy you already know all about that. The GT gets different reviews by different size riders with light guys saying suspension is too stiff and heavy guys saying it's pretty good so you will want to try it. I managed 10500 miles on my 2015 I bought spring 2016 and 3000 miles on its replacement i bought in june and can say no surprises. Buying new leftovers has saved me $3500 on my 2015 and $5000 on my 2016 se and that puts the base r model at the same price as a base s3 so shopping CT for a new leftover gt should save you a pile of dough. The multistrada 1200s is a great bike though a bit more expensive to maintain. whatever you decide, good luck.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Can't compare a harley and a super duke, can't do it. The hd will destroy the gt in 2up or touring duties like the GT will destroy the HD stoplight to stoplight.

"Destroy" is a strong word. A lot of that depends on the rider. I have known people that toured on a 916 Ducati.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Looking back on 2 purchases Road King and Ultra Classic both needing 1550 engine upgrades; monies should have been invested instead not to mention the thousands on extended warranties and maintenance. Yamaha 5 year Warranty on the RSTD required only oil (Rotella T6 at 18.00 gallon) and brake pads plus a coolant change which was simple to do by oneself. Stator that went after 58,000 was replaced free. I was a happy camper when the Harley Game was exited for good.....and stupid me didn't learn from the first time.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Get what you want and like. You don't owe anyone explanation or justification. I recently (last week) traded my 2015 Low Rider for the 2018 Street Triple. In 2-1/2 years it had 6000 miles on it. I loved riding it. I didn't love the weight, and it was always the last choice to ride (I also have a Tiger 800 roadie).

I had some problems with finish issues and additionally had a problem with one of my fork seals letting go at 5000 miles. It puked oil all over my right leg, exhaust and brake rotor.

My SO also has the same model but is a 2016 and had a problem with his rear wheel bearings going bad, the bike was less than a year old. So I think the quality of these bikes is slipping.

When I tried to sell my bike outright I had ZERO interest in it. The market is flooded with HD models and unless yours is special in some way count on holding on to it for awhile. The Dyna was the first bike I have ever traded in.

YMMV. Bottom line, do what makes YOU happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 59 of 59 Posts